Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: What type of Tool Kit do you carry when Traveling on your bike?  (Read 7747 times)

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)

Is there a certain type of kit that you carry when traveling? Home made, Harley supplied or one that you purchase on EBAY or home town store.  Not sure that the one supplied by Harley is sufficient enough for fixing issues on the road. 
I know most of us carry: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Harley Roadside Assistance, AAA, or other known roadside coverage. 

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: What type of Tool Kit do you carry when Traveling on your bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »

Is there a certain type of kit that you carry when traveling? Home made, Harley supplied or one that you purchase on EBAY or home town store.  Not sure that the one supplied by Harley is sufficient enough for fixing issues on the road. 
I know most of us carry: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Harley Roadside Assistance, AAA, or other known roadside coverage.
I have an older version of the one you have pictured. At the time it was the best deal on a kit I could find.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »

cell phone
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

I have an older version of the CruzTools RoadTech Teardrop that I purchased back when I had my Fatboy w/the Chrome Teardrop Toolbox on the swingarm.

The kit now sits in the bottom of one of my saddlebags.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »

One thought to keep in mind; the fits-all tool kits may help, and are certainly better than nothing, but they need some supplementing.  The bikes aren't a one size fits all contraption.

Add a small spool of mechanics wire; just in case something loose needs tied up.  Some electrical wire also, and maybe some t-taps or other connection aids along with a roll of electrical tape.  Some small wire cutters and needle nose and whatever else may be specific to your bike.  Also keep in mind that small basic socket and wrench sets from Craftsman or other vendors are often had inexpensively and may work better (i.e., not round out or round off) as easily as some of the "kit" tools might.

Take a walk-around around the bike during oil changes (when you're checking critical fasteners and eye-balling everything else [aren't you?]).  Make note of what tools are needed.  What size allen tool is needed for the crank sensor (for example) as that is a too often failed piece you can change on the side of the road.  Won't have to carry a "large" tool box.  But adding some supplement to a little universal tool pouch can't hurt and might help.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »

Snap On offers a HD specific tool kit that I have added a few items to. My tour pack is the dedicated road trip  essentials location. Included is the small cycle pump compressor  with the rubber mushroom type plug kit, a very small cheapo DVOM, the new compact jump pack with an end that plugs into my battery tender lead. I have a 6 ft piece of hard plastic 1/4" air line for siphoning fuel, a set of spark plugs, tie raps, electrical tape, a pair of surgical gloves and small bottle of purell hand cleaner. Rain suits, spare clear helmet visors, small container of bugslide and microfiber cloth and rainx and lastly 2 spare remote batteries in with owners manual that I change out annually . All of this is loaded and ready at all times.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »

Snap On offers a HD specific tool kit that I have added a few items to. My tour pack is the dedicated road trip  essentials location. Included is the small cycle pump compressor  with the rubber mushroom type plug kit, a very small cheapo DVOM, the new compact jump pack with an end that plugs into my battery tender lead. I have a 6 ft piece of hard plastic 1/4" air line for siphoning fuel, a set of spark plugs, tie raps, electrical tape, a pair of surgical gloves and small bottle of purell hand cleaner. Rain suits, spare clear helmet visors, small container of bugslide and microfiber cloth and rainx and lastly 2 spare remote batteries in with owners manual that I change out annually . All of this is loaded and ready at all times.

Holy sheet Snap-on combined with HD I can only imagine the price of that thing lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Sets-Set-Motorcycle-Tool-P641504.aspx

This is the kit I carry...Snap-on Motorcycle kit. 

el chuco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Sets-Set-Motorcycle-Tool-P641504.aspx

This is the kit I carry...Snap-on Motorcycle kit.
Very nice tool kit to travel with, but, how much does that weight? I ask because I want to buy one to carry on my CVO Softail Deluxe, but, the saddle bags have a 10lb carry limit.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »

Just guessing it weighs 6-7 lbs. I have added an axle nut sizes crescent wrench to mine..

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 06:14:14 AM »

That Snap-on is a Very Nice Set !!!
DND

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »

I carry a home made version (I will get pictures later). I also carry electrical tape, small flashlight, a good rag and a can of fix a flat (I used that once on a friends bike). When in Daytona last month I saw a couple of metric bikes and several people looking around.  I asked if they needed help and the guys chain and busted. He had a master link but his stock bike tool kit wasn't providing what he needed. So I offered to help. We went back to my bike and got my tools out (his first comment was wow I didn't know how much space these bikes had). Then we went back and got his chain taken care of in about 10 minutes. I care a similar kit on the boat as well. My wife and I typically either fix or haul/tow at least two broke down bikes/boats a year. Someday when this happens to me I hope someone like me helps out!

