Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boot Scuffs on Leather  (Read 3858 times)

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
Boot Scuffs on Leather
« on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »

I have a couple of scuffs from my boots on my seat.  They seem to be pretty light, but rubbing on them with leather conditioner and/or cleaner doesn't make any difference on them (I didn't really expect it too but tried it anyway).  Any way to get them out, like some type of light abrasive?  I'm pretty good with the paint on a bike or car, but I don't know much about leather care.  Thanks.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
Re: Boot Scuffs on Leather
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »

I am a leatherworker by hobby.  In most cases if youve scuffed the leather to the point that it has actually scratched the surface, you cant really get it out.  You can sometimes re-dye the spot with the same color leather dye, but you in most cases I wouldnt recommend that unless you actually know what youre doing.  And if you used leather conditioner on the spot, you'll play hell getting the dye to penetrate unless you use oil based dye.  Then you would have to buff the dye once it is fully dry.  Afterwhich you would apply a leather finish.  But again I stress, unless you actually know what youre doing, I wouldnt attempt it.  I would condition and just chalk it up as character.
Thanks
Glen

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »

If it's leather and not vinyl that most mfg. seats come with.....well leather is an imperfect product to begin with and no two will look exactly the same.

Leather will have all kinds of imperfections, barbed wire scars, horns and hoof marks, etc.  If it's real leather....well, just chalk it up to character.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »

I think that it is real leather on the Hammock seats that come on the CVOs, but I'm not sure.  Thank you both for your advice.  I appreciate it.

DavidG_TKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSEANV #631
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon/Slate (Traded)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »

This is from Mustang's website support section, might be worth a shot.

Cuts, Scratches or Scuff Marks

As with any upholstered product (such as couches, chairs or car seats), there is a possibility of cutting or tearing the cover material. Please contact Mustang directly and one of our seats experts will provide you with the best possible advice about your particular situation. (Most local upholstery shops do a very good job of repairing vinyl.)

If your seat has been scratched or scuffed, try gently applying a small dab of black paste shoe polish on the affected area. Allow it to dry completely, then buff out with a clean soft cloth. If you have any questions, please contact Mustang and speak to one of our seat experts.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »

I compare it to buying a new car... the first scratch(scuff) is the hard one. The rest won't bother you at all. I think it gives the boots character.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:38:58 PM »

I compare it to buying a new car... the first scratch(scuff) is the hard one. The rest won't bother you at all. I think it gives the boots character.

:2vrolijk_21: This!! LOL..
Broke my heart when I backed into my bike lift one day and chipped the paint off the fender!!  But now its like.. oh well.. Kinda..LOL
Glen

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »

:-\

Over the years,  many have used this product to help with situations such as yours............

Give it a try.................https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/pid_01.htm

BCKNBLK

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »

I tried the leather scuff remover from kiwi that you use for dress shoes.  It's for any color of leather.  It took some rubbing but 90% of it eventually came out and you can't even tell.  You can get it at Walmart or Target where they sell shoes.  It worked well on my dress shoes for work so I figured I would try it on my 11 CVO seat and it worked pretty well. 
Bruce
2011 CVO FLHXSE2
112.89HP/105.20TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »

I think that it is real leather on the Hammock seats that come on the CVOs, but I'm not sure.  Thank you both for your advice.  I appreciate it.

The only part of the CVO seats that is leather is the actual insert you sit directly on.  The rest of the seat is made from the skins of the illusive nauga.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »

:-\

Over the years,  many have used this product to help with situations such as yours............

Give it a try.................https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/pid_01.htm

Make sure it soaks in and you buff it with a rag after it dries.  I did a passenger backrest once with it and only wiped it on and after it dries lightly ran a rag over it.  Seemed good to me and it sure looked good.  The following Sunday my wife went with me to meet a group heading to the North West Corner of Alabama for a ride.  When we met up and she got off the bike her white top had the most beautiful imprint of the Corbin backrest you have ever seen.  I had to take here to buy a new top before we could go on the ride and a black towel to use between her and the backrest.   :'(
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.