Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lane splitting.....  (Read 7617 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Lane splitting.....
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »

Thanks for posting. I have done it in construction sites and stop and go traffic to keep bike from overheating. Depending on who you ride with, sometimes it is difficult to get everyone to do it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:00:04 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

While my posts above were tongue in cheek, twisted humor, I'll try to be serious for a minute.  Yesterday it took me 48 minutes to go 8 miles here in San Diego and fortunately, I was in my truck.  Often, in the summer months up in the valley (the big valley) it's in the triple digits, but even when it's in the 80s and 90s in other parts of the state, being stuck in that stop and go kind of traffic (mostly stopped!), you're definitely going to overheat and that's why we do it.  To add to the daily temps, you have the added heat coming from all the cars around you with their A/C cranked up....it gets miserable real fast.

While other states may have this kind of traffic in a large city, California has this kind of traffic all up and down the state....we just have more vehicles on the road than other states.  What other states have freeways five or six lanes wide and they're all stopped?  Those that have traveled here from other states and traveled on weekdays during the commute hours (note...no longer called the "rush hour"), they know and have experienced it first hand.

You get stuck in this traffic and don't lane split, soon you'll hear your motor making noises that aren't supposed to be coming from a motorcycle. :nixweiss: 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »

:stop:   :vrolijk27:   That's crazy!   :bobby: 

I don't you will find any California riders that have not Lane split through traffic regularly.  Rode 35 miles last night to visit my father. He was recently widowed for a second time so it's important I get out there.  It took me nearly an hour and I split traffic for about half the ride. It would have taken me nearly twice that had I been in the car.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:45:10 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »

Say what you will about lane splitting, but it's a lot safer than going through an intersection.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »

Say what you will about lane splitting, but it's a lot safer than going through an intersection.
True
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »

This is the great thing about a bike if you go down and die you won't hurt any one in the semi truck or car. If you want to lane split go for it. I can see a manageable risk but the way this guy on the video was going he has no margin for the unexpected.

I was just talking to a man from Iowa about and get somewhere weather and deer hunting and he mentioned a relative that lived in San Diego and how nice the weather was . I told him it was to crowded for me. I am glad I do not have to take that much risk just to ride my bike.

I enjoyed the revving of the motor when coming up on the slow bike also lane splitting.  BTW I did live eight years in the San Bernardino /Riverside area. Enjoyed it a lot but had enough.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »

I'm just glad I don't live someplace where you have to ride like that to get out of/thru traffic.... I'll take cold, snow, salt, sand, and whatever else comes here before I'd want to or be comfortable riding like that.... Each to their own but that's not for me. :no:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 05:08:36 PM »

Not a chance here in Mass - don't care if it's legal or not, you will be wiped out. We're famous for lane changes without signals, diving from one lane to another to "get ahead" of everyone else, etc., etc.

:2vrolijk_21: 100% correct.
 Watching that video makes the ole "ballon knot" pucker!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:11:11 PM by jachd17 »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

The thing about lane splitting is:

It doesn't matter if others do it, the choice is yours. It's legal, but it's not the law, meaning one does not HAVE to do it. No one will fault you for riding in traffic if that's what you choose to do. Having choice is good.

Do I split lanes? Yes
Do I do it aggressively? No, I do it wisely. I wait for gaps. I wait till I know I am noticed as most cars will scoot over a tad if they see you're coming up. If not, then wait till one does.
Do I always split lanes? No, but I do most of the time. On the days I choose not to it's usually for reasons such as weather, poor visibility, lighting, position of the sun into drivers eyes, or just the "gut feeling" not to.
Do I feel safer splitting lanes? Yes I do.

There is a greater risk that you will get rear ended in slow and go traffic, than getting sideswiped by a car in lane. We all know of someone, maybe even ourselves, who has been rear ended in traffic. An occurrence of sideswiping is much. much lower. Speaking only for myself, I can think of no worse way to end up than sandwiched between the car stopped in front of you, and the car rolling up from behind.

Remember, the onus is on the rider to be safe. If you don't feel safe doing it, than don't.

But that's me, and I may be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »

The thing about lane splitting is:

It doesn't matter if others do it, the choice is yours. It's legal, but it's not the law, meaning one does not HAVE to do it. No one will fault you for riding in traffic if that's what you choose to do. Having choice is good.

Do I split lanes? Yes
Do I do it aggressively? No, I do it wisely. I wait for gaps. I wait till I know I am noticed as most cars will scoot over a tad if they see you're coming up. If not, then wait till one does.
Do I always split lanes? No, but I do most of the time. On the days I choose not to it's usually for reasons such as weather, poor visibility, lighting, position of the sun into drivers eyes, or just the "gut feeling" not to.
Do I feel safer splitting lanes? Yes I do.

There is a greater risk that you will get rear ended in slow and go traffic, than getting sideswiped by a car in lane. We all know of someone, maybe even ourselves, who has been rear ended in traffic. An occurrence of sideswiping is much. much lower. Speaking only for myself, I can think of no worse way to end up than sandwiched between the car stopped in front of you, and the car rolling up from behind.

Remember, the onus is on the rider to be safe. If you don't feel safe doing it, than don't.

But that's me, and I may be wrong.
Well said, and you are definitely not wrong.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »

Yes, well said Mark. I might add that like many other aspects of riding, or learning to ride, once one has done it enough times and understands the particulars, it becomes somewhat second nature. It's also much easier on a lighter bike with no side bags, a lot easier. At night, in the rain is when things really get interesting.
Several of us here in Ca. Have had the opportunity to split behind a CHPie motor, very exciting.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:36:27 PM by trapperdog »

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 01:43:03 AM »

It appears from these post that lane-splitting is not a common practice outside of CA and it is not legal in my state of Pennsylvania. If it was, it would definitely take some getting use to...not only as a rider but also as an operator of a four wheel vehicle.
All you Californians Stay Safe!!!

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »

A few months ago I was at my local indy and picked up this free sticker. Figured I'd share it .....
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »

As far as that video goes, that's not legal lane splitting; that's thrill seeking idiocy.  That fool is probably dead as we speak.

I was not comfortable the first few times I started splitting lanes in CA, but I am completely sold on it now (when done properly).  It makes a world of difference during commuting, and seems no more dangerous than riding on surface streets.  I'm not sure what the statistics are;  I've read conflicting reports and opinions.  I've been rear ended on the freeway here, and I've been nearly hit at intersections and by people pulling into the road without paying attention. 

There will always be fools who drive dangerously, particularly young males.  This is a fact of life that everyone has to accept and look out for.  Thank god I lived through that phase of my life! 

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »

Was riding in San Fran a few years ago, and following my bud off the free way in the city. Bumper to bumper, so he starts splitting lanes. So I follow. We are coming down a very high ramp  ( 100 to 150 feet up in the air close to Oakland Bay Bridge ) We are on the out side lane. The guard rail is only about 2 feet high on my left and cars on my right. I have maybe 3 feet or less to squeeze through on my Ultra. Man I was chitting. One wrong move and I would go right over that tiny guard rail. Ever glad to get back down. Over all lane splitting is cool as long as the cars know its happening and check the mirrors before doing some funky maneuvers. 
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.