Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Nitrogen in tires, any benefit  (Read 8964 times)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Nitrogen in tires, any benefit
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:54:22 AM »

I've noticed several of the dealers offering nitrogen for motorcycle tires lately. I know it has some benefit in the high performance arena where tire temps go a lot higher than most of us ever experience but wonder if there is some benefit to it for us low speed guys. Any of you running nitrogen in your tires? Noticed any difference?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Nitrogen in tires, any benefit
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »

I've noticed several of the dealers offering nitrogen for motorcycle tires lately. I know it has some benefit in the high performance arena where tire temps go a lot higher than most of us ever experience but wonder if there is some benefit to it for us low speed guys. Any of you running nitrogen in your tires? Noticed any difference?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40886.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=23229.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=37259.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=5501.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=37259.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9356.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10744.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  I can't believe you took the time to search out all those threads, but I'm glad you did, 'cause it was funny. ;D

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  I can't believe you took the time to search out all those threads, but I'm glad you did, 'cause it was funny. ;D

:2vrolijk_21:  
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »

And that was just the first page of results......

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

Is that what the little search box is for? Always wondered...Thanks though, saved me the trouble.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »

IMHO: It mostly benefits the dealer's bottom line.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

Air is 78 percent nitrogen, just under 21 percent oxygen, and the rest is water vapor, CO2 and small concentrations of noble gases such as neon and argon.

There are several reasons to use pure nitrogen in tires again it's up to you, basically reduction in pressure changes and reduction in internal moisture are the main benefactors.

Nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings. That means more consistent inflation pressures during a race as the tires heat up. And when you're tweaking a race car's handling with half-psi changes, that's important.

Passenger cars can also benefit from the more stable pressures. But there's more: Humidity (water) is a Bad Thing to have inside a tire. Water, present as a vapor or even as a liquid in a tire, causes more of a pressure change with temperature swings than dry air does. It also promotes corrosion of the steel or aluminum rim.

With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »

Helium, dammit.  Helium in tires.  All this crap about nitrogen & nary a word about helium.  Might need to tether the bike to keep it from floating away, but other than that....HELIUM!
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »

Simple answer, NO.

Tests by folks like Consumer Reports indicated that even the highly hyped claim of much lower pressure losses over time due to the larger molecule size was mostly bogus, with approximately a one psi difference measured over an entire year in a simple test they performed.

As for the temperature versus pressure thing, IF you could actually manage to get 100% nitrogen in the tire and 0% water vapor, yes the change would be more easily predictable.  As noted above, that might be important to guys trying to fine tune the handling of a race car by adjusting air pressure in .25 or .50 psi increments.  For regular folks on the street, it has absolutely no advantage.

As much as I like the helium idea (I think I was the first to offer up that suggestion on this site btw), I have now determined that propane is a better idea.  Single purpose products are giving way to those that can perform more than one function.  If you use propane in your tires, you can hook your Harley up to the Weber and cook some burgers.  Try that with nitrogen!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »

All y'all got it wrong. The best thing to put in bike tires is calium carbonate saturated water like the old farmers in the north still do. The added weight down low  will lower the center of gravity and when spinning will greatly increase the the gyroscopic force of the wheels thus lowering the risk of high speed wobble. Calcium carbonate forms a buffer solution which would inhibit corrosion. And lastly, leaks would be spotted immediately. WIN!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »

never use di-hydrogen oxide,

didnt Rokon 2wd trail bikes use water?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »

Geez...I thought I was done buying tools.  Now I've got to get a vaccum pump like they use to evacuate refrigerant systems to remove all the moisture from my tires.

Personally, I like the Propane idea...not only could you fire up the Weber with it, but burnouts would take on a whole new meaning...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

Hydrogen worked very well in dirigibles for years, but they stopped using it after some big blow up.  A mix of hydrogen & oxygen, 1 part O, 2 parts H seems to be the right ratio.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »

Hydrogen worked very well in dirigibles for years, but they stopped using it after some big blow up.  A mix of hydrogen & oxygen, 1 part O, 2 parts H seems to be the right ratio.

Yeah, that didn't work out too well in this case:

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.