Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch lever hard to pull..  (Read 18542 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: Hydraulic clutch lever hard to pull..
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »

Quote from Grizzley:  "The other option I've been informed of is with the hydraulic system many (especially the police who are complaining about the clutches on the newer bikes) many are changing to a adjustable clutch lever."

Grizzley is correct, Motor Officers have had issues with hydraulic clutches vs. cable. The issue isn't the tension, it's where the clutch actually grabs (the friction zone). With a cable clutch you can add a lot of freeplay which brings the lever closer to the grip, this is especially important in motorskills competition where you ride in the friction zone and can find your hand cramping up, (similar to heavy stop and go traffic). With freeplay added lever stays closer and you have better leverage.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »

OK, now we're cooking.  If she is interested in a regular model with the regular clutch, then my previous recommendation to check out the ClutchWIZ is still good.  As I said, several people on the site have installed the product and gave it good reviews, so it might be worth a look.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »

Grizzly I am really surprised she finds the clutch hard to pull on the limited low. I am 5'6 and found the low to almost be too small. I loved the reduced primary cover and transmission cover and the fact that I could flat foot. I hated the handle bars but the grips were tiny and allows you to get more finger to the clutch and brake lever.

I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part... However, in my wife's case she dislocated her thumb last fall and still in therapy for it.  So naturally this has made things much more difficult than usual to operate any type of clutch.

Thanks again Jerry, and we might just have to go that route, although I'm thinking rather than buy an old bike, buy new technology and simply swap out the hydraulic clutch for the old style AND your idea still works!  I just want to ensure that this would be the best option.  Hopefully one of our local police departments will soon either go with the adjustable levers or install a cable clutch on their new bikes and we can try both out.

Don't want to gross anyone out, but this is what my wife's hand looked like just a few months ago...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:32:21 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »

Wow that is bad! 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »

Ok now that you mention that I  understand lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »

You see, I just knew as soon as I posted the pic of my wife's dislocated thumb that you'd all be grossed out, you couldn't stand to even look at it and then the solutions to our problem would stop flowing.  ;D

I certainly appreciate all the assistance thus far, and if you have any further suggestions, we're all ears... I just have to get my ridding buddy back in the saddle some how???

Thanks!
Grizzly

PS - Her hand looks much, much better now.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 02:04:15 PM »

All ears or all thumbs? Haha just kidding!

Hope you get this issue resolved soon!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:19 AM »

You see, I just knew as soon as I posted the pic of my wife's dislocated thumb that you'd all be grossed out, you couldn't stand to even look at it and then the solutions to our problem would stop flowing.  ;D

I certainly appreciate all the assistance thus far, and if you have any further suggestions, we're all ears... I just have to get my ridding buddy back in the saddle some how???

Thanks!
Grizzly

PS - Her hand looks much, much better now.  :2vrolijk_21:

Grizzly,

There's an old and well-proven technology available now for HDs.  It's been in use for mini-bikes, go-karts, and other equipment for 50+ years.  Check out the Rekluse EXP automatic (centrifugal) clutch for HD: http://rekluse.com/exp_hd.shtml.  I also had a dislocated thumb, and nearly got one of these (still may have to if thumb degenerates with time).  Saw it in action on a CVO RK at Sturgis in 2014; sure saves the clutch hand in stop-and-go traffic.

It's fully automatic, but can still be operated manually when you want.  Here's the only down-side I know of with an automatic clutch:  You no longer have the "parking brake" function of putting your bike in gear to park it on a hill, since the clutch is disengaged when the engine is not turning over.  The company recommends a velcro strap around the front brake lever to hold the front brake engaged, which seems unreliable to me--but if you can live with that, this may be a solution.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:07:24 AM by DoubleCoppers »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:44 AM »

Grizzly,

There's an old and well-proven technology available now for HDs.  It's been in use for mini-bikes, go-karts, and other equipment for 50+ years.  Check out the Rekluse EXP automatic (centrifugal) clutch for HD: http://rekluse.com/exp_hd.shtml.  I also had a dislocated thumb, and nearly got one of these (still may have to if thumb degenerates with time).  Saw it in action on a CVO RK at Sturgis in 2014; sure saves the clutch hand in stop-and-go traffic.

It's fully automatic, but can still be operated manually when you want.  Here's the only down-side I know of with an automatic clutch:  You no longer have the "parking brake" function of putting your bike in gear to park it on a hill, since the clutch is disengaged when the engine is not turning over.  The company recommends a velcro strap around the front brake lever to hold the front brake engaged, which seems unreliable to me--but if you can live with that, this may be a solution.  Good luck.

Thanks very much for this tip... I will definitely check it out.

My dealer was suggesting an automatic setup as well, only problem was he was talking in the $5,000.00 range!   :o

Your idea I can certainly handle.  Thanks again!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 12:42:41 AM »

My dealer was suggesting an automatic setup as well, only problem was he was talking in the $5,000.00 range!   :o

:o is right!  Is that thing made out of gold? Platinum?  What is this system dealer wants?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 12:54:18 AM »

:o is right!  Is that thing made out of gold? Platinum?  What is this system dealer wants?

I fainted too quick to ask!

When I came to, I forgot all of what he said.  ;D

I knew I didn't want to even go there, so I changed the topic.

I can't believe he was speaking of this $800 one... Surely the labour wouldn't bump it up anywhere near $5k!

I'm thankfull for the lead received here in a prior post and doing further investigating on it.

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

• CVO1: 2012 SERG CVO
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »

I installed a Rekluse clutch this winter.....it works like a centrifugal clutch on a mini-bike, but you still use it doing "speed changes"....but that not as hard on the hand after first.  It really does work and if you rode my bike and I didn't tell you you'd probably never know it was installed as you can override and pull the clutch in.  It engages the clutch at about 900 RPM. 

The only negative is you can't leave it in gear for an added "parking brake".  They supply some Velcro straps to pull the brake to hold the bike.  Works fine. 

The part runs about $750 + install id you can't do it yourself.   May be a viable option.  I mainly bought it because my clutch seems to be squishy and inconsistent at about 20%....and in slow cornering, parade/stop and go.  It doesn't fundamentally change the bike other than take offs.  You'll still engage for higher rev changes, but slow speeds where you can get revs down (think lolly gagging through a park) you can change up and down by rolling off and timing your shifts. 

Feel free to contact if you have questions.

Sidecar Dan

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

2timen

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXR2 Stone Cold Blue
    • CVO2: FXR3 Blue Flame
    • CVO3: FXR4 Yellow Pearl
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »

My wife had problems with the clucth pull on her 2015 CVO streetglide. I did looked into my options. Not many with the A&S clutch on all the 2013-2015 CVOs. I replaced the A&S clutch with the standard clutch (like on my 2012 CVO) put in the Energy one preformance cluth pack and the clutchwiz with 480# spring. Helped alot and hooks up faster. She is much happier now.
99 FXR2
99 FXR3
00 FXR4
01 FXDWG2
03 FLSTCI
04 FLSTCI
04 FXST
12 FLTRXSE
09 Roush 427R
15 FLHXSE
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 21 queries.