Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Swingarm questions  (Read 6802 times)

hogasm

Swingarm questions
« on: March 17, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »

While in Daytona I saw another version of a True Track or Ride Str8.

www.alloyart.com

This unit has 3 different adjustment points.

Looking for opinions on these or any other units

Also while talking to these guys at alloyart.com i reitterated the importance of making sure that the bike is alligned before any device is bolted to any bike. Seems to me that if you bolt any of these units to a bike that is not alligned then you have not done anything but strengthened the misalignment.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Swingarm questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:11:36 PM »

www.alloyart.com

Also while talking to these guys at alloyart.com i reitterated the importance of making sure that the bike is alligned before any device is bolted to any bike. Seems to me that if you bolt any of these units to a bike that is not alligned then you have not done anything but strengthened the misalignment.

Holy crap! Did you see those Bilstein Air Shocks! Those things looks awesome. They're pretty pricey though. Bummer. This is getting out of control. Stop putting all this cool chit up here guys! Not!!! ;) Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:25:13 PM »

That suspension stabilizer is an impressive looking part Brian.  The guys using the Rivco center stand wouldn't be able to use both it and their center stand.  But it's an impressive looking piece nonetheless.

So..... did you get one?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »

Holy crap! Did you see those Bilstein Air Shocks! Those things looks awesome. They're pretty pricey though. Bummer. This is getting out of control. Stop putting all this cool chit up here guys! Not!!! ;) Hoist!

Expensive....  Yeap.  But they aren't but a little bit more than the Legends package is.  It's all relative.  So, if; relatively speaking, some of the guys could get the Legends and it was ok then, relatively speaking, these are only a little bit more.  A little bit is cheap.  So, relatively speaking, these shocks are cheap.   (it's all in the math)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »

And here I am debating buying another tru-track for LD. The stuff in the link on this thread must cost as much as a Sportster.

B B

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 08:25:39 PM »

http://store.fatbaggers.com/tractionmaster.html  another version i just came upon. Also some other bagger products discounted......

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »

That's some nice looking stuff!!  The shocks, by the time you buy the Legends and the chrome handlebar switch, are only $150 more than the Legends.  Definitely something to consider for those who need the ride adjustability, but don't need the lowering ability provided by the Legends.  I'm really happy with the Legends because I NEED to get the bike lower at certain times, but these look like good ones.

Don, you gonna be the guinea pig on those? :2vrolijk_21: ;D

Their brace for the swingarm looks like a winner as well...and it's polished!!!  More stealth shiney pieces to get down on your knees and look at... ;) 8)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hogasm

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »

One thing I liked was the way they incorporated air deflection toward the trans pan. Seems that the other units don't have this and it is possible that there is no way for air to get to the pan and cool the oil.

The shocks are on the to do list but I  need to get rid of Bessie's rear end shimmy first. It is real bad!!!!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »

One thing I liked was the way they incorporated air deflection toward the trans pan. Seems that the other units don't have this and it is possible that there is no way for air to get to the pan and cool the oil.

The shocks are on the to do list but I  need to get rid of Bessie's rear end shimmy first. It is real bad!!!!!!

Hey Brian, do you know anything about these guys? They got great looking stuff. Pricey too! Are these guys the real deal. Do they make this stuff or distribute it? For 1800 bucks, I wanna know those shocks are the absolute best! Thanks. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:42 PM »

Hey Brian, do you know anything about these guys? They got great looking stuff. Pricey too! Are these guys the real deal. Do they make this stuff or distribute it? For 1800 bucks, I wanna know those shocks are the absolute best! Thanks. Hoist! 8)

Howie, I met these guys through David Munos at Performance Machine. I am not sure if it was Jamer or Robbie or both that were engineers at  PM. They left  PM and formed their own company. All the parts I looked at looked first class.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 09:33:47 AM »

Howie, I met these guys through David Munos at Performance Machine. I am not sure if it was Jamer or Robbie or both that were engineers at  PM. They left  PM and formed their own company. All the parts I looked at looked first class.

Howie,

You're done buddy. Just send the check and the pain will be gone.

It's all good.

Chief

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 10:30:16 AM »

www.alloyart.com

Brian, welcome back!

