Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: single front disc  (Read 8323 times)

hogasm

single front disc
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »

Installed a single 13" front disc from Performance Machine and their 6 piston caliper. Used the stock 11/16 bore master cylinder. Brake feels mushy.

What difference does the 9/16 bore have from the 11/16 bore master cylinder when used with a single disc and caliper?

Should I switch out the 11/16 for a 9/16 when using the single caliper?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: single front disc
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »

Which bike? No pictures? :nixweiss:

:worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »

Yes is the short answer.

I went the other way on a build and had similar results.

How do you feel you did on the bleeding of the brakes? Do you have a firm lever but a soft brake? (sounds all wrong! ;) ) I believe your moving the volume of fluid but it's pressure you after which the larger bore MC isn't giving you. Than again I could be wrong. :)
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »

You need the single caliper master (9/16") for proper operation. As puzzled stated, you won't get the right pressure. I had a caliper go bad on a '95 Dyna and plugged one port of the Ness brakeline tee before I fixed it. The brake feel and response was definitely noticibly worse. That was enough proof for me. I run a single caliper master on a single 4-piston differential bore PM front brake on my Pro Street. Brakes are great. No problem whatsoever! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »

Installed a single 13" front disc from Performance Machine and their 6 piston caliper. Used the stock 11/16 bore master cylinder. Brake feels mushy.

What difference does the 9/16 bore have from the 11/16 bore master cylinder when used with a single disc and caliper?

I have ridden a few touring bikes where the right front caliper has been removed to show more of a custom front wheel, and the original 11/16" bore front master cylinder was retained.  There was very little lever movement before the brake began to apply because the master cylinder was displacing enough fluid for two calipers, but it took more lever effort once the brake did apply.  Your front brake lever should have less travel now that you have only one caliper.  It definitely should not be mushy.

"He who has no brakes will stop at nothing." 
 - words of wisdom seen scrawled in the salt-spray-covered back door of a semi trailer

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »

New front tire

Metzler 880   120 on 21"x3.25" Performance Machine rim   and 6 piston caliper with 13" rotor

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:19:05 PM »

Left side.......oh yea new front fender.

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »

Waiting on flush axle kit and a few other misc OCD parts

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »

Brian,
That looks awesome, good job. :coolblue: :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 11:36:59 PM »

Wow Brian it looks fantastic. As you know I am doing a wheel swap as well but I didn't do the 21 I wish I would have but it wasn't in the cards. I am going to retain the dual disc though just in case I ever sell it i can keep my wheels. And I like the stopping power of two discs. But I want to see a full side view of your bike it must be great. Later Bro,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »

That looks great Brian :2vrolijk_21:

Where did you get the paint codes? From the photo's it looks right on :)

Is that a fat baggers front fender? If not, it sure looks like one.

Lookin' good  :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »

Brian, there might be some slight differences in "feel" of the front brake lever.  But "mushy" should not be it.  Especially given the overall small volume of fluid bled is bled.  It's actually a lot more of an issue going to dual brakes with a smaller master cylinder than it is the other way around. 

The bike is an 04.  So it's probably got DOT 5 (aka, silicone) brake fluid in it.  Any time you've got a mushy brake pedal on a DOT 5 system blame the fluid until proven otherwise.  It is so easy to entrain air in that fluid.  If you pumped the lever fast during braking you caused a problem.  If bottle of fluid got shook up much in handling really anytime in the couple of weeks prior to its use you caused a problem.  DOT 5 is good stuff (for it's purpose).  But it's a pain in the arse to work with.

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:38:06 PM »

That looks great Brian :2vrolijk_21:

Where did you get the paint codes? From the photo's it looks right on :)

Is that a fat baggers front fender? If not, it sure looks like one.

