Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transmission noise "Memo"  (Read 2787 times)

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Transmission noise "Memo"
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »

My 2011 Softail has a noise in 5th gear, light load, that sounds like shaking a can of marbles. I can get it in any gear, but much worse in 5th. I had it test ridden by the dealer service manager and he said he heard it in 5th only and it is "normal". They have a memo from HD.  I guess my prevoius two 6 speeds that didn't do it were not normal.
Anyway, does anyone know about this Memo ?
Thanks.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Transmission noise "Memo"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »

My 2011 Softail has a noise in 5th gear, light load, that sounds like shaking a can of marbles. I can get it in any gear, but much worse in 5th. I had it test ridden by the dealer service manager and he said he heard it in 5th only and it is "normal". They have a memo from HD.  I guess my prevoius two 6 speeds that didn't do it were not normal.
Anyway, does anyone know about this Memo ?
Thanks.

If he has such a memo, tell him to show it to you.  It's quite possible that even if such a memo exists, it doesn't apply to your model and year.

The early Cruise Drive transmissions had noisy 5th gears because the trans used helical (quieter) gears for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th, but the old straight cut spur gears (noisier) for 1st and 5th.  I was under the impression they changed 5th to a helical gear to eliminate that noise complaint several years ago.

Edit:  I went back and verified that the change to fifth gear was made for the 2010 model year on all Big Twin transmissions, per Harley tech info.  So once again, ask him to haul out that "memo", it is probably the one that Harley put out a couple years before that change was made.  While it may have been normal in 2007-2009, the game changed in 2010 and that old memo doesn't apply.

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:23:38 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heydude723

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

I am having noise problems with a 2013 Road Glide CVO transmission 1300 miles, only when at operating temp. They gave me a service bulletin  M-1304 titled "Big Twin Neutral Rattle" sighting "normal manufacturing variations and tolerance stack-up" This may not be your issue, only when it is hot does it rattle. Accumulative Error / too much gear width when they get hot and grow in a confined space

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:13 AM »

The 6sp in the '09 was not particularly noisy, 'changed to Redline / shockproof on this fluid change, and was surprised at the difference that it made, quieter, smoother.
I think that HD has had some issues (main bearing?) with some of the CruiseDrive 6speeds, seems that some have them, some don't...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:55:18 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

I have noted the rattle in neutral in my 13 FLTRXSE as well. Thanks for posting that info. I also think that the whine in 1st is a bit much, but of course I get the standard answer “that is normal and expect to hear it in 6th too”, this is my first six speed, so I don’t know. Have you guys noticed a louder whine in 1st compared to the five speeds or even the fours?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

I have noted the rattle in neutral in my 13 FLTRXSE as well. Thanks for posting that info. I also think that the whine in 1st is a bit much, but of course I get the standard answer “that is normal and expect to hear it in 6th too”, this is my first six speed, so I don’t know. Have you guys noticed a louder whine in 1st compared to the five speeds or even the fours?

My '11 whines in 1st....but does not make any noise in 6th.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »

Try switching trans lube if you feel that is where its coming from. If you are running engine oil in trans,.. then that may all be taken care of with a real trans lube. I see a ton of bikes come in with the rear belt overly tight. I feel that they need to set to the very loose side. The pulley will grow in size as it heats up and the belt only gets tighter putting more strain on the trans shaft, bearing and seals.

As far as lube for the trans its just a gear box there is nothing earth shattering about it. Try a 85/140 gl5 fluid cheap test . You may end up reducing the rattle.  :2vrolijk_21:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.