Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another (stupid?) Glare Question  (Read 2338 times)

JohnnyRock

• Full CVO Member
Another (stupid?) Glare Question
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »

Starting this new Glare thread even though there are a few recent similar ones on here...

My questions are:

1./ What is clay or claying or a clay bar that I read about on here. What is the process for using it? Should a guy stick with the Glare "clay" product to keep the chemicals the same (as I read about somewhere on here)?

2./ What is the working temperature range that you can apply the Glare products?

I'm just now gonna open the box and check out what's inside, so I apologize in advance if the answers are there...

Thanks.
FLHXSE/2
SERT
V&H Dresser Duals
CFR Slip-ons

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Another (stupid?) Glare Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »

Starting this new Glare thread even though there are a few recent similar ones on here...

My questions are:

1./ What is clay or claying or a clay bar that I read about on here. What is the process for using it? Should a guy stick with the Glare "clay" product to keep the chemicals the same (as I read about somewhere on here)?

2./ What is the working temperature range that you can apply the Glare products?

I'm just now gonna open the box and check out what's inside, so I apologize in advance if the answers are there...

Thanks.
On a new bike like yours, you prolly only need to use the polish...just follow the insturctions on the bottle to the letter & you'll be a happy cvo owner.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

Claying removes surface impurities before polishing, but like Spyd said, on a new bike, you probably don't need to do that.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JohnnyRock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've washed this thing back to back within a few days--bugs and dust were pretty bad so I wanted to clean it good and then again in case I missed anything before I put the Glare on.

It looks like there is a lot of bug residue left on the faring. Should I just wash it again and scrub harder, or is this something a guy would use the claying product on?

What does the temperature need to be to put the Glare on? We're still kinda waiting for it to warm up to normal temps here in Minnesota.

And, is Dawn detergent really safe for all the surfaces on the bike?

Spyd--you're saying since the bike is newer I only need the polish. From what I've read here then--when I get a few layers of it on--it seems like I'd never need to use any of the other products. Make sense?

Thanks.
FLHXSE/2
SERT
V&H Dresser Duals
CFR Slip-ons

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »

Dawn, to my knowledge, won't hurt a thing on any part of the bike.  Just rinse well before it dries.  If you have serious bug guts still left on the fairing, you might try putting some old wet bath towels on the areas with the guts to soften them before washing...that'll usually do the trick.

You're certainly not goint to hurt anything by using something like the Glare Spyder before using the polish...it will help in removing any fine scratches or residue on the bike.  And, regardless of using the Glare, you will get swirl marks/light scratches in the clear coat over time that will have to be removed with the other Glare products, like Spyder, or the Micro Finish.

Did you get one of their "kits" with two or more products in it?  It's all good stuff... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

JohnnyRock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »

Dawn, to my knowledge, won't hurt a thing on any part of the bike.  Just rinse well before it dries.  If you have serious bug guts still left on the fairing, you might try putting some old wet bath towels on the areas with the guts to soften them before washing...that'll usually do the trick.

You're certainly not goint to hurt anything by using something like the Glare Spyder before using the polish...it will help in removing any fine scratches or residue on the bike.  And, regardless of using the Glare, you will get swirl marks/light scratches in the clear coat over time that will have to be removed with the other Glare products, like Spyder, or the Micro Finish.

Did you get one of their "kits" with two or more products in it?  It's all good stuff... :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually did drape some wet towels over the fairing for about 20 minutes before I started washing it the first time... Maybe I'm just too hesitant to scrub hard enough.

I got a kit with Knockout, Spyder, Micro, and Pro Polish. Looking forward to see if it lives up to the hype.

Thanks again.
FLHXSE/2
SERT
V&H Dresser Duals
CFR Slip-ons

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually did drape some wet towels over the fairing for about 20 minutes before I started washing it the first time... Maybe I'm just too hesitant to scrub hard enough.

I got a kit with Knockout, Spyder, Micro, and Pro Polish. Looking forward to see if it lives up to the hype.

Thanks again.

You've got all the stuff you'll ever need to care for the bike...a little goes a long way with the Glare products, from my experience.  Bug guts can be a bitch to get off....if all else fails, the Glare will help get them off when you apply.

It's not hype...the chit really does do the best job of any product I've ever used, and I've tried a shelf full of other stuff before discovering Glare.  Used to own a 19' Black Bass Cat...wish I had known about Glare back then.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »

Hey JohnnyRock, I know exactly what you mean about the bugs....once after I washed the black & blue bike and was sure it was clean as a whistle, I pulled it inside to begin to put a fresh coat of Glare on it and pull the floor light up to the front of the fairing, cut it up on 'high' and DAMN it was covered with nasty bug residue all over.  Couldn't see or feel it  outside while washing and hand drying it.  I just ended up polishing them out to finally get a clean smooth surface.  I was blameing that on my failing eyesight, but it appears that you've experienced the same thing.  The hard hand-rubbing in small areas with the Glare polish will eliminate anything that's left while it bonds with the paint to form the really deep shine.  You're gonna luv it!!! :-* Gonna make that orange beauty look good enough to 'eat'.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JohnnyRock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »

Thanks for the help guys....
FLHXSE/2
SERT
V&H Dresser Duals
CFR Slip-ons

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »

Just my $0.02 ... I've never used Dawn on anything prior to using Glare, with no ill effects that I'm aware of. :nixweiss:  Do the Glare instructions say to do that somewhere?  I'd be very hesitant to use anything that's not an automotive or motorcycle-type washing detergent, but that's just me.  Also, I've never noticed temperatures having any effect one way or the other, but you do need to let the product dry completely.  I'll normally let it on there an hour, just to be sure.

As far as all the products you bought, start with the least aggressive (the Pro Polish) and see what results you get, first, then go to the next aggressive (Spider) only if you're not happy.  I'd be very, very surprised ..... no, shocked and dumbfounded, actually ... if you find you need anything more than Spider on a 2011.

I agree with Sypder, the polish should take out any leftover bug remanents on the paint as you're applying it.  But, be very careful about not getting the Pro Polish on any rubber or plasic parts.  Chances are pretty good you will not get if off if you do.  The secret to a good detailing is making it look like it's never really been touched/waxed before.

JohnnyRock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »

Pro Polish didn't get all the bug guts off. Gonna try the next one...
FLHXSE/2
SERT
V&H Dresser Duals
CFR Slip-ons

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.