Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: looks like the motor company finally went Lithium  (Read 3860 times)

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: looks like the motor company finally went Lithium
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »

I'm curious who the manufacturer is for these lithium's. We all know East Penn has made the AGM's for HD for a long time.

I wonder if the same is true for the new variety. That being said maybe they can be bought under the manufacturer's branding. It might net a cost savings to make it worth it.

Pretty sure that's what a lot of us do when we buy the Deka to save ourselves from "dealer rape"

Same might work here

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »

I have been using the Antigravity battery for years on my 12 RG with the 124 and I love it. Makes the bike crank so fast its like a Honda when I start it. Also has a built in "jump starter" if battery ever dies that you just push the button on the battery to get to it and they will be coming out with a remote fob soon so you won't even have to get to the battery to access it. Last at least twice as long as stock battery which helps me swallow to big price tag. When you go to Antigravity's Facebook they occasionally run 20% coupons which also helps. One of the best mods I have done on that bike IMO

Which battery are you using?

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/atx30-rs/

or

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/oem-size/atx20/

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »

Note that the Antigravity folks also list a misleading cranking amps figure in their specs.  They list CA, which is measured at 32°F, instead of the industry standard CCA which is measured at 0°F.  Very big difference.  And Harley doesn't even use the old outdated CA standard, they just threw out figures without a standard.  If these people want to sell their products to the vehicle markets, they really should follow the industry standards when specifying performance to standards.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 12:02:40 PM »

Honestly, if I had an extra chunk of money burning a whole in my pocket for a new wiz bang battery I would go with Antigravity. At least they are a known commodotity have a track record of sortd. At the point HD is playing catch up, Lol, just like they are everything else in the motorcycle industry

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »

Lead acid batteries can be trickle charged 700ma ( multi hits), lithium  batteries need a min of 2amp steady charge if you want to maintain charge it they don't like multi hit low voltage.  Your charging systems charges at a higher steady rate.  I run lithium in my ducati's, it's the cheapest way to lose weight ( Carbon fiber & titanium is pricey). My local cycle shop stopped carrying Litthium cause he said he heard of a few catching fire.  When we where talking about the cause he said that he was told that it had to do to bad charging systems...it seems they also don't like being overcharged- plus 14.5volts. So if your voltage regulator is acting up you could have an issue.  I use a Lithium charger for the Duc's & a standard trickle for the Harley's and no fires yet.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »

Don't they use lithium to treat depression?  Maybe HD quietly crying out for help. 
 :oops: :nixweiss:
Good one.

They use it to treat manic depression (now known as bipolar disorder).  Still works for HD.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
NEW Lithium Life Battery from Harley
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »

Just received an email from Harley showing off their new Lithium battery to the tune of $299.00.  Very lightweight, and more cranking power.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/lithium-life-8ah-battery?source_cd=Email_0129_Electrical_Batteries&camp_id=16&CL_ID=365441015&ext_tracking=8ebe651c47aa07b144711a6f5086aecd179b6f9cdb775c3b86f5f7c005cd3f58

Looking to replace mine this spring.  Anyone know anything about these?  Are they worth it?
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: NEW Lithium Life Battery from Harley
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »

Only you can determine if it's "worth it" to you.  They claim twice the battery life when compared to stock lead-acid batteries, but at almost three times the price of the non-Harley branded AGM batteries like Deka, Big Crank, etc. it would appear buying one just for that claimed twice the life isn't worth it.  As for the rest of the equation, there are pluses and minuses on both sides.  The one claim I wouldn't fall for is the lower weight.  Saving ten or  twenty pounds on a 900 pound Harley is about like removing one flea from a St. Bernard.  Lower weight is an advantage on small lightweight racing bikes, not so much on half ton cruisers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »

Yep -  This has been educational and I'll stay with an AGM.  Still LMAO about flea and St. Bernard.  Thanks Jerry, I needed that  :P
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »

I can't find any real specs on HD's foray into the new battery tech.

I haven't seen any batteries yet that are only LiFE - Lithium Iron LiFE as HF advertises them.
Most of the newest tech is LiFEPO4 = Lithium iron phosphate

I'm running LiFEPO4 12 volt batteries in my camper.
They are light weight for a full size battery at 29 pounds, are rated at 100AH and that is at 90-100% use.
Charge cycles are rated between 3000-5000.
Self discharge is negligible and they have a built in BMS - battery monitoring system.

And they are not listed as being suitable for a starting battery.

BMS stands for battery management system, this is the brain of our deep cycle lithium battery. The BMS protects the lithium cells from getting damaged in several scenarios. From low or high voltage, low or high temperatures, or if there is a short in the system. The BMS will shut off the battery to protect the li-ion cells and the user of the battery from unsafe operating conditions.

The BMS also regulates the amount of power you can take out of the battery. The BMS on our 100 amp-hour battery is rated to 100 amps continuous, 200 amps for 30 seconds and any higher loads for ½ second.

Our BMS also keeps all of the cells in balance. At the top of each charge cycle, the BMS reduces the charging rate in cells that have been topped off first, letting the rest of the cells catch up. This ensures that the cells are always in balance, and maintains the quality and efficiency of the pack.

New technology comes at a price, but I am expecting 10-15 years use out of my batteries in heavy use.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:22:26 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

KEB

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2008 Ultra
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 05:13:14 AM »

Now sure if this is the right place for it our not, but found this yesterday. I wonder how these are going to turn out?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/lithium-life-6ah-battery

"Touring and Softail® LiFe batteries come with a caddy that ensures perfect fitment into the battery compartment - foam blocks are not required"

Yet not one ultra listed in the fitment section..... So it really isn't useful for real touring bikes....

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »

"Touring and Softail® LiFe batteries come with a caddy that ensures perfect fitment into the battery compartment - foam blocks are not required"

Yet not one ultra listed in the fitment section..... So it really isn't useful for real touring bikes....

Try this link - it should be to the touring version.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/lithium-life-8ah-battery
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 26 queries.