Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More About Those Deer  (Read 3325 times)

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
More About Those Deer
« on: March 04, 2004, 10:33:20 PM »

This is probably more than some want to know, but what the hell.  About those deer and whistles etc.

There is plenty of testimonials that they work, but no hard data from sound research that they do! The fact is sometimes deer will react to a whistle and sometimes not.  Just as they will sometimes reaat to flashing your headlights and sometimes not and sometimes react to a horn and sometimes not.

I live in the middle of a woods and have been watching, studying, (and hunting & eating!) deer for many years.  Here's what we know.  Deer can't see very well.  They are also color blind. (That's why hunters can wear blaze orange and deer still run up to them!)  They can detect movement well, but not discern details.  That's why if they see you in the woods and you are not moving they will often stomp their foot to try and make you move so they can see you better.  So during the day they can see some movement sometimes on a road, (wave your arm, etc) but at night not.  That's also why they freeze in the headlights.  They see a light but cannot pick up the movement.

They also have a very keen sense of smell..no help in our riding situation.  And they can hear very well...here comes the deer whistles.  They can hear the whistles, but so what.  They do not know what it is and do not automatically react because they don't.  It's just a noise to them and, as often as not, they will just freeze and try to see what's up.  (Just you want from a deer in the middle of the road!)   An old hunting trick is to talk or grunt at a running deer.  Often they will stop dead in their tracks just to figure out what is making the noise!  (Makes an easier shot!)

The whole thing is even more complicated because deer react differently at diferent times of the year and different sexes react differently.  For example, during the rutting season, the buck has only one thing on his mind and no dam whistle is going to deter him.  I was riding in a Jeep during the rut and a buck was standing in the middle of the road ahead.  We came to a full stop, honked the horn, flashed the lights and the buck took a look at us and proceeded to ram the jeep!!  Put his antler through the radiator!

In early summer the does have their fawns and will "kick out" the yearlings from the nest so to speak.  They then a roam around and are dumber than a post.  They just don't know what to do and act and react really unpredicatable.

So if you want to use the whisles, go ahead.  They probably don't hurt.  (They also "keep away the elephants"!)  But don't relax and think you are safe.  You can't a trust a deer to react in any particular way.  (Until they are in the freezer!)

'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Re: More About Those Deer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 09:05:37 PM »

Well Jay, I guess you succeded and got me thinkin. Just not sure what I'll do--stop/swerve/hit?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I can say that every time I have seen deer in my area, they immediately ran back into the woods. But you see, that's only because I wanted my kids to get a good close-up look. When I'm on my bike is when they will probably want to be all social and stuff!  

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 11:02:48 PM »

OK. I was heading back from the shore this evening (how you can wave conditions go from 10 foot to completely flat overnight I don't know!) and I was heading down the backroad to my house--nice and twisty--in my truck that is--if the sand on the road doesn't kill me on my bike the salt will certainly kill the bike--so it's still in the garage. And I thought "You know, I think the statistics of bikers hitting deer are probably the same as cars hitting deer, and that's gotta be quite infrequent, pretty poor odds, besides, I haven't seen deer in a year at least." I round the last corner to my home and there they are, full family--momma, pappa, and the kids on the side of the road next to my driveway! So I back up to get a better look and point the car directly at them angled across the road with the hi-beams right on them, perhaps 50 feet. They all skip into the brush except one--he/she actually walks back up the small hill to check me out--stops and looks right into the headlights--damn! For a minute, I thought that deer was gonna come right up to my truck and ask me what I was doin! Unbelievable!  

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 01:14:49 AM »

When I'm on my bike is when they will probably want to be all social and stuff!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:16:34 AM by psychodeuce »

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 10:04:42 PM »

Psycho, way to stay alert.

Getting "T-boned" by a deer is neither fantasy nor parnoia.  Over the years it has happened to me while in cars...twice!

Now let's hear about the young punks!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 11:08:36 PM »

You know, beside thinking about more coming deer out of those woods and nailing me, all I could think about was how rediculus it would have been to have had that happen so soon after having having joined in on this discussion! I mean give me a freakin' break! In hindsight, had I been going 40-50 I would have either been right on them or even hit one. Even with good stopping skills at those speeds, the 20 feet or so I had left (at lower speed) would most likely been chewed up. My stopping skill level is pretty good up to 30, but in my practice sessions at 40-50, I have skid the rear wheel--insufficient front brake I presume. Think I'll head over to the mall parking lot next chance I get to get in more practice at the higher speeds.  

