Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with Cruise Control Issue 2006 CVO Ultra  (Read 3266 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Need help with Cruise Control Issue 2006 CVO Ultra
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »

It stopped working today.

It worked last weekend when I rode from LA to San Francisco last weekend. The indicator turns from red to green when I try to engage it, but the bike won't hold speed.

Any ideas or suggestions where to start?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Need help with Cruise Control Issue 2006 CVO Ultra
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »

Just my own experience Mark so it's only worth that much.  Since the light is going from red to green you know the switch is working and it would suggest the cruise module is thinking it's working.  I've had the same thing happen on bikes twice over the years.  Once the stepper (cruise control) cable had simply come off the bellcrank on the throttle body.  Other time the cable had broke.  In my case it was right at the end where the little attachment-thingy connects to ribbon-like cable in the cruise module so I didn't find the break until taking the cable off the module.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »

Just my own experience Mark so it's only worth that much.  Since the light is going from red to green you know the switch is working and it would suggest the cruise module is thinking it's working.  I've had the same thing happen on bikes twice over the years.  Once the stepper (cruise control) cable had simply come off the bellcrank on the throttle body.  Other time the cable had broke.  In my case it was right at the end where the little attachment-thingy connects to ribbon-like cable in the cruise module so I didn't find the break until taking the cable off the module.

Two lane,

The cable is still attached to the Bell Crank on the side of the throttle body. I will assume there is no repair of the ribbon thingy cable that goes into the cruise control brain. Is that an easy change out? Do I need to pull off the seat and tank to change it out?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »

Does the light stay green?
If not check to make sure the brake light switch(s) particularly the front, is/are working properly. If either is stuck it could cause the system to think the brakes are being applied turning cruise back off immediately.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »

Two lane,

The cable is still attached to the Bell Crank on the side of the throttle body. I will assume there is no repair of the ribbon thingy cable that goes into the cruise control brain. Is that an easy change out? Do I need to pull off the seat and tank to change it out?

Mark

I've never heard of a breakage of the ribbon cable that is inside of the cruise module.  But have seen that one of my own on a prior Road King where the stepper cable's connection point to it broke.  The stepper cable is easy to change.  The connection at the bell crank is obvious.  Just be careful not to lose the E clip that holds the cable body itself just above the bellcrank.

At the cruise module end the plastic body of the stepper cable untwists (1/4 turn if I remember right, but it's been awhile) from the cruise module.  If you're careful about unhooking the stepper cable from the ribbon inside the cruise module you won't despool that inner part any and won't even have to go through the handlebar button procedure to reset the cable lash.

All that is assuming of course that the cable is the problem.  Since you see the green light (it stays on?) the cable would be my first thought.  But I'm wrong about chit a lot.  So who knows.... :drink:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »

Does the light stay green?
If not check to make sure the brake light switch(s) particularly the front, is/are working properly. If either is stuck it could cause the system to think the brakes are being applied turning cruise back off immediately.

Mike is correct check clutch side too.  Easier to check than digging in to the module.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:17:00 AM »

Mike is correct check clutch side too. 

No clutch interlock switch yet in 2006.  Wasn't added until 07.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »

My 2000 SERG had a similar Problem a few years ago and I found it was the speed sensor  :nixweiss: Just a thought.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »

You might wan to check out this thread . . . particularly near the end @ http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=64242.msg1221213#msg1221213

I had the same problem on my 03 SERK when I bought it with only 3700 miles on it . . . working red and green lights on the cruise, but the cruise would not engage . . . after getting good advice I here, discovered the problem . . . a new cruise cable solved it simply.   There is a small piece of foam in the cruise cavle connector leads (in in the middle where the cable runs under the middle of the gas tank on the right side) that has a tendency to break down over time.

The red and green lights still work on the cruise controls, but the cruise will not engage.

Another forum member reported in the thread a quick fix with an old piece of tire plug that I wish I would have first tried first.  But I kept my old cable to try his repair as a backup.

I am not sure whether the same kind of cavle was used on tourers in 06 as is on my 03.

Hope you solve the problem.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:02:21 AM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »

My 2000 SERG had a similar Problem a few years ago and I found it was the speed sensor  :nixweiss: Just a thought.

Marty

If the speedo sensor fails you also lose the speedometer and turn signal cancelling.  You lose cruise at the same time but not by itself with a failed speedo sensor.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »

Locate the wires that connect to the throttle cable just forward of the fuel tank on the right side of the frame.  There should be two wires that connect to the cable, disconnect them and then try the cruise to see if it will engage.  This is one more possibility, and it's not uncommon for the roll-off switch located in that cable to fail over time.  If that turns out to be the problem, you have two choices.  If you don't want to maintain the extra safety factor the roll-off switch provides, you could just tape off those electrical connectors and run the bike as is.  Or you could replace the throttle cable that contains the roll-off switch.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

Locate the wires that connect to the throttle cable just forward of the fuel tank on the right side of the frame.  There should be two wires that connect to the cable, disconnect them and then try the cruise to see if it will engage.  This is one more possibility, and it's not uncommon for the roll-off switch located in that cable to fail over time.  If that turns out to be the problem, you have two choices.  If you don't want to maintain the extra safety factor the roll-off switch provides, you could just tape off those electrical connectors and run the bike as is.  Or you could replace the throttle cable that contains the roll-off switch.

Jerry

Jerry, it's been quite awhile since I had to troubleshoot one of these.  If the roll off switch has failed the system won't trigger as active will it?  So the light wouldn't go from red to green and stay green?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »

Jerry, it's been quite awhile since I had to troubleshoot one of these.  If the roll off switch has failed the system won't trigger as active will it?  So the light wouldn't go from red to green and stay green?

That was my thought as well, but I have seen reports where people claimed the roll-off switch was the culprit even though the light stayed green.  So just in case, I thought I'd throw this out there.  At least it's a very simple thing to check.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »

That was my thought as well, but I have seen reports where people claimed the roll-off switch was the culprit even though the light stayed green.  So just in case, I thought I'd throw this out there.  At least it's a very simple thing to check.

Jerry

You're right in that possible and even improbable fixes that take the ten seconds it takes to unplug the switch and cost nothing in the attempt are always worth trying.  I had a Road King years ago that had a bad roll off switch.  Left it unplugged for many miles and never gave it a second thought.

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 22 queries.