Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Bushtec Trailers  (Read 7780 times)

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
Bushtec Trailers
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »

FYI,

I wanted to order a Bushtec trailer the other day and was somewhat put off by the order delay time 9 to 11 weeks - even without matching CVO colors..

I found a dealership in outside of Lincoln, Nebraska that stocks new Bushtec trailers and sells at MSRP.

I called them up 1pm today (thursday 2/6/08) and they had the base trailer I wanted and just had to add/install the accessories to it (no extra charge). We did the transaction (no sales tax) and then I received an email telling me they had all the accessories in stock (cooler, roof rack, bags, harley hitch, etc) and would complete it today with shipment tomorrow (Friday 2/7/08).  They say it should take 3-5 business days to get here.

I got a plain Black Turbo-2 with all the appropriate chrome.   :jalapeno:

Pretty awesome!  So if you don't want a custom paint job and would like to get one quick (they have 40 more coming in) ........

Here is the contact info if you want to checkem' out.

www.rodspowersports.com

Kurt Collins   <==== sales manager
Rod's Power Sports
1030 Saltillo Rd
Roca,  Ne   68430
1-800-898-9411

Mark

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Bushtec Trailers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »

Congrats.  You'll really enjoy the trailer. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »

Great news Mark. My limited experience already tells me you'll love having yours behind you.

Last summer when I finally succumbed to the urge the company gave me a quicker time frame then you saw now.  And they had stock at rallies different places too.  They also gave the name of a few dealers that were stocking dealers.  They were surprisingly helpful and interested in helping me find something somewhere. 

Then, being my normal patient self, my second or third day of looking I found that used one that I could go get the next day.  Ended up saving some money in the process.  Now it's red too :2vrolijk_21: .

If the hitch or harness install fights you at all give me a shout.  Fought that little battle already here.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »

Thanks 2Lane - your experience and guidance is greatly appreciated.

I read somewhere about an aftermarket wiring block that would not require me to splice into the stock harness -- do you know if there is such a thing or is it really no big deal to wire it in.

BTW - I remember when you got your trailer detailed at the Arkansas Rally -- it did turn out beautiful.

Mark

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »

Marc you're gonna look sweet with that BT behind you! Congrats!

AJ

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »

...I read somewhere about an aftermarket wiring block that would not require me to splice into the stock harness -- do you know if there is such a thing or is it really no big deal to wire it in...
Mark

I think JP Cycles sells one.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »

I read somewhere about an aftermarket wiring block

This seller is even within Texas.  Check eBay here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280203825633

FWIW, I and a few others have had issue with the isolators that Bushtec provides.  I had redundant failures with it actually.  It also creates something of a rat's nest installation.

I ended up blowing off the isolator, doing a much neater install as a result, using all LEDs for trailer bulbs to make it almost no load and just put small inline fuses in each leg right behind the interconnect adaptor listed above here.  It was like that when you saw it in Hot Springs and has been for a couple thousand miles since.  No problems at all.

If you want to use their isolator and haven't paid for one yet let me know. I'll mail you the still new 2nd replacement they sent me.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »

This seller is even within Texas.  Check eBay here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280203825633

FWIW, I and a few others have had issue with the isolators that Bushtec provides.  I had redundant failures with it actually.  It also creates something of a rat's nest installation.

I ended up blowing off the isolator, doing a much neater install as a result, using all LEDs for trailer bulbs to make it almost no load and just put small inline fuses in each leg right behind the interconnect adaptor listed above here.  It was like that when you saw it in Hot Springs and has been for a couple thousand miles since.  No problems at all.

If you want to use their isolator and haven't paid for one yet let me know. I'll mail you the still new 2nd replacement they sent me.

Here's the one from J&P - http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=3D295022-9732-4307-B3B1-3D555753DF53&search=trailer+wiring+adapter&store=All&page=1

I just upgraded from the ic taillights to the led.  Even though I've never had any problem with the isolator wonder if I should / could not go without it ala Don.  Don, exactly what did you fuse?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »

Order block from ebay  (x)  done

The isolator is shipped as a standard part of Harley hitch - I'll not use it per your instructions. What inline fuses do you recommend using?

Do you have p/n's of the LED bulbs I should get?  Did you replace the internal light bulb with LED also?

Many thanks 2Lane!

Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »

Here's the one from J&P - http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=3D295022-9732-4307-B3B1-3D555753DF53&search=trailer+wiring+adapter&store=All&page=1

I just upgraded from the ic taillights to the led.  Even though I've never had any problem with the isolator wonder if I should / could not go without it ala Don.  Don, exactly what did you fuse?

Jerry, with LED bulbs back there you're adding less load to the bike than many do with the doo-dads we hang on the bikes themselves.  And those various doo-dads are commonly on some accessory circuit or another.  Many, like saddlebag latch lights, spoiler and tour pak lights are designed to be plugged in to the accessory conector or t/s or park light circuits.  So I'm not at all concerned by running a small load of LEDs in the trailer.

The inline fuses are easy if you're so inclined.  Just hit the parts store and tell the counter guy you want the physically smalled inline fuse connector he can give you.  You've already got a splice where the pigtail off that interconnect adapator you just linked to meets the trailer harness.  Just put the fuses in between the two; in between the interconnect's pigtail and the downstream part of the trailer harness. 

Load the fuse holders with small fuses (3 amp is plenty for LEDs back there).  If anything happens downstream of that connector behind the battery you pop the little fuse.  It makes for a much neater and much simpler install then that rat's nest we saw on yours that the electrical tape jockey from Bumpus had created when installing your isolator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »

Mark, your Turbo may or may not be socketed differently than my Roadstar is.  Just take the bulbs out and visit a good local parts store.  Tell the counter guy you want LED replacements.

Depending on the color lenses on your trailer you may have to be picky about using white or amber or even red bulbs.  Ask the counter guy that if yours don't show through well can you swap them for a different color.  LED bulbs are quirky that way.

They'll last basically forever though.  So once in and satisfactory you never have to worry about it again.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »

Will follow your directions - I'm very grateful as usual. 

Mark

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »

2Lane,

One last thing -- do you have the part number for the street glide (painted) fender tip?  I found the new light kit for it.  I dont want the chrome one.

Thanks,

Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »

2Lane,

One last thing -- do you have the part number for the street glide (painted) fender tip?  I found the new light kit for it.  I dont want the chrome one.

Thanks,

Mark

Was looking for that for someone last week Mark.  A little surprisingly I didn't have it.  It's not a problem anymore though.  No longer VIN restricted.  Just tell any parts counter guy you want that rear light fascia for a 200X Street Glide.  Painted to match they'll only be in FLHX colors.  So just get a primered one as it'll get stripped when you paint it anyway.

If the parts counter gives you a part number for the light for it from the FLHX catalog don't use it.  There's an accessory released part as of last summer that is a better replacement.  Stock light is a single purpose running light.  The accessory part number is a running light/brake light unit.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »

Thanks 2Lane  - I'll call Jeni in the morning to order.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.759 seconds with 21 queries.