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 10:26:58 AM »

You know, beside thinking about more coming deer out of those woods and nailing me, all I could think about was how rediculus it would have been to have had that happen so soon after having having joined in on this discussion! I mean give me a freakin' break! In hindsight, had I been going 40-50 I would have either been right on them or even hit one. Even with good stopping skills at those speeds, the 20 feet or so I had left (at lower speed) would most likely been chewed up. My stopping skill level is pretty good up to 30, but in my practice sessions at 40-50, I have skid the rear wheel--insufficient front brake I presume. Think I'll head over to the mall parking lot next chance I get to get in more practice at the higher speeds.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 11:12:52 PM »

A tad bit off topic--but not much. How bout those Moose! I was leaving my neighborhood in my F-150 heading up to the Maine coast for the weekend with the family. As we passed a side street intersection my wife says "Did you see that huge-big thing on the right side of the road?" "What--there wasn't anything there" I said due to my ever increasing and sharpening motorcycle skills. Well, I turned around in a driveway and headed back to the aforementioned side street intersection and as I approached, sure enough there he was--had to have been at least 10 feet tall ! Standing there on my left side as I had turned around. Then, the female crossed right in front of the truck to join papa! This was the first time any one in my family had seen moose. It was surreal to say the least. They both walked up the middle of the street with us right behind them checking them out and laughing. Felt like we should have called the zoo or something--they were huge!  [smiley=shocked2.gif]

Seems I got lucky here. Passed between the male and the female. Very easily could have had the female right thru the windshield had she crossed in front of me. On a bike--almost seems if you duck you might be able to go right underneath! Or lose your head in the process! Or take out those long legs and have the thing fall right on you! Unbelievable.

[smiley=shocked2.gif]  

microwave

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 01:55:26 AM »

i was told real bikers never use their back brake [smiley=confused5.gif]
got beer?

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 02:03:43 PM »

I hope you are kidding...It's just plain silly to not use it all the time.  If you practice not using it, you will have longer stopping distances when you really need to stop ASAP.

ELECTRADOG

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 02:25:31 PM »

Just totaled my 01 Electraglide last Sept. hitting a 80 lb. doe.  

Cruising down highway at 65, looked in right rear view mirror to check on wife and other 5 bikes behind me.  As I brought my vision back to center what did I see but a big doe standing right there in front of my bike.  All I could think about at that time was ssshh#@%^#$&*tttttttt and to hold on tight, no time to take my feet off highway pegs or even brake ...... WAMMMMMM.  It knocked bike sideways and into the air - I came off the high side when bike flipped.  

The next thing I remember was I was sliding down highway and watching my bike sliding in front of me.  I kept trying to vary my position on the asphalt to prevent road burn and control my  sliding.

I slid about 250 ft with bike going another 50 or so feet.  I stopped just short on a big brick mailbox on the side of the road.  

Boy was my biker angel looking out for me cause I only had 4 small spots of road rash due to heavy leather jacket and jeans.  Knee, back of hand, both elbows.  

Well after sitting up and looking at bike down the road I wonder what happened to the deer, cause if it wasn't dead I was gonna kill it, she was.   Well the next thing to do was light up a cigarette.

The doe didn't fair so well.  she took off the right spot and turn signal but not before they cut her neck wide open.  She spun 8 times down the highway spewing blood all over.

My wife and buddies did a great job avoiding the both of us but did end up with a lot of deer blood all over their bikes.

I was lucky since I usually ride in shorts and tiva's, not any more.  Just happened to put on leather hacket and boots for the morning.

Well, now I just got my bike replaced with a '05 Ultra and looking out for deer.  

Live to Ride and glad I can still do it!!!!!

Keep and open eye to all the road.

Electradog. [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 05:58:40 PM »

i was told real bikers never use their back brake [smiley=confused5.gif]

Back in the day it was "real bikers don't have a front brake"! [smiley=laugh.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

starvin

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 08:12:26 PM »

Hey dog glad to hear your all right. them dam deer are my one fear. They get a little bigger up here, I've heard trying to drive through them is your best bet I hope I never have to find out. On a side note in my never ending attempt to be everyone elses opinion of a real biker I've decided to stop using any brakes at all. Besides I heard real bikers have already crashed and after 30 some years and thousands of miles I don't uderstand why I have'nt bit the dust.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 08:57:45 PM »

I heard real bikers have already crashed and after 30 some years and thousands of miles I don't uderstand why I have'nt bit the dust.

You're a lucking man Dave!!!! I hope you knocked on wood when you wrote that!!! I've been down twice in my years...Once from a dog and once from a pot hole on an offramp. Neither time did I have life threatining injuries but I don't wish hitting the pavement on anyone!!!

Keep on' Keeping the shiny side up!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 08:49:06 PM »

While I have never hit a deer, I did hit a dog on my first bike.  This caused me to have 38 sitches in the head, plastic surgery (no hemelt) a broken arm and leg.  I trust I never experience this type event again.

As for the passenger I do not know at the time, skin graphing on her chin from the back of her leg.  I later on in life went to school with her and she is fine, no scars. [smiley=oops.gif]

Bottom Line - Be careful!

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.