Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bike won't start  (Read 3466 times)

NPatt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Bike won't start
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »

New to the forum and looking for help. 

I have a stock 2015 FLHXSE.  Due to the COVID nightmare that will not end, I garaged the bike for about 6 months.  I had a trickle charger hooked up, but last week, when I tried to fire up the bike, it wouldn't start.  I have a small jumper box that I used and she would crank, but not start.  I replaced the battery, but now when I turn on the power and hit the start switch, I hear the fuel pump, but nothing else - no clicks, nothing - just the fuel pump.  I thought maybe I had burned out the starter using my jumper box, so I replaced it (I also had to replace it for being an idiot - another story all together), but now I'm in the same boat. I looked all over the internet for a potential solution.  This appears to be electrical to me, but I'm out of ideas.  Anyone else experience a similar issue?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: Bike won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »

New to the forum and looking for help. 

I have a stock 2015 FLHXSE.  Due to the COVID nightmare that will not end, I garaged the bike for about 6 months.  I had a trickle charger hooked up, but last week, when I tried to fire up the bike, it wouldn't start.  I have a small jumper box that I used and she would crank, but not start.  I replaced the battery, but now when I turn on the power and hit the start switch, I hear the fuel pump, but nothing else - no clicks, nothing - just the fuel pump.  I thought maybe I had burned out the starter using my jumper box, so I replaced it (I also had to replace it for being an idiot - another story all together), but now I'm in the same boat. I looked all over the internet for a potential solution.  This appears to be electrical to me, but I'm out of ideas.  Anyone else experience a similar issue?

When you said "it wont start" would the engine crank over? or nothing happens when you press the start button? if it cranks over and wont start, you should check fuel pressure, or you may not have any spark, you should check that also, first thing I would recommend is read the fault codes, you can pull them up through your boom radio, a lot of posts here on how to check them, then google the fault code and see what issue it might be. Good luck
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Tony Smith

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »

Just a wild guess, but check your circuit breakers?
2019 FLHXSE Black Forest/Wineberry
2017 FLHXSE Black/Orange FOR SALE
2012 FLTRU Black SOLD
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver SOLD
2007 FXSTC Black Cherry/Pewter SOLD
1988 Suzuki Katana 750 SOLD
1994 Kawasaki KX250 SOLD
1974 Honda 500 (crashed and left in a ditch somewhere)

NPatt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »

I did check all fuses, like I mentioned, the bike doesn't even crank - I'll check the fault codes again, but when I checked them last week, I didn't have any.  This is such a strange issue, I'm just not sure where to go from here - the starter doesn't even engage, no click, no crank, just hear the fuel pump when I hit the start switch.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »

This is going to sound really silly, but check the "kill" switch.

I have a friend who was experiencing the same and he never, ever uses the kill switch, so didn't bother to check it.  Sure enough he must have accidentally hit, and once he flipped it to run all was good.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

NPatt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion - on my bike, the "kill" switch is the same as the power on switch (opposite end of the rocker), so when the bike is powered up, the kill switch is disengaged.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »

Just in case your neutral safety switch in your clutch lever is inop, make sure your tranny is in neutral with clutch out.  :nixweiss:

Do you have an anti theft system and is the FOB close to the bike with a good battery?
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

NPatt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »

The bike is in neutral - though I've tried to start it with the clutch pulled in, kickstand up/down (no switch on my bike, but tried anyway) and I have a new battery in my FOB near the bike.  I did have a new fault code for the BCM: b2121.  I cleared it, but it returned.  I guess I need to research that code to see what is causing the issue.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »

If you're bike was older it'd sound like you had a bad starter relay.  By your vintage the relay doesn't exist anymore and is incorporated in to the BCM. 

Just to be sure it's not something painfully obvious and missed make sure the green wire is plugged in to the solenoid well.  Use a test light to see if the green wire is hot when you push the starter button.  If the wire is hot when you push the starter button you've got a bad starter, no ground, or the big battery cable itself isn't connected to the starter.  Make sure those things, no matter how obvious, are ok.  When you changed the started are you sure the ground cable got reattached (both ends)?

If none of that is your problem and given everything else you've described doing I'd then be concerned about the BCM itself.  You can kill a BCM.  You wrote earlier suggesting something unfortunate and kinda dumb might have ruined the starter?  If so might have killed the BCM at the same time.

With everything on and all switches in normal position for the bike to run to jumping the starter itself.  If it then spins over and starts I'd be even more concerned the BCM is toast.  Either that or a harness problem.  Of the two I'd rather deal with a BCM.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »

Maybe this will help.

2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 05:22:44 AM »

wiggle the forklock/key switch as you try to start it makeing sure its in the right spot

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »

check fob battery

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »

As I understand the issue starter will not turn the engine over, no clicks grinds or no action whatsoever? All of the above is good information.

Always be sure all of the basics are good, battery voltage, check starter switch operation having power at starter (none) ck sw with ohm meter for continuity, test starter to verify it turns the motor by putting power on small wire connection on starter solenoid-plastic connector (be positive bike is neutral!) if starter works go upstream continue looking for the problem.

In car business 35 years and saw many new parts electrical and more that are bad especially, if it is a re-manufactured one. 

Looks to be the same gear reduction starters  "Denso" brand that comes on many Japanese cars ( Honda, Toyota etc.), if power at small wire (solenoid) and no starter action likely contacts inside. Starter has serviceable copper contacts inside the cover with 3 small bolts this connects & sends power from solenoid to starter motor. Hope this helps and not confusing by too much info. good luck with the repairs.

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »

As Mentioned.... Fork Lock.  CVO's will not engage starter with Fork Lock in the locked position.  Lights will illuminate, Fuel Pump Starts, etc...   Although you should see in the odometer display stating "Fork Lock"
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

NPatt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »

So I finally got around to getting the bike to the dealership and after some time, they discovered that the ECM was the cause.  I couldn't figure out what the problem was after all the trial and error in diagnosing the problem.  A couple hundred bucks and I'll be back on the road soon.  Thank you to everyone that made recommendations and suggestions and stay safe!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 25 queries.