Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ventilator crank case  (Read 6242 times)

jeroenelectrum

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

ventilator crank case
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »

i found this on facebook   https://www.a1cycles.net/machine-shop/ventilator-carnk-case-vent-09-up-tc-and-m8

they have a lot videos on fb   
what you guys think  should it work???

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: ventilator crank case
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »

So, he blocks off a port with a gauge and shows you pressure.  Then he puts another breather into the system.  With the original hole still blocked.  He reads pressure again.  What does this really show us?  what the pressure is in between the umbrella breather valve and gauge when an out let is blocked.

He needs to tap into the cam cover and measure pressure from there.  Without a one way valve. Would also be better if he read pressure at crank cavity as well.  This would be reading pressure in parallel to the breather bolts.

Is this another breather passage that allows crank case pressure out?  Sure is. Just like the unit that was brought to market for the TC engine.  Question is, is it really needed and is it addressing the issue or is it a band aid?

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »

If excess pressure was a problem..........?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 04:04:05 PM »

Before you waste your money on this solution looking for a problem, my first question is what problem are you currently having that you think this might "fix"?  If it's sumping, I can't imagine how an additional crankcase vent would fix the fact that the oil isn't being directed to the oil pickup in the sump and on to the pump.  And btw, some pressure is normal in a crankcase.

If you really want to test this guy's theory, remove your oil cap and cover the opening with some medium to fine mesh screen material to keep debris out, then run the bike under the same conditions that you experience whatever problem it is you want to fix.  If it doesn't fix your problem, his $129 vent won't either.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »

Before you waste your money on this solution looking for a problem, my first question is what problem are you currently having that you think this might "fix"?  If it's sumping, I can't imagine how an additional crankcase vent would fix the fact that the oil isn't being directed to the oil pickup in the sump and on to the pump.  And btw, some pressure is normal in a crankcase.

If you really want to test this guy's theory, remove your oil cap and cover the opening with some medium to fine mesh screen material to keep debris out, then run the bike under the same conditions that you experience whatever problem it is you want to fix.  If it doesn't fix your problem, his $129 vent won't either.

Jerry
Not sure they claim it will cure sumping, more help motor breathe better, well only another way to the same idea as T-man fits to his builds ( not just M8's, video on youtube)
Have seen the musings of the guy on M8 FB if iirc
Fitted S&S pump & plate, now his motor is over oiling the top end out thro head breathers
not sure if head gasket fail was involved, on a stock 107,

Note that S&S 124/128 kits come with redundant oil way plug kit
Note that Cometic revised it's M8 head gasket to cover/seal off that oil way

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »

Not sure they claim it will cure sumping,
They didn't claim a cure, just a reduction.
From their web page for this cure-all:
crank case vent for  m8 and tc…. easy install solves many problems, lower engine temps, free breathing crank case, less sumping, installs in seconds.  relieves crank case pressure and oil filter blow by even on stock bikes,
If you want peace, prepare for war.

jeroenelectrum

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 05:11:36 AM »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 07:48:39 AM »

Yet another part to get stolen off your bike when you have your back turned.  ::)
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »

True.  And the Feuiling part can cause cancer, so there's that as a possible deterrent....  :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 08:51:43 AM »

Read that ad from Fueling and you get the impression buying an M8 engine is a bad idea, since they have poor ring sealing and other issues that make Fueling's vent product a necessity.  I didn't notice a disclaimer either about how venting crankcase fumes to atmosphere is against the law (violation of emissions regulations).  One point I noticed in their blurb got me laughing though, as it points out a flaw many others noted early on in the sumping debates.  "Note: The oil pick up port is on the right side of the engine. Letting the bike idle or warm up on the kickstand will naturally fill the engine case and skew the oil level in the tank."

On the Twin Cams, the instructions where to let the engine idle on the side stand two minutes before shutting down, to allow the oil pump to move as much oil as possible from the sump to the oil pan/tank, prior to checking levels or changing the oil.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »

I don't think the vent system was meant to be a cure all but an aid. T-Man Performance came out with a similar but much improved version.

The second mouse gets the cheese.

bigcraig

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »

Hers is a pic with the Feuling kit installed.

bigcraig

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »

Another

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

Positive crank venting has proven to help ring seal.  Free breathing an engine would do the opposite, right?  Creating a vacuum at higher RPM helps horsepower.  Free breathing would do the opposite, right?

Anybody ever have a bike come in because it was puking oil because the umbrella valves were shot and not sealing?  Problems that come with free breathing engines and a great example why no one does it.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »

I don't care what he says in the video, you have to be stupid to do that drilling with part on bike.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.