Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First 1000 mile service????  (Read 1158 times)

105annivdyna

First 1000 mile service????
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »

Does anyone know what is covered in the first 1000 mile service??
How extensive is the process?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: First 1000 mile service????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »

What they DO is different from what they're supposed to do.  Change fluids, check/tq all critical fasteners, belt tension/condition, grease the neck bearings, and a few other things, but that's the main parts.

What they actually do is change the fluids and make sure nothing is about to fall off the bike....at least while it's there at the shop.

But I'm cynical, so maybe your dealer will actually do everything they're supposed to. :2vrolijk_21:

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »

My experience they usually manage to scratch something in the process.  Soooo if you are like me, you make the service manager sign off on the fact the bike has no scratches, dents prior to them working on it.  Actually I lied, I just do the service myself now and save myself the headache. 
And they love to fill the steering head so over full with grease that you will spend the next two years cleaning your left fork as this is where the grease tends to melt and run down.

Sorry I got a little of topic.  Too much caffeine.

Good Luck!  You may want to ask what their policy is if they scratch something.  Some just have it fixed at the local paint shop others replace with factory replacement parts.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »

Go to this web page and type in your VIN and 1000 miles.  You will get a listing of the service required, and any recalls if there are any.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

I'm not sure about the new owner manuals, but earlier models had the service requirements listed in the manual.  You may also want to consider buying the service (shop) manual for your year and model.  Once you have the manual, the next step is to do your own service.  You will save money, learn many things about your new bike, and be able to sleep easy knowing everything on the list was actually done.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:45:40 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »

Go to this web page and type in your VIN and 1000 miles.  You will get a listing of the service required, and any recalls if there are any.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

I'm not sure about the new owner manuals, but earlier models had the service requirements listed in the manual.  You may also want to consider buying the service (shop) manual for your year and model.  Once you have the manual, the next step is to do your own service.  You will save money, learn many things about your new bike, and be able to sleep easy knowing everything on the list was actually done.Jerry

Jerry

It is listed in the new manuals as well.  Jerry is right, if you can read, you can do this yourself.  Buy a torque wrench some allen head sockets and take pride in knowing it is done correctly.
Keep receipts and document your work in the manual.
If you have any doubt in how to do something ask your questions here.  Lots of shade tree and expert help available right here. 
That being said, I know there are some people who end up with a flat when they try and check tire pressure.
I know people who work for NASA but cant remove a phillips screw without destroying the screw and the screwdriver.
If this applies take it to the dealer.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »

Nobody is going to take care of your bike the way you will,this is basically an inspection, you dont have to do everything at once make a check list and work your way through it, Your basically paying $400.00 or so for a sloppily done oil change.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 11:22:53 PM »

Nobody is going to take care of your bike the way you will,this is basically an inspection, you dont have to do everything at once make a check list and work your way through it, Your basically paying $400.00 or so for a sloppily done oil change.

That is so true. My dealer is even trying to tell me I require more service checks then are listed in the owners manual. They say I need to come in every 4000KM (2400 MI) for the warranty to be valid.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 11:29:38 PM »

bribe36,

They are full of crap, you can do the service yourself, save all of your receipts and/or if you find a good independent in Edmonton he also can do the service, again save the receipts. As long as you follow the the prescribed mileage services the dealer can not disallow warranty.

Also some independents can also perform the HD Warranties and extended Warranties, check with the Extended Warranty provider for indies who may be in the Edmonton area, who are approved to perform the work.

geezerglide

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 21 queries.