Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: HD Dealerships That Have Closed or Are Closing  (Read 170858 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: HD Dealerships That Have Closed or Are Closing
« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

Unfortunately H-D was so focused on the customer experience they forced dealers into facilities (Taj Mahal's)that were projected to be profitable on unsustainable volumes both in new bikes and parts/accessories.  While we all enjoy walking into a new building that is gigantic and magnificent it isn't always realistic to have such a facility in some markets. 

As I watched to network grow (knowing the cost of my car store) I wondered what the new owners were seeing that I didn't that would make a new H-D facility profitable and maintainable.  Now it appears the rush to get on the H-D train has certainly hit the skids since 2008 not unlike many industries that relied on consumption, often conspicuous consumption of the target audience.  Now with the economy on the skids and continuing to stay there, many people with Harley's, sport cars for sunny days, second/third homes etc. etc. have come to a realization that they can't continue to spend with wreckless abandon and have stopped comsuming.

Those of us that are in the business of selling lifestyle have all found out the improtance of having a business plan that is sustainable in a down economy, many H-D stores were doomed from the start in my opinion.  Now the dealer network is shrinking to a natural level of locations and the better dealer operators will survive. 

Not saying the customer will see it that way from improved service in some locations, that's simply an individual dealers choice to please a customer or not.  I would be surprised if the above quoted number of closures isn't even larger that stated.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #331 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »

Working in Reidsville, NC this week.  See that Wolf Creek HD is closed.  Looks like they had a nice building anyway.  I belive that they were a SRL from Greensboro HD.
Spada84
NoSofa!

charlie

« Reply #332 on: November 01, 2011, 04:33:04 AM »

I don't know if this has been said before, because I did not read all 24 pages, but Harley requires a total redo on any store 10 years old. That could coast the owner in the Millions of dollars. I know of a dealer that had 2 stores and closed one because of the cost of the remodel was not wort it in this economy.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #333 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »

I don't know if this has been said before, because I did not read all 24 pages, but Harley requires a total redo on any store 10 years old. That could coast the owner in the Millions of dollars. I know of a dealer that had 2 stores and closed one because of the cost of the remodel was not wort it in this economy.
That MIGHT be true, but the largest dealer in the greater Milwaukee area as I understand,
has told HD numerous times "POUND SAND". They are still in the same old building for as long
as I can remember. I'll bet they are still laughing all the way to the bank, especially since
the economy tanked.
The "TAZMUN"

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #334 on: November 11, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »

Harley does not require a dealership to do a total redo just because a store is 10 years old. That being said, there are updates to fixtures that may, or may not be required/suggested, both free standing and on the walls.  And yes, that can cost tens of thousands of dollars; however, not doing the updates does not have dire consequences.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »

Harley does not require a dealership to do a total redo just because a store is 10 years old. That being said, there are updates to fixtures that may, or may not be required/suggested, both free standing and on the walls.  And yes, that can cost tens of thousands of dollars; however, not doing the updates does not have dire consequences.
So they're just trying to 'help'.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »

Harley does not require a dealership to do a total redo just because a store is 10 years old. That being said, there are updates to fixtures that may, or may not be required/suggested, both free standing and on the walls.  And yes, that can cost tens of thousands of dollars; however, not doing the updates does not have dire consequences.

Um, not sure where you're getting your info, and while age is just part of the equation, you are wrong about the updates not being manditory and in many cases crippling expensive.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:38:33 AM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »

Um, not sure where you're getting your info, and while age is just part of the equation, you are wrong about the updates not being manditory and in many cases crippling expensive.

About the updates

Um, not sure where you're getting your info, and while its not

Anyone immediately think of dealerships they visit that have not had major facelifts in the last ten years?  I can think of a few within riding distance of me.  Don't really care one way or the other what Harley might try to make them do.  Just don't remember this seeming applied as universally as is being suggested; at least among the shops I see occasionally.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »

Anyone immediately think of dealerships they visit that have not had major facelifts in the last ten years?  I can think of a few within riding distance of me.  Don't really care one way or the other what Harley might try to make them do.  Just don't remember this seeming applied as universally as is being suggested; at least among the shops I see occasionally.
Local dealer was discussing this with the 'rep' when I was by just last week.  Measuring wall panel displays, etc.  Don't know if it's 'required' or not, but apparently still going on. :-\  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #339 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »

Um, I'm getting my information from being a Dealer for nearly two decades and no mandatory facelifts done in that time.  Yes, there are times when they encourage upgrades and are currently working with some dealers to update their interior slatwall and free standing fixtures and yes, in many cases it will not be cheap.  However, if a dealer does not do it, there are no dire consequences being held over us.  So, you are not correct, or your source is putting their own spin to it which is fairly common.  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:07:48 PM by harley56 »

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #340 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »

Um, I'm getting my information from being a Dealer for nearly two decades and no no mandatory facelifts done in that time.  Yes, there are times when they encourage upgrades and are currently working with some dealers to update their interior slatwall and free standing fixtures and yes, in many cases it will not be cheap.  However, if a dealer does not do it, there are no dire consequences being held over us.  So, you are not correct, or your source is putting their own spin to it which is fairly common.  :)

