Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Garage door receiver, Genie Intelicode garage door opener issue?  (Read 3002 times)

dkamerer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Harley-Davidson Garage door receiver, Genie Intelicode garage door opener will not work.
I have used this at two other residence with out issue for the past 3 years. At new place with a Genie door opener it wont work? I've read about Chamberlin having issues but not Genie.

The bike and receiver seemingly work as they have. In other words.. when I cycle the high beams on off,
the H-D receiver makes the "click" sound at the H-D receiver but it does not trigger the garage door to open or close.

The Genie Intelicode unit is model is550/a (1/2 hp).
It has 4 terminals number 1. 2. 3. 4. I spoke with Genie customer service and they agreed that the 1. and 2. terminals are the ones to use as the are tied to the wall mounted, push button opener/switch. Terminals 3. 4. are for the safety eye at the foot of the door. I have tried the polarity for terminals 1. and 2. both ways and even tried the 3. and 4. terminals.

I also tried wiring the H-D receiver unit to the wall mounted push button opener/switch so that is farther away
in case there was interference.

I don't really know what else to do?

Help?

Doug Kamerer
614-446-9725
doug.kamerer@gmail.com
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:33:42 AM by dkamerer »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

Mine gets out of wack when I have a power outage and my generator comes on. To get it to work I have to unplug for about a minute.
Bill

dkamerer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

I wish it were that simple. Thank you for taking a minute to reply. Tried it anyway and no luck. It's a new/different Genie garage door opener that is the new variable in this equation...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:22:51 PM by dkamerer »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

On my other garage I had to get other remotes because I could not program my 2017 F-250. When I called the opener company they already knew about it and sent new remotes for free.
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

The Harley set can't trigger many of the newer garage door openers.  I moved a few months ago and the new house had a new Chamberlain unit installed that the Harley opener couldn't easily be made to work with directly.

There are some hacks to make the units work.  Found what was, to me, an easier solution though.  Relatively inexpensive at that.

The unit I got worked flawlessly.  A small side benefit was that I was able to mount both the Harley unit and this new wireless transmitter on the wall closest to the street so I gained a bit of range as well.  The units no longer have to be mounted right at the GDO.  Good luck getting it sorted.

Link below is what I got for the Chamberlain.  Perhaps worth a shot reaching out to them to see if they can do something similar for your Genie.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272053928969
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:43:10 PM by Twolanerider »

dkamerer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

So you have a Genie garage door opener?

And the eBay part worked by just connecting it to the system?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

So you have a Genie garage door opener?

And the eBay part worked by just connecting it to the system?

No, I'm sorry for any confusion.  Mine was a new model Chamberlain.  Link I provided was to something that worked for me.  Might be worth reaching out to that seller to see if he's got a comparable product for newer model Genie units. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Important question.  Are you using a simple wall button, or are you using the wall console that includes other functions such as independent light control, vacation lock, and led status lights?  Connecting the wires from your Harley receiver to the #1 and #2 terminals on the power head should work as long as you only have the simple wall button.  If you have the multi-function wall console, you will need to do a simple modification.  Open the wall console so you can gain full access to the circuit board, then locate the pins for the actual switch operated by the open/close push button.  Solder the ends of the Harley receiver wires to the two pins for that switch.  This is the same modification that can be used on the Chamberlain models with the smart wall module.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

I just got a new Chamberlin opener and had similar problem's. I took an extra remote that came with the opener, and opened it up so I could see the switch in it. I soldered across the switch with the contact wires that come out of the HD opener. Walla! When I flip my light on the bike, it sends the signal to the HD opener and that closes a relay that activates the switch on the Chamberlin remote thus the door goes up/down. 10 minute job and not enuf time to have a beer.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I just got a new Chamberlin opener and had similar problem's. I took an extra remote that came with the opener, and opened it up so I could see the switch in it. I soldered across the switch with the contact wires that come out of the HD opener. Walla! When I flip my light on the bike, it sends the signal to the HD opener and that closes a relay that activates the switch on the Chamberlin remote thus the door goes up/down. 10 minute job and not enuf time to have a beer.

