Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultra....or SG.....or RG?  (Read 1604 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Ultra....or SG.....or RG?
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »

I have been down to Steve Drane Harley in Victoria a couple times this last week making drool puddles on the floor by the O/W/B Ultra on the floor.
The same thoughts are running through my head as did when I bought my '08 (non CVO) Ultra.

1. Easier/cheaper to make an Ultra into an SG.....or an SG into an Ultra? I think I've read that it's a lot of work to make the CVO Ultra TP  removeable.

2. How good is the Ultra stereo...say, compared to hog tunes amp w/ speakers? Of course the SG will be better than the ultra ....and the Ultra better than the RG.

3. Debating whether to chance there not being a 2012 left when the 2013 models come out.......

Batwing or Sharknose........not a major factor for me, I've ridden both, and both have their merits.

Any input / insight / suggestions / questions / knowledge......I'll take it all!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Ultra....or SG.....or RG?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »

SG,   im glad i did it :2vrolijk_21:

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13:35 AM »

BUY THE ONE THAT STIRS YOUR LOINS AND YOUR SOUL WHEN YOU SEE IT!!   :o   :sweetheart:  Seriously.

I bought a SG and now will be getting a TourPak.  Also ended up getting a taller windshield, a more comfortable seat, heated grips, different bars, and am going to replace the sound system.  BTW, the sound system sucks on both bikes.  Don't get your hopes up.  The stereo is easier to modify on the Ultras, FWIW.

You may end up doing some of the same things if you get an Ultra, though.  I've heard about $1000 to make the TourPak quick release at a HD stealership.  That probably equates to $400 to $500 at an independent shop.

I wasn't moved by the 2012 Ultras, and I loved my SG, so I wouldn't do things any differently.  If you don't get get firsttimeihadsex butterflies when you see your bike-to-be, wait and see what the 2013s look like.  Maybe they'll have decent sound systems by then.   :nixweiss:

catsnhogs

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »

I agree with lilcoot and and suggest that you get the bike that stirs your soul.   I like all of the touring bikes in the CVO lineup.  I just made my decision today and it has been a hair puller.  I have owned RK's and Ultras and have friends with SG's and RG's and they all swear by them.  Do your research, make your choice, negotiate your best deal, and dont look back!!

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:49:14 AM »

I had a 07 Ultra and traded for a 2012 SG. Added the tourpak and it is quick change. takes about 3 minutes to go from tourpak to backrest and luggage rack or the other way around.
The sound is good for me. 8 speakers. I can hear it up to 80 clearly. I am deaf in one ear so I know someone with good hearing shouldn't have much of a problem.
I have tried several different types of speakers and amps with my 07 Ultra. Hog tunes and several others.
it all comes down to you. How you are going to ride, the look you want, what really catches YOUR eye. It is about you not any of us.
I loved my Ultra, put 60,000 miles on it in less than 5 years, it ran as good as new when I traded.
I love my new SG. different mind you but in a good way.
I went after a CVO Ultra but when I seen the CVO SG I had to have it.

It is hard I know but you can have fun doing it.
be safe

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »

Test ride them all and decide which one fits you, and which color combo you like best.

I originally was after the CVO ultra, but ended up with a CVO SG and added tourpack, along with a bunch of other things.

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »

I went with the Ultra and just installed tp disconnect hardware, Arlen Ness slam kit, along with a SG seat, and relocated the license plate.   I can quickly put back on the dresser stuff anytime.  Not too much money to make it a dual purpose bike.

I thought about trading the Ultra for a SG but since I finished the work above I'm glad I didn't.  Nice to have all that I can put back on for long trips or take off for local.  Summer?  All off with SG seat.  Winter? All on full dress heated seat, etc.

For music I always use earbuds and a direct connect to the console jack, all the extra speakers in the SG are overkill and a waste of space imo.  You get 4 with the Ultra and that's enough for me.

Oh, the tail light setup on the SG is awesome for sure but I'm kind of partial to the more traditional look.

Road Glides always feel strange to me when I test ride one.  I've always had Electraglides with the batwing.  Can't get used to the difference.  I am sure you'll love either one though.  Good luck in your search.

Sledge
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:23:05 PM by Sledge »
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

SEsupply2

• Senior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »

CVO RG.........wouldn't go back to a batwing JMO
2018 FLTRXSE
Fullsac MX pipe and S&S MK45's
Corbin dual touring seat
SOUNDZ Amp, Iron 65 & Iron 57 speakers
HD king tourpak w/chopped backrest
Metalsport luggage rack
JH Choppers floorboards
Freedom windshield 13"
Ciro3d cupholders
Ohlins 159 shocks
Avon grips/pegs

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »

Had a 2007 RG, got a 2010 CUSE, now ride a 2011 SERGU.  I will never go back to the batwing fairing.  I love the look, but I like the ride and handling of a Road Glide....but to each his own, you asked :2vrolijk_21:
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »

Just traded my 2011 SERGU for the 2012 CVO RG and what a difference. I'd considered removing the tour pack and going with extended bags but there was considerable expense involved. Not to mention dealing with the 2 miles of wiring and amp relocation into the fairing. And since I wanted more of a cruiser with a bit less weight, this made more sense to me. The skunk feels much more powerful (lighter weight and possibly more tq in the published specs?) and is more fun to ride, and I'd never used the tour pack for trips - but this can be added later if needed. So as was mentioned above, go with what moves you but you'll probably be happy whichever you choose. They are all great bikes.

The only mods I've done are exhaust, tuner and Kuryakyn Scythe mirrors, and have a Corbin custom seat with backrest and detachable passenger pillion on order. I miss the gps on the ultra and may add it later, but for now I'm having a blast riding it. My wife, who was a passenger on my ultra, starts her Rider's Edge course this week and we've got our eye on an 883 SuperLow for her once she finishes on Sunday with her license. It will be fun having another Harley in the family!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing!
2020 CVO Limited

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »

ROAD GLIDE  8)

I much prefer the ride and handling of a road glide, especially around 18 wheelers, in the curves, in high wind.

Funny thing is I swore I would never own one.  Then I road one.  I'm on my second CVO Road glide now.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Beary

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »

What I like about the CVO Ultra is that it can easily be changed to look like SG simply by changing the seat, windshield and removing the tourpack. A non-CVO Ultra cannot be dressed down the same way to look like a SG because the SG has clean metal on the finders and the slim lines of the sport rear fender lights. The chrome on the fenders and rear lights on the Ultra are an obvious giveaway even looking at it from a distance. Not so with the CVO Ultra. The CVO Ultra has the same clean metal on the fenders and slim sporty taillights as the SG. Most folks would have a hard time decerning between a dressed down CVO Ultra and SG. They would have to really look close to things like the mirrors on the handlebars or tribar light on rear fender to realize the bike is not a SG.

That being said, I think the 2011 and 2012 CVO SG is the best looking bike Harley has ever built.

Beary

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

Mine's purtier.   8)

Sledge
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.