Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A humbling experience...  (Read 2091 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
A humbling experience...
« on: February 27, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »

A humbling experience that I thought I would share...

On Saturday, I attended the memorial services for Army 1st Lt. Garrison C. Avery, age 23, of Lincoln, Neb.   Avery and two others were killed Feb. 1 in Iraq by an improvised explosive device detonated next to the vehicle they were in.

As you may know there is a protest group which is going around the country protesting the funerals/memorial services of fallen soldiers to call attention toward their cause.   Their actions include sign waving of inappropriate material and offensive shouting/language.  Members of the Patriot Guard Riders, of which I am a member, have taken the initiative to do whatever they can to shield the grieving families and friends from what I and many others believe to be inappropriate protest activities.

It is truly a shame that these "people" can exercise their right to protest at our hero's funerals, given that the fallen sacrificed his/her life so that these "people" may enjoy that right to protest in the first place.  

It was a cold and bitter Saturday morning (teens turning into 20's) to be riding a motorcycle, but I and an estimated 150+ other riders didn't mind it a bit in showing our support and respect for the Avery family.  I had the honor of meeting some of Lt. Avery's immediate family prior to the services and attended the services as well.  The Patriot Guard Riders were invited guests to attend the services at the family's request.  There were other riding groups in attendance as well as non-riding participants which brought the total number of those showing up in the "out-door" support to over 200+.  Quite a few folks from Kansas and Iowa made the trip as well.

Lt. Avery was an impressive young man who's life was cut much too short.   His memorial service and the whole event experience is something that I will never forget.

Here are some links of interest:

Patriot Guard - Home:
http://www.patriotguard.org
Patriot Guard - Avery information thread:
http://www.patriotguard.org/Forums/tabid/61/forumid/11/tpage/1/view/Topic/postid/19518/Default.aspx
Pictures:
http://www.hdforums.com/m_297207/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#298495
Lincoln paper review:
http://lincolnjournalstar.com/articles/2006/02/26/top_story/extras/doc4400fb3a14d03778048153.txt
Omaha paper review:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=2124016
Impending Legislation - protesting at funerals - is your state in here?:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=2112996      

I don't know what else I can say about this...I am still reeling from the whole episode and trying to make sense of it all.

[smiley=thinking2.gif]
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: A humbling experience...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 11:13:24 AM »

I too am a member of Patriot Guard and support their crusade to overcome the disrespect shown by some to your young heroes.

Although it is unlikely that I will ever be in a position to ride with them in real life, my spirit rides with them and I wish them well

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:35:08 PM »

I too am a member of Patriot Guard and support their crusade to overcome the disrespect shown by some to your young heroes.

Although it is unlikely that I will ever be in a position to ride with them in real life, my spirit rides with them and I wish them well

Dave

Dave.....Letting you know how much your support from across the pond means to a lot of us here...Semper Fi
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:35:39 PM by BLM777 »

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »

I joined also and will support them and go any time I can. It is a shame that these "people" choose that venue to protest. Bless you and all who help the grieving families. I understand your feelings.

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:46:10 AM »

Hey EZRIDN,

I support you and all of the Patriot riders.  It is a shame that some of those anti-war protesters should disrespect our fallen heroes.  I too, am motivated by your post to try to do my duty to pay protect the final tributes of those who paid the ultimate price for the rest of us in this great country.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yellowsedeuce

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:11:11 PM »

In matters such as these, ignorance is Not Bliss...Share the word of knowledge !!!

Our men and women should never be forgotten, nor ignored for their service to our countries.  Without them, we would not be reviewing and discussing this material today.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 10:07:43 AM »

Being a former Marine I have an understanding of being in the armed forces and I don't understand why people feel it is OK to protest their outrage at the war by disrespecting a fallen heroes memorial service.It isn't bad enough that they lost a loved one but they have to deal with some yahoos yelling offensive material.My heart goes out to the Avery family and with the Patriot Riders God Speed brothers,Later,Q
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:08:40 AM by BigDaddy1569 »
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.