Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: M8 leaking piston jets  (Read 11740 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: M8 leaking piston jets
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »

I just have to ask.... Could the people on the line making the Harleys just not care because of the economic issues affecting the motor company. pressure to produce faster than they want too. I believe that an unhappy employee can cause so many issues, production and moral come to mind. I visited the assembly plant in York, Pa. not blaming them just that they are a factory like so many others. You piss me off, i piss you off. So can it be unhappy employees or just not knowledgeable workers.

The drilling and tapping of those holes is automated.  A machine setup person could do a half-azzed job setting up the equipment I suppose, or the process engineer who designed and set up the machining operation could have made a mistake or left out a step, or the tooling used to secure the bolts may be over-tightening the bolts and pulling the threads, or  :nixweiss:.  I'm familiar with the kind of attitude issues you mentioned in assembly plants, since I worked in a few automotive assembly plants over the years.  This doesn't look like sabotage to me, just another screw-up by the MoCo.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »

Was made aware of it back in 17.. Funny these automated install, the screw is self tapping . Run the screw in further back it out a few times and remove the silly plastic off the gasket and its tight now.  That bike had a 114 drop on kit installed over a year ago. We just bumped it to a 120 . So I got to go back in. Gasket dry no oil leaking around it . Bike was not sumping then still not . On the dyno soon  . Parts out for gnarly cut .
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Jstitan2017

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2017 Ultra Limited
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »

Is it worth tearing down if you're not going to increase the size of your engine for peace of mind to check these piston jet oilers? I have a 2017 CVO Limited with 6700 miles on it. Runs pretty good and haven't had any issues yet? Or should I just install the S&S cam plate and oil pump to mask the issue if it ever arises?

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »

If it was mine I would.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »

I have decided to do the SS oil pump and cam plate on my 19 CVO Rg!! Pretty sad I don’t have faith in the stock parts on a 45G bike!!!!

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »

Me too, but I'm waiting for the warranty to expire next April.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2019, 05:52:33 PM »

Is it worth tearing down if you're not going to increase the size of your engine for peace of mind to check these piston jet oilers? I have a 2017 CVO Limited with 6700 miles on it. Runs pretty good and haven't had any issues yet? Or should I just install the S&S cam plate and oil pump to mask the issue if it ever arises?
The S&S set-up is around $800 and you didn't say if you were gonna do the work yourself to check the piston oilers.  You have to pull the jugs to get that done not sure how much that would cost.  I was planning on checking mine when I get ready to do 124 kit.  I do my own work & figure what I save in labor will pay for most of the parts / upgrades.  The new HD Pump supposedly has an increase of around 30% scavenging ability which is around where the S&S is.  If your not gonna do this soon, wait / watch to see I any 20's are sumping.  (If HD ever sells any). The HD pump would be around $80 not $800.  I know you said you were not interested in going bigger but when the motor is torn down that far you could do a piston kit for between $400-$1000 depending weather you ordered new jugs or have them bored , its not gonna change your reassembly time much if at all.   As for myself when my piston kit gets here gonna check those oilers, install the new jugs and if I don't hear any issues with the new pump order / install the new one with the backing plate and call it a day.  Good luck with your choices
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:45:37 AM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2019, 09:18:24 AM »

I can share that the S&S pump and plate does not always fix the sumping issue, S&S will actually tell you it is not a solution for sumping.
I had to remove it and install the HD pump w seal to stop my sumping issue, even after fixing the piston jet oilers that were loose as well as replacing scored junk Stage lll 117 jugs and psitons.   Fueling makes the claim it will help w sumping.
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2019, 09:47:45 AM »

I can share that the S&S pump and plate does not always fix the sumping issue, S&S will actually tell you it is not a solution for sumping.
I had to remove it and install the HD pump w seal to stop my sumping issue, even after fixing the piston jet oilers that were loose as well as replacing scored junk Stage lll 117 jugs and psitons.   Fueling makes the claim it will help w sumping.

This is unfortunate news. I was hoping the S&S pump was the silver bullet.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »

ME TOO!!!! Can’t believe I just paid over 45G cash for this bike in July and I’m already trying to fix issues!!!!Just INSANE!!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »

ME TOO!!!! Can’t believe I just paid over 45G cash for this bike in July and I’m already trying to fix issues!!!!Just INSANE!!

Dealers will tell you that Harley has not sent a notice out about that issue, but, don’t worry, you have a full warranty and when it locks up they will “take care of you “
 :drink:
HOGMIKE

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »

For me at least, when someone or some company says "they will take care of me", my sphincter muscles start to REALLY tense up.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Jstitan2017

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2017 Ultra Limited
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »

I do plan on doing the work myself, probably just before spring. Going bigger will add a bit more cash to the table as it is. I was planning on doing a Woods WM8-22x cam, Woods directional lifters, Fuelmoto pushrods, S&S cam plate and oil pump, Fuelmoto Jackpot XXX head pipe with Jackpot high roller mufflers and a ThunderMax ECM to run the whole kit and caboodle. I considered the Powervision for a moment but I really don't want anything on my handlebars. I live in Colorado at 6800 feet and on any daily ride I can change altitude all the way to 14000 feet pretty quickly and as it is right now with my bike totally stock, it runs fine at 6800 feet but when I get up higher it pings really bad. I've always had good luck with the ThunderMax as it self tunes and I've never pinged with one of those. I do have the ESP warranty still in effect and I can do the work to put it all back it something happens to the engine.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2019, 05:57:27 AM »

I do plan on doing the work myself, probably just before spring. Going bigger will add a bit more cash to the table as it is. I was planning on doing a Woods WM8-22x cam, Woods directional lifters, Fuelmoto pushrods, S&S cam plate and oil pump, Fuelmoto Jackpot XXX head pipe with Jackpot high roller mufflers and a ThunderMax ECM to run the whole kit and caboodle. I considered the Powervision for a moment but I really don't want anything on my handlebars. I live in Colorado at 6800 feet and on any daily ride I can change altitude all the way to 14000 feet pretty quickly and as it is right now with my bike totally stock, it runs fine at 6800 feet but when I get up higher it pings really bad. I've always had good luck with the ThunderMax as it self tunes and I've never pinged with one of those. I do have the ESP warranty still in effect and I can do the work to put it all back it something happens to the engine.
the power vision does not have to stay anywhere on the bike plug in remap unplug and forget about it that's what I did

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »

Me too!!! I Mapped my ECU using the power vision, now it sits on my desk... WORKS awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 24 queries.