Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harley To Discontinue 6 Models In 2014 Lineup (not sure about CVO Breakout)  (Read 7716 times)

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE

Harley To Discontinue 6 Models In 2014 Lineup (not sure about CVO Breakout)  http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/05/02/harley-davidson-to-discontinue-6-models-in-2014-lineup/

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue

No Surprise's there.
DND

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE

I guess that makes my 2013 FLHTCUSE8 a real collectible now...

I'll just park it next to my 2003 Anniversary Dyna. The hard part will be waiting for the 200th (or would that be the 210th) Anniversary to sell them for possibly what I paid for them.

Score!

:apple: :huepfenlol2: :apple:
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs

Hard to believe they are discontinuing the Road King Classic. I thought it was a big seller. I guess buyers want fully tricked-out baggers with fairings and audio now.

Too bad... the RKC is a beautiful machine that hardens back to a less complex era.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ultrarider123

Hard to believe they are discontinuing the Road King Classic. I thought it was a big seller. I guess buyers want fully tricked-out baggers with fairings and audio now. Too bad... the RKC is a beautiful machine that hardens back to a less complex era.
Ken

Yep Ken.  When all Harleys were air cooled, mechanically loud, antiquated transmission/suspension/handling.... :o ::) ;D :2vrolijk_21:

:huepfenlol2: Just a'kiddin' ol' buddy.  :huepfenlol2: 

I'm with you on the RKC looks.  The Road King never had a good feel to me (sitting or riding) but sure like that look of the classic.  Hate to see that one gone.
Howard

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

I guess that makes my 2013 FLHTCUSE8 a real collectible now...

I'll just park it next to my 2003 Anniversary Dyna. The hard part will be waiting for the 200th (or would that be the 210th) Anniversary to sell them for possibly what I paid for them.

Score!

:apple: :huepfenlol2: :apple:

Naw, according to the article they just discontinued the Electra Glide CLASSIC - not the ULTRA CLASSIC. I'm sure they will produce the FLHTCUSE9,10,11  - mayber after 9 they will start using roman numerals  -- FLHTCUSE.X - okay maybe not--  :huepfenlol2:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs

I can see them discontinuing the EG Classic... It's a just an Ultra without all of the bells and whistles - in the same way as the EG Standard was before it, and the old Evo EG Sport (FLHS) that had a windshield not a fairing before that. I can see most E-Glide buyers wanting an Ultra and not a Classic.

The discontinuing of the Road King Classic is a very different thing, though. The RK - and later the RKC - have been the mainstay for old school, non-fairing looks ever since it came out in 1994. There even used to be a Road King Custom that dissappeared several years ago.

The article said the RK Classic was being discontinued in the US, and the RK was being discontinued in Europe. I wonder if the standard RK will continue to be sold in the US, or if both Road Kings are going away altogether. That would be a shame - but I can see the now-automotive-centric thinking of the MoCo's current management as wanting to get new buyers to step up to the Ultra. I would think that Road King buyers would constitute a separate and statistically significant demographic from E-Glide buyers, though.

Makes me wonder how long they'll even keep offering the Street Glide, now that Willie G. is history... it WAS his baby, after all.

Ken
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:01:44 PM by North Georgia Hawg »

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

I think I read somewhere else that the Road King will be a US only model and the Road King Classic will be an international model.

Still lots of speculation out there about the Road Glide and the "tooling" changes, many are theorizing that entire "sharknose" is being redesigned  into some strange combination of a batwing single headlight and the angular look of the shark..Could turn out interesting.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

I think I read somewhere else that the Road King will be a US only model and the Road King Classic will be an international model.

Still lots of speculation out there about the Road Glide and the "tooling" changes, many are theorizing that entire "sharknose" is being redesigned  into some strange combination of a batwing single headlight and the angular look of the shark..Could turn out interesting.

At the considerable risk of being labeled a baseless rumor-monger... I probably should not even write this... I was riding with a guy a few weeks ago who is a friend of a friend, whose name I cannot remember, who told me that there is only one mold that is used to make all of the RG fairings... and it broke. Apparently it can't be fixed, so they have decided to redesign the fairing.

Who knows whether there is any truth at all to this... but apparently this guy was told this by Willie G's pool boy's sister's boss's cousin Martha... so it's PROBABLY true!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun

Maybe they will fix the RG so that the headlight turns with the handlebars. Guess you get used to it, just seems like it would leave a big blind spot at night.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?

Sportster XR1200X - probably one of the worst sellers
Softail Blackline - see above comment (maybe they're finally out of black paint?)
Electra Glide Classic - probably not a lot of profit margin in the basic model
Road King Classic - makes not sense, it's truly a 'classic' but numbers speak to bean counters
FLHR abandoned outside the US - probably not surprised here
2 models are temporarily discontinued - completely redesigned & new tooling
Road Glide Custom & Road Glide Ultra - Don, please check with Willie G's pool boy, if it's getting serviced for the summer!  :bananarock:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

I loved my two Road Kings.
Bill

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page

I loved my two Road Kings.
I love my CVO Street Glide, but I sure do miss my '03 Road King Classic...

braymond52

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide Atomic Orange

I love my CVO Street Glide, but I sure do miss my '03 Road King Classic...

