Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - Hot Start Issue  (Read 1549 times)

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
Help - Hot Start Issue
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »

2013 CVO R/K 50,000 K's (31,000 miles)

Doesn't like to start when hot, needs a little rest and will fire right back up? I have just replaced the starter clutch based on what the stealership told me, but after a rip on Saturday to try out my new gloves and the starter clutch, no luck....just cranks over, not even a sputter.....give it a few minutes and braaaaap braaaap again.

Thoughts???

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Help - Hot Start Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »

Sounds like vapor lock, which is caused by the fuel getting hot and turning from liquid to vapor.  It's far more common in summer, but winter fuel vaporizes more easily than summer blends.  When the fuel cools back to liquid, the bike starts again.

Since the fuel pump and filter are in the tank, the likely place for the vapor bubble to form is in the fuel line external to the tank.  This would be the fuel line from the tank, the fuel injection portion, and the return line to the tank.  When these cool down, all's good.

I would consider replacing the fuel filter (it's inside the tank), and while you're in there, check all the tubing for the fuel pump system.  Some bikes have had problems with the tubing developing holes, and the symptoms can mimic (and might be) typical vapor lock.  Check the pump to make sure it's at full strength.

Last item:  What you described is classic vapor lock, and is nothing like a bad starter clutch.  If the stealership guy was working from the same symptoms...I wouldn't trust him in the future.   :o
If you want peace, prepare for war.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »

Is Loneworlf Performance still around Vancouver/Nanaimo?  Heard good things about them.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:27 AM »

Is Loneworlf Performance still around Vancouver/Nanaimo?  Heard good things about them.
I think Russel is still in business.

Phone: 250-616-6059

1621 Bowen Road
Nanaimo, British Columbia
V9S1G7 - CA

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 06:21:50 AM »

How old is your battery? Heat produces higher resistance in electrical systems. Even though your bike turns over the voltage drop may be just enough to cause the ECU to malfunction.
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune
Ephesians 2:8

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »

Ya, the guy at the stealership is no longer there..weird eh. The battery is new last year, and I've been dealing with this issue for prob three seasons. Not usually an issue when riding solo or with a buddy as another couple minutes rest isn't an issue, only when riding in group rides. Sucks being the guy who throws out the "hey, I need a couple more minutes" as everyone is firing up. I'll check into tank filter, and any other suggestions people have before I send off to a shop.

Cheers
2013 CVO RoadKing

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »

Next time that happens remove the fuel cap to see if it starts.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »

Next time that happens remove the fuel cap to see if it starts.

Done that plenty of times. But now that you mention it, I am on my third gas cap. All of a sudden after filling up, I'd take off and within a mile I'd have gas puking out of the closed cap. Turns out the venting was bad ($100 Canadian each time for a new cap). The newest one is a new design, so they obviously knew there was a problem. I wonder if these problems are from the same issue....I'll have to keep my eye on this.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'll try just about everything before I go back to the dealership. The local one.....I'll push my bike in the river before taking it back there. The next is only an hour away, so not terrible.

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 10:50:19 AM »

A friend of mine had that problem after fill up. Opened the gas cap and it would start. Can't remember the fix after that so let me reach out to him.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 10:22:41 AM »

Change the plugs.
Had the same thing hard starting sometimes would just crank other times would backfire via exhaust and intake I changed the plugs just as an elimination and found it would fire up straight away every time after changing them.
Now I include plus every 5k on oil change havn't had any starting issues since.
I do use the stock required plus.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 26 queries.