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »

My wife and I typically either fix or haul/tow at least two broke down bikes/boats a year. Someday when this happens to me I hope someone like me helps out!
You have some karma in the bank! It's funny how much alike bikers and boaters are. I have never passed a bike or boat that appears in trouble without offering assistance. When in the cage though I have to know them. I guess my thoughts are if you are a biker or boater you have to be good people. Haven't been proven wrong yet and hope I never am.
T-MAN 117 kit

CannonBall

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »

The Harley kit that came with the bike is pretty good. I added a 1/4" drive, few common sockets and T's, tie straps and duct tape.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »

I carry, Nothing tool related. I used to, had a Snap-on HD kit and added stuff that I thought necessary, bought the liners/compartments that fit the bottom of the saddlebags and everything was neatly contained. Then after not using any of that stuff for over 10 years, I took it out and left it at home. Still have not had a need. I do carry a Cell phone, charge cable and USB/Cigarette adapter to charge if necessary. But that is all.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »

I found that I never leave home without my Nebo tool kit.  It has saved mine and countless others bacon many a time.  It quite small but is very handy.it has storeage in the handle for tourqe tips, Allen tips, and screw driver tips.  A seat of metric and Asa sockets.  I augment it with a 3" socket extention and a flat wratchet that will handle  the tips.  I also bring several feet of 14 gauge wire  a set of forecepts and wire connectors, along with some zip ties and needle nose pliers.  It will all fit in my back pocket.  I love this set up so much I carry the same kit in all my cars also.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »

Another image of the set.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »

Ive been hauling around the windzone kit for years. Used it a few times. I also carry a 12 volt tire inflator thats been used too. Also a black jack tire plug kit thats plugged a couple bike tires and a dozen truck tires. While im at it i also carry a package of fob batterys after getting stranded in reno.last but not least a pushrod cover keeper,some tie wire,small roll duct tape,handfull of zip ties,bendryl for bees,one hitter,38 airweight plus p,ammo,

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:02 PM »

I carry the factory kit with extra tools for up to 5/8 inch. Also have electrical tape, wire, wire ties and Allen wrenches.  A good pocket knife, motorcycle jumper cables and a flashlite. When I pull my Bushtec it has wheel bearings for the trailer, small air compressor, hand tire pump, socket  set including metric up to 7/8. Also a can of slime for tube type tires. (It works) have used it before and no problem continuing my travels.  Oh also a pistol.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »

I took a tennis ball tube and filled it with the tools thought needed and put it in a leather round tool bag. It fit nice in there and enough room for elect.tape, wire and a few small items. Neat package and the tools stay water tight.

finn

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 01:27:06 AM »

torq. & screw driver bits, box wrench set, leatherman, plug kit, air comp. and I don't leave home without bailing wire, and duct tape.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »

You have some karma in the bank! It's funny how much alike bikers and boaters are. I have never passed a bike or boat that appears in trouble without offering assistance. When in the cage though I have to know them. I guess my thoughts are if you are a biker or boater you have to be good people. Haven't been proven wrong yet and hope I never am.

X2 and Very True!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »

I just carry the tool kit that comes with my CVO's and a good Leatherman tool
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »

if you check my bike right now. Sunscreen 50+"the Highest SPF I can find in a spray", cyclepump, tire plug kit, factory tool kit, AAA led flashlight. for trips I add a second tool kit, wire, butt splices, tie wraps, extra tools not in HD kit, "torx & ect",qty=2  1" x 12in velcro strapes, tape, "C" size led light with red strobe, First aid kit. For Iron butt ride's add 1gallon saddle bag gas can. Cell Phone, Leather man, HOG roadside card on the hip always. 9mm & 380 usually, 45 & 380 sometimes depends on where I am going hahahaha
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

ultrarider123

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »

I have an old early '80's zipper HD tool pouch that I've filled with what I would consider essential tools for minor side-o-da-road repairs and have carried it with me for 25 years.  The contents have been modified as the MoCo has updated their product (examples: I removed the Dynajet carb rebuild kit from the pouch...added different size zip ties...got a story for both... >:( ) but the basic "kit" has stayed the same.  I've considered purchasing a kit at different times but the old pouch has some sentiment to me and really, I've never needed anything different that I didn't already have in the kit (so far).  It had the right tools to allow me to rebuild the carb (8 times), remove the tank, install a new coil, etc. on the '95 Ultra on our Sturgis and Canada/BC trip in '95.....turned out to be a factory installation error of the wire harness from the ignition to electronics....whoopee!