Same here.  I still miss my '04 Road King Classic.  It was my first Harley...

Jerry/MD

Who knows whether there is any truth at all to this... but apparently this guy was told this by Willie G's pool boy's sister's boss's cousin Martha... so it's PROBABLY true!

Ken

Now that`s funny...I don`t care what you say.  ;D

All this stuff about the Road Glide is interesting. Only one mold for the fairing...and cannot be repaired? Kinda hard to believe.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

At the considerable risk of being labeled a baseless rumor-monger... I probably should not even write this... I was riding with a guy a few weeks ago who is a friend of a friend, whose name I cannot remember, who told me that there is only one mold that is used to make all of the RG fairings... and it broke. Apparently it can't be fixed, so they have decided to redesign the fairing.

Ken

That sounds plausible for a forced redesign, but I believe by law OEM's have to maintain replacement parts for X number of years.

So if it is broken, at some time they WILL have to fix the mold or make a new original style mold.

All of HD's plastic parts are injection molded on high tonnage presses.  In the case of the RG, the faring has positive releif angles so it's not a complex mold; an inner and outer only. You would not believe how massive a mold set like this is.

I have a '09 SERG now and love the look, but am excited to see the redesign. I agree with others on the blog sight that liquid cooling isn't a matter of if, but when. Thus would be the opportune time to make the leep. They have a widely popular model that many will by regardless of the cooling means. Almost a captive market to getnew technology out in the market.

Enough of my speculations for one day.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

That sounds plausible for a forced redesign, but I believe by law OEM's have to maintain replacement parts for X number of years.

So if it is broken, at some time they WILL have to fix the mold or make a new original style mold.

All of HD's plastic parts are injection molded on high tonnage presses.  In the case of the RG, the faring has positive releif angles so it's not a complex mold; an inner and outer only. You would not believe how massive a mold set like this is.

I have a '09 SERG now and love the look, but am excited to see the redesign. I agree with others on the blog sight that liquid cooling isn't a matter of if, but when. Thus would be the opportune time to make the leep. They have a widely popular model that many will by regardless of the cooling means. Almost a captive market to getnew technology out in the market.

Enough of my speculations for one day.

The main reason I posted the rumor about the broken mold was that it simply sounds so outrageous and unbelievable. I can't believe the MoCo would have only a single mold for making all of the RG fairings... but who knows, maybe they do... or did.

I just thought it was interesting, given the already-known news about the RG redesign for 2015, and its absence in 2014. I mean, if they could continue making RG fairings, why discontinue a popular model for 2014 just because they are redesigning it for 2015?

The only time I can recall a one year model absence was when Chevrolet completely redesigned the Corvette for 1984, and there was no 1983 model. I had a 1982 Vette, the last year of the old Coke bottle - or to some, phallic symbol - body style. I suppose there have been other 1-year absences for redesigned models in auto and motorcycle history though.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

The only time I can recall a one year model absence was when Chevrolet completely redesigned the Corvette for 1984, and there was no 1983 model. I had a 1982 Vette, the last year of the old Coke bottle - or to some, phallic symbol - body style. I suppose there have been other 1-year absences for redesigned models in auto and motorcycle history though.

Ken

Ken,

I've heard the rumor about the poor condition of the faring mold(s) on this site and several others.  They may have two molds, maybe only the one.  The mold cycle time for a faring like the RG is only a couple minutes.  It doesn't take long to make their production run requirements with one mold and injection mold press.  Most of the plants making these parts run their presses 24/7, but not always with the same molds installed.

The company I work for has a surface treating process that we only make.  It's an open air plasma surface treating tunnel.  When plastic parts are run through our electrical discharge tunnel, upwards of 250kv, the parts come out ready to paint without any primer at all.  Some of HD vendors selling them plastic parts use our machines.  We don't do black plastic parts as they tend to use carbon black as a colorant and carbon is conductive.  Anything conductive inside an electrical discharge tunnel like ours creates a lightning show like nothing else.  But not all black parts are colored with carbon black.  Tier 1 vendors for Ford, GM and European auto makers, BMW, Mercedes, VW etc use our equipment.  They can run steering wheel covers through our machines and go directly to paint minus primer.  This saves them about $0.45 on each part.  Times millions of parts, they've saved tons of money.  However I digress...

I was a service manager at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership in the days of the Corvette '83 absence.  I actually drove an '83 Corvette and did some fuel injection training on it at the GM Tech Center in Warren MI way too many years ago.  They did have serial numbers on them, but they were only very early preproduction '84s and were all destroyed.  Of course starting in late '42 production year, there were no '43, '44, '45 US production cars or trucks, only what was made for the military.

