Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Harley Battery Charging  (Read 6705 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Re: New Harley Battery Charging
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »

Well the only accessory I'm using on BLUU is a I-Pod that I'm running through the radio.I suspect the charging harness is my culpret but we will see once I dig into it.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »

DesertBear54, I have 4 battery tenders. They all go thu a cycle as described by grc. I called the company last year to verify this because when I would ride my 95 Heritage the tender would stay red, blink green, for a lot longer before it got to solid green compared to my 09SEUC, and Honda 450CRFX. Sometimes if I unplug or accidently shut the one off on the Heritage it goes right back to green, or it may go red, blink green and then go back to solid green. I have mine sitting on concrete so I am not worried about over heating, but it still does bug me that they take different time periods to go to solid green. I think it has something to do with the batteries on an individual basis as to how easy they accept a charge since I have swapped tenders around to check this out. I also have one  on one of my cars that usually sits for a week or two at a time. That takes 7 or 8 hours to stop blinking green and get to solid green. If you plug in at night and get up in the morning and tender is solid green I wouldn't worry about it. It is just another thing that takes away from enjoying your bike.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »

Cahdbiker, Thanks for the reassurance!! At the end of June I plan on going up to my cabin in Northern New Mexico and I just want to make sure this new battery I just got is legitimate and charging correctly. As you said when I get up in the morning it is solid green. I was just use to my old battery going solid green within 30 mins before it crapped out.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »

DESERTBEAR54, I check my battery voltage regularly with a multimeter. At idle or slightly above Heritage and SEUC are at about 13.8-14.3 volts. After being on battery charger for a day or two they are always slightly above 13Volts (no motor running or ignition on). It is easy to check using the lead from the batteryto the tender connection. If you are still concerned take your Battery Tender on your trip and when you get to your cabin plug your bike in providing you have electricity, or take your multimeter and check battery at Battery Tender leads after a day of riding. My wife and I are now in the annual process of discussing(code word for arguing ) about where we want to ride. She is thinking Arkansas since her sister and nieces live there. She will probably get her way since she is a good back seat rider and really has developed a knack for packing, and this would be a completely new route for us. Have a fun vacation. CAHDBIKER

Cahdbiker, Thanks for the reassurance!! At the end of June I plan on going up to my cabin in Northern New Mexico and I just want to make sure this new battery I just got is legitimate and charging correctly. As you said when I get up in the morning it is solid green. I was just use to my old battery going solid green within 30 mins before it crapped out.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

2012HOG

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

I have a 2012 UC CVO with only 1,000 miles. Went to the garage to add more miles and it was dead as the bug on my windshield. Hooked up to tender and after a few hours started right up. Went on a ride and stopped for gas, dead again! Got home, put on tender and left over night. Checked system from starter with ignition off and was getting 12.36 volts. turned ignition on and dropped to 10volts and of course wouldn't start. Jumped it and tested volts at 14.26. Local store is coming out to pick it up and informed me that they have hadlots of problems with the 12's in the last 3-4 months and have ordered plenty of parts. Stated it could be the stator, regulator, or a few other things but assured me they would get it fixed. I just hope they give me a new battery as well as it drained a few times and I am sure that is not good for its long term health, especially since I added a few hundred Custom Dynamics LED's while at Thunder Beach!!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

They have had a slew of Regulators that are bad from the vendor.

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »

Had good luck with my 2011.5 (so far).   No bad paint on engine or tins, electrical probs, "death wobble", wheel balancers flying off in the fender, etc.

Gotta be the nekkid chrome girl I got wrapped around my clutch cable bringin' me good fortune.  Should be standard equipment.

Sledge
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

I need one of them Chrome Nekkid Girls!! :2vrolijk_21:

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 12:20:44 AM »

I do not think it is possible for any charging system on anything will have a battery charged completely when it is parked. Too may variables.
maybe I'm wrong but that is how I see it

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »

Sledge,
            Thanks for the link!! BLUU could use a Chrome Front View NEKKID Girl!! 8)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.