I like the Snap-on kit but not at $320 bucks..... :o  Good equipment but they know it and price accordingly.

As our bikes have changed, so is how much we can actually do to them ourselves.  That's a double edged sword....great if you ride local/close to your home dealership and/or just don't work on them much.  Not so good if you travel long distances and have an issue on the roadside in the middle of Bum-tussle, Iowa/Nebraska/Utah.... :2vrolijk_21:
I like wrenching on mine as the more I know/understand/cuss it in the garage, the more I know/expect/possibly repair on the roadside to get me to a dealer without calling AAA.  Therefore, my kit reflects what I know I can do.... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:53:24 AM by Haird »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »

I carry what ever comes with the bike. Between the wife and I we have logged over 170'000 miles on five different Harleys and the worst breakdown we have had is one flat tire. I did have a front brake go out on five day trip that detoured us to a dealer for a three hour layover but we have not ever put a tool to a bike on the road. How we have gotten away with this I do not know except I keep things checked and fixed before we leave out for a day ride or week.

I carry and use sunscreen, lip balm and eyewash solution.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »

I have an old early '80's zipper HD tool pouch that I've filled with what I would consider essential tools for minor side-o-da-road repairs and have carried it with me for 25 years.  The contents have been modified as the MoCo has updated their product (examples: I removed the Dynajet carb rebuild kit from the pouch...added different size zip ties...got a story for both... >:( ) but the basic "kit" has stayed the same.  I've considered purchasing a kit at different times but the old pouch has some sentiment to me and really, I've never needed anything different that I didn't already have in the kit (so far).  It had the right tools to allow me to rebuild the carb (8 times), remove the tank, install a new coil, etc. on the '95 Ultra on our Sturgis and Canada/BC trip in '95.....turned out to be a factory installation error of the wire harness from the ignition to electronics....whoopee!

I like the Snap-on kit but not at $320 bucks..... :o  Good equipment but they know it and price accordingly.

As our bikes have changed, so is how much we can actually do to them ourselves.  That's a double edged sword....great if you ride local/close to your home dealership and/or just don't work on them much.  Not so good if you travel long distances and have an issue on the roadside in the middle of Bum-tussle, Iowa/Nebraska/Utah.... :2vrolijk_21:
I like wrenching on mine as the more I know/understand/cuss it in the garage, the more I know/expect/possibly repair on the roadside to get me to a dealer without calling AAA.  Therefore, my kit reflects what I know I can do.... :2vrolijk_21:
Bum-tussle Iowa? Never heard of it Howard!  :)

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »

Bum-tussle Iowa? Never heard of it Howard!  :)

Sure you have, Jesse....it's right next to Middle-o-nowhere, IA and just down from Yobuttb-lost, IA..... :huepfenlol2:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »

Sure you have, Jesse....it's right next to Middle-o-nowhere, IA and just down from Yobuttb-lost, IA..... :huepfenlol2:
Haha. Yes sir. Hopefully I'll be relocating to where-the-hell-am-I, SC!

akodust

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »

I carry what ever comes with the bike. Between the wife and I we have logged over 170'000 miles on five different Harleys and the worst breakdown we have had is one flat tire. I did have a front brake go out on five day trip that detoured us to a dealer for a three hour layover but we have not ever put a tool to a bike on the road. How we have gotten away with this I do not know except I keep things checked and fixed before we leave out for a day ride or week.

I carry and use sunscreen, lip balm and eyewash solution.

+1   I carry the tools that came with my cvo plus another harley kit that came with my other bike...I got logged in for over 100,000 miles on my harleys and only had a flat tire and compensator problems...I was lucky, I also met a girlfriend...that another story. If my bike stops on me, I got HOG membership, Insurance and ESP to cover it. Oh and a cell phone.   :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21:
Been riding for over 40 Years.
16 CVO Limited-Bought 9/16.
16 Vrod-Sold
09 CVO Ultra-Sold***09 Ultra-Root Beer-Sold
07 Electra Glide Standard***05 Heritage-Sold
05 Heritage
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.821 seconds with 21 queries.