Aaaannnnnnd, check mate!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:13 PM »

Um, I'm getting my information from being a Dealer for nearly two decades and no no mandatory facelifts done in that time.  Yes, there are times when they encourage upgrades and are currently working with some dealers to update their interior slatwall and free standing fixtures and yes, in many cases it will not be cheap.  However, if a dealer does not do it, there are no dire consequences being held over us.  So, you are not correct, or your source is putting their own spin to it which is fairly common.  :)

For obvious reasons I'm not going to go into this publicly, but the fact is, I think it's a little silly for you to sit here and state with authority that just because you were not forced to build a big box, that nobody ever was, especially in a major market. It's unreasonable to suggest that they are lying and you have some kind of an exclusive on all individual MOCO dealer relationships, unless you're also claiming Keith runs all issues past you as well. I'm not sure where in Northern CA you are, nor what sq/ft you have in relation to the size of the market, or the density of other dealers, but I would have to assume your penetration ratio - whatever that is, must be more acceptable than these guys were. And yes, one partnership refused and was given no good alternative but to sell (yes he called it forced), and the other guy built the big box and will eventually loose alot, if not everything. I'm thankful for your sake you were not put in the same situation, but I've known these guys way before and after, and there's just nothing to lie about.  Good luck.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #342 on: November 18, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »

I can think of two dealers with in 70 miles of me that have not had any facelifts in the past ten years, or longer.

If one of them were to do a facelift or major out lay it would be the nail that puts him out of business.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #343 on: November 18, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »

For obvious reasons I'm not going to go into this publicly, but the fact is, I think it's a little silly for you to sit here and state with authority that just because you were not forced to build a big box, that nobody ever was, especially in a major market. It's unreasonable to suggest that they are lying and you have some kind of an exclusive on all individual MOCO dealer relationships, unless you're also claiming Keith runs all issues past you as well. I'm not sure where in Northern CA you are, nor what sq/ft you have in relation to the size of the market, or the density of other dealers, but I would have to assume your penetration ratio - whatever that is, must be more acceptable than these guys were. And yes, one partnership refused and was given no good alternative but to sell (yes he called it forced), and the other guy built the big box and will eventually loose alot, if not everything. I'm thankful for your sake you were not put in the same situation, but I've known these guys way before and after, and there's just nothing to lie about.  Good luck.

This is what I hate about computer conversations.  A couple of sentences on a screen with no face-to-face interaction can be less than ideal.  My response to Charlie was "Harley does not require a dealership to do a total redo just because a store is 10 years old."  I stand by that, that's simply untrue.  You say "I think it's a little silly for you to sit here and state with authority that just because you were not forced to build a big box, that nobody ever was."  I did not say that, but evidently that's how it came across.  Harley does require dealerships to meet their facility guidelines and that includes total size of the facility and many dealers have had to build larger facilities to satisfy Harley's requirements.  They have been doing this since way before I became a dealer.  I do not know the situation of the guys you are talking about and no, I don't think they're lying - I wish the remaining partner well, it's not alot of fun these days.        

Personally, Im pretty sure the building of bigger facilities is not much of an issue these days, but no, Keith hasn't contacted me about all the individual relationships he has dealer development working on, ;D  These days Harley is pretty much concentrating on dealers having fixtures, store graphics, interior signage and lighting that meets their standards.  That was the context my original post was meant.  Can it be expensive, yes, do I agree with all their requirements, not necessarily.  Do I expect to be terminated if all does not get done - no.   Take Care.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:54:40 PM by harley56 »

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
Zanotti HD Closing its doors
« Reply #344 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »

I recently ordered some parts from the Zanetti internet dept and along with the order confirmation, I received the following info re: the closing of the store on Dec 31.  Just wanted to pass the info on.

As most of you may or may not know the owner of Zanotti is retiring and the store will be closing Dec 31. The Internet service will have to stop at some point. The folks doing the Internet for Zanotti are discussing continuing the Internet service with another dealer. It is looking good at this point. It will have the same people and service that was provided thru Zanotti. However, it will be a slow start to get everything set up with the new dealer.

At this point we are hoping to be able to do the following. We would be able to recieve the paypal orders thru Zanotti's untill the end of December. Paypal orders would be paid and shipped thru the new dealer. We can also do some small phone orders thru Zanotti's untill the end of December. Phone hours would be somewhat limited due to the transition period and manning. Again the order being paid and shipped thru the new dealer.

Those of us that do the Internet at Zanotti are dedicated to making the transition as smooth as we can. We know there will be bumps along the way. We hope that will not discourage you from keeping us in mind for all your parts and accessory needs. We will be letting customers know the new web site for ordering as soon as it is available.

All current orders will be shipped as we get the parts. Any parts on backorder that have an estimated release date after Dec 31 will be canceled and credited to the customer. We are not able to order painted/primed parts, speedometers that require mileage at this time.
Thanks,
John H
Zanotti's
724-283-5419
Telephone hours: Monday - Friday 12:00PM to 2:00 PM Eastern
Live Help M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM on web page: www.zanottimotor.com
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.