Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Can radar pick up a motorcycle?  (Read 7643 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Can radar pick up a motorcycle?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

All in car units have the capacity to operate stationary or on the move, I'd be really surprised if there was legislation anywhere that said it had to be done while standing still... imagine how dangerous it would be for other motorists trying to catch the guy who just passed at 100 mph from the parked position!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »

All in car units have the capacity to operate stationary or on the move, I'd be really surprised if there was legislation anywhere that said it had to be done while standing still... imagine how dangerous it would be for other motorists trying to catch the guy who just passed at 100 mph from the parked position!

It wasn't that PA cops couldn't clock people while on the move, it was that it was some type of entrapment issue and there was a state statute requiring cops to be stationary while "officially" clocking someone.

I believe the radar has a built in scan of the ground speed and then automatically deducts that from the on coming or going with car they are clocking.  So PA cops had the ability, but not by law.  At least that was in the late 80's or early 90's.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »

I believe the radar has a built in scan of the ground speed and then automatically deducts that from the on coming or going with car they are clocking.  So PA cops had the ability, but not by law.  At least that was in the late 80's or early 90's.

That's how all the mobile units work Dan, ground speed is the speed that the cruiser is traveling at and target speed is the speed of the offender.

When an officer gives evidence and advises the trier of fact the speed that they were travelling when they clocked the 'bad guy" they use the speed from the unit (ground speed) not from their own speedo.

FYI... pretty much all mobile units now also have "heads" in the front and the rear of the patrol cars and or bikes, so you can be tracked in either direction if the operator knows how to operate the machine properly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:18:12 PM by murphy »

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »

When I was a kid there was a strongman named Hercules Macelroy who let cars drive across his body. He claimed that eating two dozen eggs for breakfast made him storng. I don't think he could "pick up a motorcycle" though, and I'm not sure about this Radar guy..

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »

When I was a kid there was a strongman named Hercules Macelroy who let cars drive across his body. He claimed that eating two dozen eggs for breakfast made him storng. I don't think he could "pick up a motorcycle" though, and I'm not sure about this Radar guy..
:D

Side note, I've been told by LEOs that the laser HAS to be stationary and the unit must be "braced" so to speak against something. That's why you'll see them holding the unit across their arm or laying on top of the door.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »

I can clear this up........Yes! They definitely pick up a motorcycle.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:52:53 AM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »

I can clear this up........Yes! They definitely pick up a motorcycle.
YEP, That pic is pretty clear   :'(

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »

Side note, I've been told by LEOs that the laser HAS to be stationary and the unit must be "braced" so to speak against something. That's why you'll see them holding the unit across their arm or laying on top of the door.

Nope... the only reason why folks will "brace it" like you described is that regardless of weight, any portable - hand held unit will become to feel  heavy over time... even those that are deemed "ultra light" can feel like a couple hundred pounds after holding them all day!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:02:49 AM by murphy »

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »

thats odd,,,,,,, crotch rockets usually just outrun a ticket   :nixweiss:

They foolishly try & sometimes succeed in losing the trooper--hard to outrun the radio though...   8)
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

;) According to the ME State Trooper, I was doing 135 with my significant on the back, so I guess so.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »

The last several years I have been pulled over by unmarked cars that were coming toward me when they clocked me, they were in Minnesota, Arkansas and Illinois.  So those can do it for sure. 

Only the guy in MN gave me a ticket, he must have been having a bad day. 

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 10:40:01 AM »

;) According to the ME State Trooper, I was doing 135 with my significant on the back, so I guess so.

DR

Ouch...   :o
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »

As a side note......fight all speeding tix....if not thrown out, it will usually be reduced.

A technique that I have used in the past is to keep a record of  one or two out of province plates likely to be going the same direction as I am for a while......submit that that is who may have been speeding in my vicinity, they are called.........reasonable doubt. Has worked a couple times for me.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »

I'm gonna just throw this out there... Obviously I can't speak for every jurisdiction, but in everyone that I know of a conviction (or dismissal) can be appealed, right to the highest court in the land, regardless of the interpreted seriousness of the offence.

Many radar cars have in-car camera systems that generally are operated during vehicle stops, in most cases once the camera is activated it will have saved footage 30 seconds before the activation, which should capture the offense and and in theroy all other vehicles in the area as well.

Lets just say that the officer takes a vested interest in the conviction or dismissal, there is a big difference in the courts eyes between reasonable doubt and what could be considered a far more sereious offense of middleasing them.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »

Not on the bike, but an "accuracy" point.

Couple years ago I was heading down the NJ Turnpike to Philly airport, morning traffic. Not late, but wanted to get there plenty early.  Seen a black BMW, black Mercedes ,both with New York plates, both hauling down the fast lane. Figured great, Ill let them run rabbet in follow along.

Did that for only a bit before I thought this is crazy, there going to jail if they get caught. About the time I started to slow I noticed a row of 4 cars parked perpendicular off the roadway.

H'mm slowed down just in time. Not so - I got pulled over, figured oh well, 75 in a 65. The young trooper (figured no slack there) said the obligatory DO you know why I pulled you over? Knowing the recorder was on I said "I'm not sure".

"I have you doing 91 on laser". I was completely taken by surprise and of course doubted his claim. I was driving my brick of a vehicle, GMC 2500HD. "91  - no way do I think I was doing 91". Anyway he asks how my license is - I have no tickets, no accidents. Before he heads back to his car I ask "does it help my son is a LEO and I am career fire?"

He let me go with a verbal with the warning about my speed. No problem. I did the next 50 miles or so at 62 MPH and was paced twice along the roadway. No doubt my truck was radioed to patrols.

The point of this is I absolutely did not believe he caught me, had to be the two rabbets.

When I got to Mobile, AL that night I downloaded my GPS track.

Trooper was spot on, I found my track and I was doing 91 where he said he lasered me. And that was during the morning rush hour, with 4l anes of traffic.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 24 queries.