Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!  (Read 75983 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Re: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »

I have a brand new in the box BDL 139T on the shelf you can have for 125.00 + shipping.

Call Alice if interested. 928-505-2912

Appreciate the offer Steve, but I already ordered one from BDL- wish I saw this post before I did. This is the Gates manufactured belt for anyone who is interested in it.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »

Appreciate the offer Steve, but I already ordered one from BDL- wish I saw this post before I did. This is the Gates manufactured belt for anyone who is interested in it.
I can't confirm the actual manufacture, Falcon and BDL are the names printed on the belt. But I can confirm this.
It is the exact belt myself and more than several other have been left sitting on the side of the road with. Not trying to rain on your parade, just help you
understand the direction you are heading. Best of luck.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 06:57:57 AM »

I can't confirm the actual manufacture, Falcon and BDL are the names printed on the belt. But I can confirm this.
It is the exact belt myself and more than several other have been left sitting on the side of the road with. Not trying to rain on your parade, just help you
understand the direction you are heading. Best of luck.

SG

Mine lasted 600 miles. It broke at 15mph.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

You are the new low mile record holder!

Rumor has it that Jim at Metal Dragon is going to be our new swingarm mod Guy. You didn't hear it from me.

SG

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »

I ordered my belt last week, apparently there are none to be had period.  I was told some blog :confused5: mentioned that the Falcon BDL was breaking with the 30t Andrews pulley and the word was that the Gates Belt was the way to go!  The Falcon belt is available, but they have no idea when the Gates belt listed below will be back in stock?  That was American Legends, but they said they checked with other vendors including Gates....none available anywhere?  Power of the BLOG!

-139 T Gates Poly belt-Mid USA #MU-77560

I'm likely going to go ahead with the 30T as well, and this is the belt I'm going with. It can be found at a discount from American Legends Motorcycles ($115.78)

Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »

I ordered my belt last week, apparently there are none to be had period.  I was told some blog :confused5: mentioned that the Falcon BDL was breaking with the 30t Andrews pulley and the word was that the Gates Belt was the way to go!  The Falcon belt is available, but they have no idea when the Gates belt listed below will be back in stock?  That was American Legends, but they said they checked with other vendors including Gates....none available anywhere?  Power of the BLOG!

-139 T Gates Poly belt-Mid USA #MU-77560

I'm likely going to go ahead with the 30T as well, and this is the belt I'm going with. It can be found at a discount from American Legends Motorcycles ($115.78)

I cancelled my order with American Legends because BDL said they had the Gates belt in stock (the guy went to the back and actually physically checked). Having said that, I don't think it shipped yet because I didn't get notified, and it didn't come off my credit card yet.

I'm not in a huge rush anyhow- I got some other mods to do ahead of this one.

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »

An update for anybody thinking about doing this mod. I did it, it was a piece of cake, and I have a total of $60 into it. $10 for a 1/4" x 3" x 5' flat stock (5' is minimum they sold), $20 to buy the grinding tool Steve recommended, $30 to the welder. I have a torch, so I mocked up my gusset with paper, then cut it out of the steel, and ground it to perfection (or until I was happy). I decided to pay somebody that welds all the time, so it looks better. Grinding the axle slot was like butter! I am so happy to have the stock belt back on, the belt breaking was always in the back of my mind. I will be listing the aftermarket belt in the for sale section if any body want is. I purchased it from Drag, it is in PERFECT shape, no signs of trouble.

Thanks for pioneering this Steve!! Big kudo's to you on this!!

95glide

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 01:56:23 AM »

got 92 miles on mine and snapped it in half.   :furious2:   starting swing arm mod tomorrow.   

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

FAST380,

A question for you on your mods, what did you do concerning the paint?  I wish you the best of luck and this is not intended to flame anyone.  How can you tell by looking at a belt that it is OK.  Honestly I'm not being a wise guy but if there is something to be learned here I'm all for it.  No doubt the mod is worth it it's just the amount of belts supplied from Drag is usually a Falcon and we know about there past history.  Maybe Drag uses a variety of suppliers for belts, hope you got a good one. 