I think you hit the nail on the head, bike needs to be aligned regardless.  I have never experienced high speed wobble on my bike or any other kind of wobble for that matter and I ride fast.  Any handling issues I have had were related to aerodynamics (i.e. fairing lowers, crosswinds, etc.), nothing that could be fixed by adding one of these devices.  But, here is my opinion on this particular device:  looks like a Klingon bird of prey flying under your bike!  Looks too complicated and I don't like the mount to the trans pan, that connection needs to be rigid and this design looks like a simple plate using long bolts and spacers which in my mind is subject to flexing.  In my opinion, someone needs to design one that is the trans cover, not bolts over, so air can cool the trans fluid.

There have been a number of site members who have installed these devices and say they work, others don't really know if they do or not but feel better they have them, I don't know one way or another.  I just know I don't have a problem, so I'll save my $$$ for more chrome!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

I don't like the mount to the trans pan, that connection needs to be rigid and this design looks like a simple plate using long bolts and spacers which in my mind is subject to flexing. 

Pete, it is a nice looking part.  So far as appearances go.  My first impression also, however, was a concern about the long bolts and spacers being the only mount.  I honestly don't have a clue how much force might be exercised against these things.  But I'd not want just the bolts (especially such long bolts) hanging their on there own.  It's too easy to see the whole thing flexing one direction or another; if not actually working bolts in their threads and tearing up a tranny.

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »

Pete, it is a nice looking part.  So far as appearances go.  My first impression also, however, was a concern about the long bolts and spacers being the only mount.  I honestly don't have a clue how much force might be exercised against these things.  But I'd not want just the bolts (especially such long bolts) hanging their on there own.  It's too easy to see the whole thing flexing one direction or another; if not actually working bolts in their threads and tearing up a tranny.

Don I don't like the way it mounts to the trans either. But it is the only one that addresses the need for air to be deflected toward the trans. I am going to call them Monday to see if they have any figures on how much force is put on the trans.
Also want to see if they can build a more rigid mount to the trans like all the other makes have.

hogasm

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »

Brian, welcome back!

I think you hit the nail on the head, bike needs to be aligned regardless.  I have never experienced high speed wobble on my bike or any other kind of wobble for that matter and I ride fast.  Any handling issues I have had were related to aerodynamics (i.e. fairing lowers, crosswinds, etc.), nothing that could be fixed by adding one of these devices.  But, here is my opinion on this particular device:  looks like a Klingon bird of prey flying under your bike!  Looks too complicated and I don't like the mount to the trans pan, that connection needs to be rigid and this design looks like a simple plate using long bolts and spacers which in my mind is subject to flexing.  In my opinion, someone needs to design one that is the trans cover, not bolts over, so air can cool the trans fluid.

There have been a number of site members who have installed these devices and say they work, others don't really know if they do or not but feel better they have them, I don't know one way or another.  I just know I don't have a problem, so I'll save my $$$ for more chrome!

Pete just back from Daytona. Leave on Wednesday for Guatemala. Don't know how long I will be there. Fishing is slow now. They are blaming it on el-nino. It will be at least 1 week but could be 4.

After I put on the new wheels on Bessie, she became uncontrolable at high speeds. Just ask Hubbard or Harry. Makes you feel like your azz is swaying from side to side even at 75 mph. At 125 as I was catchin , well never mind, anyway at 125 it took up all of Interstate 4. This was like being on a great thrill ride at Disney!

Going to check allignment, wheel centers, and wheel ballance before i go to the next stage which will be one of these units.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »

After I put on the new wheels on Bessie, she became uncontrolable at high speeds. Just ask Hubbard or Harry. Makes you feel like your azz is swaying from side to side even at 75 mph. At 125 as I was catchin , well never mind, anyway at 125 it took up all of Interstate 4. This was like being on a great thrill ride at Disney!

Good luck fishing!  Funny you should mention this because at Bayside yesterday they had a street glide with a 21 front wheel and fat bagger rear tire kit installed with the owner complaining of the same problem.  Just from eyeballing the install from the back of the bike looking forward, it appears the alignment is off (trans shifted to the left of center).  Hope there is an easy fix to your problem.  Should have my bike back in few weeks, heads and cylinders at Diamond Heads being cut as we speak.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

hogasm

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »

Should have my bike back in few weeks, heads and cylinders at Diamond Heads being cut as we speak.

