Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Glare Question  (Read 2069 times)

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
Another Glare Question
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »

My 2000 SERG O/W/B has nice paint, and has always been treated to Mothers 3 step process since new. The question is, Glare is it a machine only application or is hand application ok? I am planing on giving the Glare product line a try after reading about it's virtues on here for years. I am sure I will start with a prep coat of the spider product followed by a coat of the Glare polish. Am I wasting my time by not using a foam pad buffer? or will I get good results from hand application?
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Another Glare Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »

Hey Screem, I've never used anything but the hand application and have been very satisfied with the results.  You may only need to use the regular polish (according to the application instructions) since your paint sounds to be in great shape.  Remember it's a polish, not a wax so you don't get the wax build-up hence it's hard to mess it up.  har. spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »

I don't think there is enough surface area accessible to a buffer on a bike to make it worthwhile. A car, truck or boat is a different story but I put mine on by hand on the bike and it looks great.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »

I don't think there is enough surface area accessible to a buffer on a bike to make it worthwhile. A car, truck or boat is a different story but I put mine on by hand on the bike and it looks great.
agree.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »

Several on the site use this.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/professional+3+inch+random+orbital.do

Hint (from 103Thunder):  Apply very small amounts of polish!  Makes a hell of a mess if you don't!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »

X2!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »

I used to think that too, but after using the 3" orbital (right angle) from Griot's Garage with the foam pads, I had my mind changed.  On my RG, I could get to probably 75% of the painted areas and at least 50% of the chrome parts with the machine.  I got the little 3" hand applicator as well, so you just pull the foam pad off the velcro and stick it on the hand applicator to get to those areas where the machine won't go, then slap it back on the machine and continue.  If you "butter" the foam pad with the Glare (I just put some on there and spread it around on the pad with my finger), then put the pad on the surface of the paint BEFORE you turn it on, there is no problem, and turn it off BEFORE picking the pad up off the surface.  The variable speeds make it really nice.  Of course, when I'm doing this to the bike, I've got the seat off, the bags off, and the side covers off.  I've even got a foam ball thing on a 12" shaft that you can put in a drill motor to do the wheels...makes applying the product to the wheels a lot faster.  Getting it off is still a PITA though.

But, I'm kinda a gaget head...putting it on by hand works too.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »

I used to think that too, but after using the 3" orbital (right angle) from Griot's Garage with the foam pads, I had my mind changed.  On my RG, I could get to probably 75% of the painted areas and at least 50% of the chrome parts with the machine.  I got the little 3" hand applicator as well, so you just pull the foam pad off the velcro and stick it on the hand applicator to get to those areas where the machine won't go, then slap it back on the machine and continue.  If you "butter" the foam pad with the Glare (I just put some on there and spread it around on the pad with my finger), then put the pad on the surface of the paint BEFORE you turn it on, there is no problem, and turn it off BEFORE picking the pad up off the surface.  The variable speeds make it really nice.  Of course, when I'm doing this to the bike, I've got the seat off, the bags off, and the side covers off.  I've even got a foam ball thing on a 12" shaft that you can put in a drill motor to do the wheels...makes applying the product to the wheels a lot faster.  Getting it off is still a PITA though.

But, I'm kinda a gaget head...putting it on by hand works too.

I have never seen a 3" RO Buffer, that's a game changer - especially with the 90 degree head. Guess I'll be spending some more money soon...

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »

Several on the site use this.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/professional+3+inch+random+orbital.do

Hint (from 103Thunder):  Apply very small amounts of polish! Makes a hell of a mess if you don't!

Yep... learned my lesson last Sunday.  Won't do that again  :'(   I'll be cleaning little white dots for years to come  ???

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.