Wouldn't it be great if belts could be supplied with a splice kit that was just as strong as the OEM,  it would make installing belts a snap.  I know I would worry less when on a long trip.  Would let me drop the hammer once in a while as well.

Any photos? 

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »

RayG,

As for the paint, it only messed up the drop out section. On the '09 and later the very rear of the swingarm is a cast section that is welded to the swingarm (at least that is what it looks like to me). I just taped off the main portion of the swingarm and painted the cast section. This may not be the answer if you don't have bags, but with bags you can't tell AT ALL!! As a matter a fact, my wife came out when my swingarm was sitting on my bench after I painted it, and asked if the whole thing got painted.

As for the Drag belt I took off, hell I have no idea how long it will last somebody. Some people have been running them with no problem. It will make a good backup for somebody. I looked pretty close when I took it off, because I was curious if I would see anything. To the naked eye, I didn't see anything.

Is your bike an '08? I am not even sure if modifying the swingarm on your year will work, totally different swingarm. I just know that I feel much better now that I have the OEM belt back on my bike.

Now don't laugh, my gusset is much bulkier than Steve's, but I wanted to have a lot of support, all the way up to supporting the  shock mount.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:24:42 PM by FAST380 »

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »

Fast380,

I guess you are fast!  Thanks for not taking my input in a negative fashion.  If I had your year bike I would have done the swingarm mods for sure.  You did a good job and you are right with the bags on who is going to notice.  I do have an 08 which makes for a shorter belt than what you have.  The information was on the site as to the correct OEM part number for the 136T but I failed to use the OEM and went with an aftermarket belt and sprocket purchased through Jennie.  I had a choice I just chose poorly.  I'm just going out on a limb here but after looking at the air bubbles on the Falcon there is no doubt that they could not all be manufactured the same way or they would all fail.  Since this issue is so well discussed I do believe that anyone that compared them closely would notice.  Apparently they have made changes as I'm sure you would have noticed it when you made the change.  Allot of work on your part for piece of mind but then these bikes have a way of making us a little paranoid at times.  I hope others take your lead.

Nice Job

Ray G.   

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »

RayG,

As for the paint, it only messed up the drop out section. On the '09 and later the very rear of the swingarm is a cast section that is welded to the swingarm (at least that is what it looks like to me). I just taped off the main portion of the swingarm and painted the cast section. This may not be the answer if you don't have bags, but with bags you can't tell AT ALL!! As a matter a fact, my wife came out when my swingarm was sitting on my bench after I painted it, and asked if the whole thing got painted.

As for the Drag belt I took off, hell I have no idea how long it will last somebody. Some people have been running them with no problem. It will make a good backup for somebody. I looked pretty close when I took it off, because I was curious if I would see anything. To the naked eye, I didn't see anything.

Is your bike an '08? I am not even sure if modifying the swingarm on your year will work, totally different swingarm. I just know that I feel much better now that I have the OEM belt back on my bike.

Now don't laugh, my gusset is much bulkier than Steve's, but I wanted to have a lot of support, all the way up to supporting the  shock mount.
Good job!

SG

BMAC III

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »

Does the "gusset mod" leave plenty of room for belt adjustment later?

BMac

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »

Well, you can grind as much of the axle slot as you want, making for more adjustment, but also making the back wall thinner. I do not know how much a belt stretches over a lifetime, anybody??

mule

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »

I have done the modification [thanks for the idea Steve] and works great I milled mine instead of grinding, the biggest problem I have is adjusting the belt, my axle wrench no longer will fit [interferes with the shock mount] If on the road this will be difficult without removing muffler there is no room to get on the nut except with a open end wrench. jmho
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 20 queries.