Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33

Author Topic: HD Dealerships That Have Closed or Are Closing  (Read 170855 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: HD Dealerships That Have Closed or Are Closing
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2011, 01:03:31 AM »

Here's a question,,, These dealerships closing all have their Harley sales territory. Once the dealership is gone, what happens to this territory?  :nixweiss: Does Mother Harley leave these open for future franchise purchase?  Or do they divvy it up with nearby stores still in business..   Someday when this economy turns around i can see hords of investors gobbling back up these territories..

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2011, 07:27:11 AM »

Harley-Davidson purposefully diminishes it's dealer network. They want less but stronger dealers worldwide. I doubt they will enlarge again in a better economy. 
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »

Here's a question,,, These dealerships closing all have their Harley sales territory. Once the dealership is gone, what happens to this territory?  :nixweiss: Does Mother Harley leave these open for future franchise purchase?  Or do they divvy it up with nearby stores still in business..   Someday when this economy turns around i can see hords of investors gobbling back up these territories..

When a dealership goes away Harley-Davidson is typically leaving it empty these days and the surrounding dealers territories increase.  They do reserve the right to re-visit the territory if the market warrants, but they know that's not going to happen anytime soon.  There are a few situations in the country where dealer's are not making it, but the market is such that they will be replaced if they fail, but these are few and far between.

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »

I think a VW has a better chance of winning the Indy 500, than we do seeing this economy recover to the point where investors gobbling anything.   

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

DOOFUS

« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

This is nuts -- but no shocker. It's nuts because she just built that new building. No shocker because the dc area is loaded with arrogant dealers who never deal. Only one or two really try.

Harley-Davidson of Maryland Closing

http://www.harleydavidsonofmaryland.com/default.asp?page=promo3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »

This is nuts -- but no shocker. It's nuts because she just built that new building. No shocker because the dc area is loaded with arrogant dealers who never deal. Only one or two really try.

It's a shame, but doesn't surprise me either.  I think that there will be more closing in the DC area, unless the owners get with the program and realize that the days of charging MSRP and over, are gone.  Some I think, are hoping to weather out the storm and maintain their arrogance by charging up to $5K over MSRP for a CVO.  Even my dealer, which used to be a "take it or leave it" dealer has "seen the light" and will now deal to get you on one of their bikes.  It's not a question of the strong surviving, but the smart.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mlb3164

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: Wanna be CVO 2010 FLHX 120R
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »

My local dealer received a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 CVO that they had in the back getting ready for the showroom. After I finished drooling and contemplating trading my 09 FLHTCUSE4 on it I thought of my friend. I told him about the bike and he and his wife stopped by the dealer the very next afternoon perfectly ready to buy. When they arrived they walked around the dealer for a good 20 minutes before anyone spoke to them and they finally had to ask someone where the salesman was.  He has a 2005 Ultra Classic in mint shape with around 45,000 miles he wanted to trade. First off they low balled him on what they could give him for his bike and then told him he would need to bring it in to service for them to go evaluate before they could even make him an offer. After this they said the 2011 was going to be $2,000.00 over MSRP and with all the dealer fluff added on top of that!!!! They said they do this with all their "special CVO" bikes because they are so hard to get. Needless to say they walked out of the dealer with a very bad taste in their mouth. Me and him road to Concord the next day and he saw a Limited that he really liked. Long story short they came off MSRP on this bike, gave him more than he had expected for his 2005 (sight unseen I might add) gave him a $200.00 gift card and 25% off any accessories he wanted. The salesman, sales manager and GM were all super nice and bent over backwards to make his purchase pain free. He is now the proud owner of a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited. My local dealer has no concept of customer service or trying to create any loyalty with patrons. I work in sales and it is all I can do to keep the customers I have in this economy much less win over new ones. I see a bleak future for my local dealer.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2011, 02:41:16 PM »

My local dealer received a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 CVO that they had in the back getting ready for the showroom. After I finished drooling and contemplating trading my 09 FLHTCUSE4 on it I thought of my friend. I told him about the bike and he and his wife stopped by the dealer the very next afternoon perfectly ready to buy. When they arrived they walked around the dealer for a good 20 minutes before anyone spoke to them and they finally had to ask someone where the salesman was.  He has a 2005 Ultra Classic in mint shape with around 45,000 miles he wanted to trade. First off they low balled him on what they could give him for his bike and then told him he would need to bring it in to service for them to go evaluate before they could even make him an offer. After this they said the 2011 was going to be $2,000.00 over MSRP and with all the dealer fluff added on top of that!!!! They said they do this with all their "special CVO" bikes because they are so hard to get. Needless to say they walked out of the dealer with a very bad taste in their mouth. Me and him road to Concord the next day and he saw a Limited that he really liked. Long story short they came off MSRP on this bike, gave him more than he had expected for his 2005 (sight unseen I might add) gave him a $200.00 gift card and 25% off any accessories he wanted. The salesman, sales manager and GM were all super nice and bent over backwards to make his purchase pain free. He is now the proud owner of a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited. My local dealer has no concept of customer service or trying to create any loyalty with patrons. I work in sales and it is all I can do to keep the customers I have in this economy much less win over new ones. I see a bleak future for my local dealer.

My local dealer received a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 CVO

Who is your local dealer?

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »

ABC Harley Davidson in Waterford Mi has the windows covered with paper and the doors Chained shut. I guess they could be remodeling but why chain the doors?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »

Harley-Davidson of Maryland Closing

http://www.harleydavidsonofmaryland.com/default.asp?page=promo3

Strange--the owner retires and the place closes? Why not sell and keep the buisiness alive?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »

Strange--the owner retires and the place closes? Why not sell and keep the buisiness alive?

Selling is much harder than you think.
The Motor Company has to approve the buyer.
The Motor Company has a dealer on a leash and controls more than you can imagine.
The days of anyone with a few million extra chingalings buying into a dealership and making a killing are over.
It's typically a ten mil nut with no guarantee of a big return.
Such is life in the fast lane.

:nervous:     :nervous:      :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »

Selling is much harder than you think.
The Motor Company has to approve the buyer.
The Motor Company has a dealer on a leash and controls more than you can imagine.
The days of anyone with a few million extra chingalings buying into a dealership and making a killing are over.
It's typically a ten mil nut with no guarantee of a big return.
Such is life in the fast lane.

:nervous:     :nervous:      :nervous:

SBB

So Chip, You goin in  :nixweiss:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

ABC Harley Davidson in Waterford Mi has the windows covered with paper and the doors Chained shut. I guess they could be remodeling but why chain the doors?
Chains on doors looks like receivership.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.