Lookin' good  :drink:

Milwalkee Iron I think makes Fat Baggers fender. All the measurements are the same and costs half as much

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:19 PM »

Switched to a 9/16 master cylinder. Will see Wednesday if it makes any difference.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 08:52:59 PM »

Milwalkee Iron I think makes Fat Baggers fender. All the measurements are the same and costs half as much

I wish I'd have known that before I got bent over by fat baggers! Damn!!

hogasm

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »

Mark, I did buy the bracket from them. 79.99 + S & H.

Paint job looks great. Had John St.Claire re paint  the bike. While the parts were there he painted the new finder.

He matched the colors perfect :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:09:19 PM »

I wish I'd have known that before I got bent over by fat baggers! Damn!!

Mark after all you got into that beautiful front end, what's another chrome MC! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »

Mark, I did buy the bracket from them. 79.99 + S & H.

Paint job looks great. Had John St.Claire re paint  the bike. While the parts were there he painted the new finder.

He matched the colors perfect :2vrolijk_21:

You had the whole bike repainted?  Why?

That must look awesome in person! The pictures look fantastic!!

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »

You had the whole bike repainted?  Why?

That must look awesome in person! The pictures look fantastic!!

Had the front end repainted. After Daytona I am leaving the bike with John so he can paint the rest. He is in Orlando, well close to it.

Bessie has had a few mishaps in her life, she needed a new coat.

hogasm

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 10:46:41 AM »

Grover wanted me to post this so his pain would be lifted a little ::)

Part # for fender adapter for a 21" front wheel is
Drag# 1410-0021    Dealer cost $54.90    Sugg retail $79.95

You need to use a 5.5" fender for a 21" wheel

The one I used is a Milwalkee Iron Cow Catcher
Sugg retail $220.00   Bought it for $120.00

Parts from Fat Baggers were around $600 for both.   Is that right Grover :nixweiss:

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 01:12:18 PM »

Grover wanted me to post this so his pain would be lifted a little ::)

Part # for fender adapter for a 21" front wheel is
Drag# 1410-0021    Dealer cost $54.90    Sugg retail $79.95

You need to use a 5.5" fender for a 21" wheel

The one I used is a Milwalkee Iron Cow Catcher
Sugg retail $220.00   Bought it for $120.00

Parts from Fat Baggers were around $600 for both.   Is that right Grover :nixweiss:

That's right Brian. I was given a discount and paid about $520.00! Still got taken for a ride >:(

So if anybody's looking to upgrade their front end w/21'' wheel and fender....go the route that Brian did. Same items but for much, much less. I'm sure Milwaukee Iron supplies Fatbaggers with the fender.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »

Any one know anything about John St Claire or how to get in contact with him? Post says he is close to Orlando which is close to me and I never heard of him. But from looks of the fender I need to talk to him.
Thanks
Don

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 10:31:33 PM »

Any one know anything about John St Claire or how to get in contact with him? Post says he is close to Orlando which is close to me and I never heard of him. But from looks of the fender I need to talk to him.
Thanks
Don

Don, PM me.

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 03:18:45 AM »

Installed a single 13" front disc from Performance Machine and their 6 piston caliper.

Help me out here guys.. I am working on a brake up grade,,, Thought about a single disc for the flashy look but am concerned about performance. Right now my twin disc is not keeping up, lots of brake fade. Hoist rides hard as I do. If you went with a larger diameter rotor would it compensate for the loss of the other disc? Keep in mind I am 250 and ride with my FLHTCUI loaded.

I understand that a larger rotor is like having a longer prybar, more leverage. But how does it equate from 2 short to 1 long?

Thanks....

BTW my name is Steven

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 03:26:10 AM »

Help me out here guys.. I am working on a brake up grade,,, Thought about a single disc for the flashy look but am concerned about performance. Right now my twin disc is not keeping up, lots of brake fade. Hoist rides hard as I do. If you went with a larger diameter rotor would it compensate for the loss of the other disc? Keep in mind I am 250 and ride with my FLHTCUI loaded.

I understand that a larger rotor is like having a longer prybar, more leverage. But how does it equate from 2 short to 1 long?

