Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: took bike to Dealership & they totalled it while on test ride  (Read 16999 times)

HarleyStud

took bike to Dealership & they totalled it while on test ride
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:33:54 AM »

Took my bike ('12 C.V.O. Ultra Classic) in for miss last tue to dealership and got a call wen from the service manager He said the mechanic took it on a test ride (@ 55mph) & was involved in an accident.  The oncoming car pulled in front of him. He was able to walk away but my bike is probably totalled the dealership is treating me right so far,  they gave me a loaner bike ('14 limited ultra) but I'm thinking I'll get screwed in the end. I've put fulsack exhaust on supertuner, dyno turned when new & 2 new tires & daymaker headlights put on by the same dealership two weeks ago. I don't like the new C.V.O. colors as that's why I decided to put $ in this one. My question I want my bike or one just like it with all the same options & color,  will I get over book value for the parts & labor to make a replacement bike the same as my old one???

mark

Re: took bike to Dealership & they totalled it while on test ride
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »

What would it take to make you happy?  You'll get the insurance settlement from the "at fault" driver, so what would you want the dealership to do in addition?  Great deal on a 2015?  Some sort of monetary settlement to make up the difference between what you had invested in the bike and the payout from the insurance company?  Others than these two, I can't come up with anything else.

BTW, I'd opt for a new bike.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »

Man that sucks!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:06 AM »

You need to look at the insurance laws in your state to know how to proceed.  If you are in a no-fault state, it could get dicey.  If you are in a traditional state, and the driver of the car has insurance (not a given around my area, with all the illegals on the road), you may be in need of an attorney to fight with that persons insurance company if you expect book retail or better.  Most insurance companies will try their best to lowball you.  And if the other party was definitely at fault and there is a police report stating that, you may have no recourse at all against the dealership.  After all, you took the bike to them to diagnose and fix a problem, and a test ride is part of that process.  If the tech wasn't negligent and was just a victim of another driver's illegal action, I'm not sure what you can legally expect of the dealership.

In other words, it isn't just a simple answer.  You need to protect your interests, and don't sign anything until you do all your homework.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »

What color was your 12 C.V.O. Ultra Classic

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »

I would first make sure you get a payoff of the old bike. Then calculate the difference between payoff and blue book. Make sure the surplus comes your way in the form of a down payment towards a new bike. Then either insist dealer provide same upgrades you had on old bike or a comparable amount in dollars either added to the down or in cash which could be perceived as more demanding. Beyond that may be perceived as greedy and make the entire settlement more difficult. Go for fair and what may be possible for ease and best results. Any wasted time and aggravation will not be worth it. Never trip over dollars to save pennies.
Just my $0.02

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »

That's terrible...  Hope it works out for you.  Glad the tech was okay..

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »

Damn...that sucks. Ditto, the good news the tech is ok. If it was me I would rather my bike involved in an accident be totaled instead of trying to have it repaired...you can start over with a clean canvas. Those new road glides are nice as is the rushmore revisions. You may be happier in the end.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »

No-Fault applies to med pay and threshold at which point you have additional rites, Nothing to do with Property Damage (Bike/Car/Truck). Common misconception.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »

Sorry to hear this, glad the tech walked away and hopefully doesnt have any further injury. If you really like that year/color maybe the dealer can find you a used one for a great price or look for one on your own. As mentioned you may like the Rushmore changes and enjoy riding a new bike?

Getting reimbursed for extras is always a crap shoot as to how much you'll get back. You did have work done that day and or recently and have a legitimite expectation for compensation for the work/parts, getting it may be another story. Are you friendly with your insurance rep? I would lean on them a bit to assit and guide you through this process if your comfortable with them.

Keep us posted.

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »

Ditto on using your insurance rep for input and expectations.  Of course that sits on how much you trust them versus an attorney.

Great that dealership gave you a new bike to ride in between.

Check out Chopperexchange.com to locate your model and year for a used bike.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »

depending on what happens with the dealer,  you may want to at least talk with a lawyer to see what your options may be….

HarleyStud

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »

Update;  got a call this morning from head G/manager asking if I'd be interested in "a smokin deal on a '14 limited? " my answer "no" once you own a C.V.O. it's hard to go backwards.  So I stopped in later this afternoon and talked in person he asked if a '14 C.V.O. would make me happy or a '15 C.V.O. ???  whatever it takes to keep me happy. I'm very pleased so far.....I'll keep ya posted on the outcome. ........

mark

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »

Update;  got a call this morning from head G/manager asking if I'd be interested in "a smokin deal on a '14 limited? " my answer "no" once you own a C.V.O. it's hard to go backwards.  So I stopped in later this afternoon and talked in person he asked if a '14 C.V.O. would make me happy or a '15 C.V.O. ???  whatever it takes to keep me happy. I'm very pleased so far.....I'll keep ya posted on the outcome. ........

Not sure if a 14 Rushmore Ultra Ltd is going backwards.  Just this week two riding buddies traded their CVO tourers (2009 CVO Ultra and a 2011 CVO RG) on 2015 SGs.  The '11 started having mechanical problems and both were concerned with the documented issues with the 110.  The buddy with the CVO RG probably had about 10-15k in upgrades.

King2013

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »

Not sure if a 14 Rushmore Ultra Ltd is going backwards.  Just this week two riding buddies traded their CVO tourers (2009 CVO Ultra and a 2011 CVO RG) on 2015 SGs.  The '11 started having mechanical problems and both were concerned with the documented issues with the 110.  The buddy with the CVO RG probably had about 10-15k in upgrades.

Just traded my 13 cvo road King in for a limited, worth ever bit of it.
I didn't care for the rattling valve train which started at only 150 miles and was even louder at 1200 miles when I traded it in or compensator replacement program. I was very concerned about warranty issues with all the things that I was told were considered normal. Warranty was set to expire in June this year.

I noticed a front end wobble a week after getting the limited, I took it in on a busy Saturday. When I asked the tech if he felt the wobble the tech said "yes I felt it and that's not right. I'll fix it right up sir." I was shocked and about crapped myself.
He then proceeded to fix it, and he did fix it. I guess that wasn't normal for the first time. Either way I'm a happy camper, I just wish I would've done it sooner. Now I have to wait an extremely long winter to get some miles on her.
Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 21 queries.