Good deal your getting closer :2vrolijk_21:

I think my problem is that the rear wheel spacing is incorrect from the manufacture. Wont know till I get the bike back from Florida.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »

I do not completely share the enthusiasm that some have for products like the Ride-Str8. I don’t have an argument with the concept of these devices; I run an Eskimo Engineered unit on my bagger, and my Buell is factory equipped. My argument is based on my belief that the rear powertrain mounts are simply not the weakest link in Touring Platform’s Frame and Swingarm package.

For the purpose of this post, the assumption is that all components that influence the handling of the Motorcycle are functioning as designed. An additional assumption is that devices like the Ride-Str8 are intended to improve the handling performance of a properly adjusted and maintained Touring chassis, and not to compensate for worn out or failed components; this really goes without saying. The point of the post is not to make an attempt to “cure” specific or chronic handling issues, but simply to provoke some thought.

A primary function of the Frame and Rear Fork is to keep the front and rear wheels in relative alignment during times when the machine is subjected to torsional stress and other load. It is my sense that under certain circumstances, the torsional limits of the double cradle frame become an issue before the capacity of the rear powertrain mounts have been exceeded.

The VRod platform appears to validate the idea of placing the priority on updating the frame over the rear powertrain mounts. Here is a machine with the capacity to accelerate harder and run much faster; placing greater demands on its chassis. The frame for this machine was designed to handle the increased load potential, yet the rear mount technology remains unchanged.

Having run a stabilizer link on my machine (FrameClearance.jpg), I can say that I do feel some difference, including increased vibration when cornering. I can also say that the stability issues with this machine remain substantially unchanged.

If the root cause of the instability is not addressed with the installation of these devices, then they only return minimal value as reinforcement; assuming they are effectively designed. If their installation masks a maintenance issue, they may appear to return greater value. The manufacturers of these devices make some dramatic performance claims; they have done a great job selling a concept. JMHO

djkak

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »

I do not completely share the enthusiasm that some have for products like the Ride-Str8. I don’t have an argument with the concept of these devices; I run an Eskimo Engineered unit on my bagger, and my Buell is factory equipped. My argument is based on my belief that the rear powertrain mounts are simply not the weakest link in Touring Platform’s Frame and Swingarm package.

For the purpose of this post, the assumption is that all components that influence the handling of the Motorcycle are functioning as designed. An additional assumption is that devices like the Ride-Str8 are intended to improve the handling performance of a properly adjusted and maintained Touring chassis, and not to compensate for worn out or failed components; this really goes without saying. The point of the post is not to make an attempt to “cure” specific or chronic handling issues, but simply to provoke some thought.

A primary function of the Frame and Rear Fork is to keep the front and rear wheels in relative alignment during times when the machine is subjected to torsional stress and other load. It is my sense that under certain circumstances, the torsional limits of the double cradle frame become an issue before the capacity of the rear powertrain mounts have been exceeded.

The VRod platform appears to validate the idea of placing the priority on updating the frame over the rear powertrain mounts. Here is a machine with the capacity to accelerate harder and run much faster; placing greater demands on its chassis. The frame for this machine was designed to handle the increased load potential, yet the rear mount technology remains unchanged.

Having run a stabilizer link on my machine (FrameClearance.jpg), I can say that I do feel some difference, including increased vibration when cornering. I can also say that the stability issues with this machine remain substantially unchanged.

If the root cause of the instability is not addressed with the installation of these devices, then they only return minimal value as reinforcement; assuming they are effectively designed. If their installation masks a maintenance issue, they may appear to return greater value. The manufacturers of these devices make some dramatic performance claims; they have done a great job selling a concept. JMHO

djkak

I agree that if the cause of the problem is not addressed and one of these units are installed then you have done nothing but make a bad situation worse.

jclark3603

• 07 Black Ice Road King
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »

If any one (as Hogasm stated )does call trutrack let me know if you get through to them and talk to any one. Calling the published number always gets me a VM that is full and can not except messages. I ordered a True Track for my SERX 6 weeks ago and the charges went through on my credit card but the unit has yet to arrive at my home. TIA
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.