I'm still excited to see what HD does on the RG when it comes back in '15.  I think that water cooling is inevitable on at least the touring models.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

Ken,

I've heard the rumor about the poor condition of the faring mold(s) on this site and several others.  They may have two molds, maybe only the one.  The mold cycle time for a faring like the RG is only a couple minutes.  It doesn't take long to make their production run requirements with one mold and injection mold press.  Most of the plants making these parts run their presses 24/7, but not always with the same molds installed.

The company I work for has a surface treating process that we only make.  It's an open air plasma surface treating tunnel.  When plastic parts are run through our electrical discharge tunnel, upwards of 250kv, the parts come out ready to paint without any primer at all.  Some of HD vendors selling them plastic parts use our machines.  We don't do black plastic parts as they tend to use carbon black as a colorant and carbon is conductive.  Anything conductive inside an electrical discharge tunnel like ours creates a lightning show like nothing else.  But not all black parts are colored with carbon black.  Tier 1 vendors for Ford, GM and European auto makers, BMW, Mercedes, VW etc use our equipment.  They can run steering wheel covers through our machines and go directly to paint minus primer.  This saves them about $0.45 on each part.  Times millions of parts, they've saved tons of money.  However I digress...

I was a service manager at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership in the days of the Corvette '83 absence.  I actually drove an '83 Corvette and did some fuel injection training on it at the GM Tech Center in Warren MI way too many years ago.  They did have serial numbers on them, but they were only very early preproduction '84s and were all destroyed.  Of course starting in late '42 production year, there were no '43, '44, '45 US production cars or trucks, only what was made for the military.

I'm still excited to see what HD does on the RG when it comes back in '15.  I think that water cooling is inevitable on at least the touring models.

Interesting info, Dan. Harley molded parts like the fairings, side covers, and saddlebags are all made from ABS now, and they are black. I guess they don't use your company's cool-sounding equipment, or the ABS is not colored with carbon black.

I had thought that there was SUPPOSED to be a 1983 Vette, but that it had simply taken them too much time to work out all of the kinks of the completely new design. I also read that there were a lot of issues with the '84 Vettes, and I'm glad I didn't buy one!

It will be interesting to see the 2015 RG. The shark nose fairing has always been a love it or hate it deal. I have always liked it, and came very close to buying an '09 SERGC in the beautiful orange over black. One of the most stunning CVOs ever built IMHO. The Mirage Orange Pearl on the non-CVO '09 RG is also quite beautiful, I think.

Like you, I think liquid cooling is inevitable. I know about the radiator-in-the-lowers patent, and it will be interesting to see what the MoCo does with the new RG in 2015.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!

Where can I hire the pool boy??? Maybe he can get me a granite 120!!! On the water cooled subject what would we get, water cooled heads that we have probably all seen the sketches of or would we get a water cooled motor?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344

I know the elves north of me @ the HD factory. Have been busy working on the new body work of the "Dakota Project" AKA new Road-Glide for a while. They have told me be prepared for a cooler rider experience in 2014.5/2015. Will just have to wait and see.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

The letter to dealers about the Road Glide fairing mold being at "end of life" would appear to lend at least a modicum of credibility to the baseless rumor I posted earlier...

YESSSS!!!

Ken
Rumor-Monger Extraordinaire

The Wizard's Tune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG

Interesting info, Dan. Harley molded parts like the fairings, side covers, and saddlebags are all made from ABS now, and they are black. I guess they don't use your company's cool-sounding equipment, or the ABS is not colored with carbon black.

I had thought that there was SUPPOSED to be a 1983 Vette, but that it had simply taken them too much time to work out all of the kinks of the completely new design. I also read that there were a lot of issues with the '84 Vettes, and I'm glad I didn't buy one!
It will be interesting to see the 2015 RG. The shark nose fairing has always been a love it or hate it deal. I have always liked it, and came very close to buying an '09 SERGC in the beautiful orange over black. One of the most stunning CVOs ever built IMHO. The Mirage Orange Pearl on the non-CVO '09 RG is also quite beautiful, I think.

Like you, I think liquid cooling is inevitable. I know about the radiator-in-the-lowers patent, and it will be interesting to see what the MoCo does with the new RG in 2015.

Ken

I seem to remember the main problem was the crossfire injection.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344

I don't think the mold is broken. I asked and was told replacement fairings are being painted every week.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:20:57 PM by LC110 »
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

I don't think the mold is not broken. I asked and was told replacement fairings are being painted every week.

No, not broken... but apparently approaching "end of life", thus necessitating the fairing redesign according to the letter I saw on here.

Hey, I was KINDA close... in the ballpark anyway with something about the fairing mold!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 21 queries.