CVO Social > Other Topics

What would you do?

<< < (3/3)

mark:
A tip is supposed to be for exceptional service, above and beyond what’s expected.  Pre-tipping before the work is done is a bad practice (IMO) because you may be tipping for poor service, as described by the OP.  On a personal note, I’m not tipping a HD dealer - they make enough off of bike sales, parts, labor, clothing, etc.  Traditionally, this isn’t a service where a tip is customary. 

Out of curiosity, when buying a $45k motorcycle would you feel compelled to tip the sales staff?  Not me.

r0de_runr:

--- Quote from: Sinker on January 21, 2020, 08:22:28 PM ---Is it a common practice to tip the service department at dealers? I have never done so and can't imagine that is a common practice.

--- End quote ---

So far I have only needed ESP work done at the dealer, I always tip my mechanic and always ask (demand) the same guy do the work.  He is always very tuned in to my needs and wants and I have never felt I wasted the tip.  He never once said "they all do that" or "I cannot reproduce the problem".  I tell him my concern, new parts are installed.

iski:
Don't tip every time I get service - I do occasionally.  Dealer has picked up my bike when needed with their bike hauler & sometimes goes above & beyond the usual when doing service.  That's when I tip.  The porter does an excellent job washing the bike (that was not always the case) & I have tipped for that.

I view tipping as something given for something extra.  Whatever that "extra' is can be subjective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version