Thanks....

BTW my name is Steven

Steven, I know Brian (Hogasm) and a few others here have gone the single caliper route.  And it breaks my heart.  I've met a lot of them.  Don't want less brakes for any of them.

Can still remember adding juice brakes to bikes that didn't have it.  Adding front brakes to bikes that only had rear.  Going from drums to disc.  Looking for more.

I don't care how good are the single sided brakes that might be installed.  They can't be as good as one more braking subsystem.  That difference might never be needed.  But sometime a few feet might make all the difference.  Can't imagine how well and truly pissed I'd be if a friend's epitaph was "man that single rotor looked good."

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 03:28:15 AM »

Good point! Well taken!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 03:30:47 AM »

Hey Steven, From what you said about riding hard with lots of weight and experiencing brake fade that imho  you should upgrade the brake fluid from dot 4 to a dot 7maybe. not dot 5 as thats silicon and wont work. the fluid reaches its boiling point and when doing so the boiling produces air bubbles and when you squeeze the brake the bubbles can compress thus the "FADE" feeling. some of the Ate German brake fluids for Benzes  and Bimmers have higher boiling points and might just be your answer first. After the fade is cured with two then you might want to try the larger single disc and 6 piston and you can do the same experiment and if  it fades well then you have a solution waiting.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
PS   I am with TwoLane tho...    looks could kill sometimes.........
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:33:02 AM by ESJ JESTER »
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 03:59:20 AM »

Hey Steven, From what you said about riding hard with lots of weight and experiencing brake fade that imho  you should upgrade the brake fluid from dot 4 to a dot 7maybe. not dot 5 as thats silicon and wont work. the fluid reaches its boiling point and when doing so the boiling produces air bubbles and when you squeeze the brake the bubbles can compress thus the "FADE" feeling. some of the Ate German brake fluids for Benzes  and Bimmers have higher boiling points and might just be your answer first. After the fade is cured with two then you might want to try the larger single disc and 6 piston and you can do the same experiment and if  it fades well then you have a solution waiting.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Point well taken, looking at all options before I pull the trigger. Believe me, I will  :beatdeadhorse: before I make a decision  ;)

Thank you ESJ  :2vrolijk_21:

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 04:08:19 AM »

I googled DOT 7 and did not find any info????
Can you Tell me where to find it, Thanks   :)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 04:26:02 AM »

Try racing brake fluid. what you want is the highest boiling point  they are over 500deg.  there are many suppliers.  The dot 7 was specifically mercedes  you want to compare different brands  like ferrodo ......ate.....pentosin......just something higher.
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 04:27:15 AM »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »

S...can't say this for certain, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that it's not a brake fluid issue, but that you are running stock brake pads and calipers.  The pads that come on our bikes are some of the cheapest, low bid products HD can find.  Add to that the calipers, and when the pads get heated up, along with your standard calipers and rotors, your brakes suddenly become even less effective.

If you want to see more wheel on front, go to an 18"...Metz makes a 140/70x18 front that is rated very close to stock load ratings....within 40lbs.  Overall diameter of wheel/tire is within 1/2" of your stock tire/wheel.  That, and more open, floating rotors will let you see more wheel.

JMO
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »

Thanks....

BTW my name is Steven

No way would I give up dual front brakes for a single larger rotor set-up! I'm researching which calipers to use, but I'm retaining the 11.5" rotors. I like the SERK rotors and believe the calipers/pads make the biggest difference. I have HD brakes on my other bikes and have had numerous rear wheel lock-ups, fading brakes, etc. I have PM's on my Pro Street, PM diff bore 4 piston front & 4 piston PM on rear. Night and day. My '85 4-speed has single HD brakes. I have to be much more careful on that bike! I like the 4-pad Brembo idea, but only if they make itfor 11.5 in rotors. Brakes are very important to my riding style. Every aspect of performance is essential to my riding style and looks always take a back seat!!! I have OPD not OCD! ;) Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 24 queries.