If you find later that you want to use that remote for another vehicle, you can repeat your solder job at the wall console and get the same results.  OR, for people who don't care about using the high beam switch to operate the opener, you can install that remote on the bike and wire in a simple SPST push button momentary switch you can install anywhere you want.  That last one is the route I took, totally eliminating the Harley receiver from the equation.  I find it works better and at a longer range than the Harley system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)

I've been using one of these for years.

www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Residential-Garage-Doors-Openers-Accessories-Garage-Door-Opener-Remotes-Keypads/Mini-Clicker/N-5yc1vZas0hZ1z0v983

While you're at the hardware store pick up something like this for your belt loop. Problem solved! Cheap, easy and works every time for up to 3 doors or gates!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HY-KO-Split-Ring-Heavy-Duty-Trigger-Snap-Key-Ring-KC179/100145536
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:16:58 PM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

easyryder01

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE

I had the same problem with a newer rolling code type garage door opener. Mine although labeled as a craftsman opener it is manufactured by Chaimberlain. There is the company which manufactures the garage door openers for harley that modify and add something to the inside as an more expensive option or they have an external less expensive feature which fixes this. I sent out the module that plugs into the outlet and connects to the opener and had it modified by them and have had no problems since then. Only problem is I just replaced my other garage door opener and it too has a rolling code. I'm trying to find the company whom I sent it out to in order to have my other reciever modified by them again. If anyone can find that company we will all be in business.

easyryder01

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE

The company you need to look for is
https://www.creativeaccesssolutions.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

This is who I used to mod my HD reciever. They have 2 options one external and the other internal in which you have to send your receiver out to them and they mod it. Looks bome stock when you get it back. No problems any more with the newer garage door openers.

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2

Correct -- all newer openers will give you issues.  Thanks to easyryder01 for the link.  I am Creative Access Solutions, and while we don't offer a direct module for the Genie openers (there's not enough of an installed base to make it worthwhile to develop a dedicated module), we have in the past modified customer supplied visor remotes with a pigtail that will plug directly into your H-D receiver.  You can use the contact link that easyryder01 posted just above and we can get you situated.

As far as Chamberlain, LiftMaster and several others (manufactured by Chamberlain and rebranded), we do offer direct plug-n-play modules (both wired and wireless) that will plug directly into your H-D receiver and control your newer opener.  Unfortunately, we no longer offer the internal modification service, as we've had to focus more on ramping up production to meet an increasing demand.  I still hand-build each and every one of these modules.  Let me know if I can be of any service to you!

And, don't forget to use coupon code CVOHARLEY for 10% off any purchase!

Glenncarp

Harley-Davidson Garage door receiver, Genie Intelicode garage door opener will not work.
I have used this at two other residence with out issue for the past 3 years. At new place with a Genie door opener it wont work? I've read about Chamberlin having issues but not Genie.

The bike and receiver seemingly work as they have. In other words.. when I cycle the high beams on off,
the H-D receiver makes the "click" sound at the H-D receiver but it does not trigger the garage door to open or close.

The Genie Intelicode unit is model is550/a (1/2 hp).
It has 4 terminals number 1. 2. 3. 4. I spoke with Genie customer service and they agreed that the 1. and 2. terminals are the ones to use as the are tied to the wall mounted, push button opener/switch. Terminals 3. 4. are for the safety eye at the foot of the door. I have tried the polarity for terminals 1. and 2. both ways and even tried the 3. and 4. terminals.

I also tried wiring the H-D receiver unit to the wall mounted push button opener/switch so that is farther away
in case there was interference.

I don't really know what else to do?

Help?

Doug Kamerer
614-446-9725
doug.kamerer@gmail.com

I sent a remote to Creative Access Solutions. He added a circuit to work with my new Ryobi seamlessly, flipped high beams on/off door opened/closed. He charged me like $14 to rewire remote, not charging enough!

Bought a non-CVO last year and decided NOT to pay HD $145 for a switch and their outdated technology for garage door opener. The ENTIRE garage door opening world can work with a $1o remote, HD makes it rocket science for unknown ($$$$$) reasons.

Added 3M double sided tape to remote, stuck it to side of RG glove box, looks like it was made to be there, for $4.99, bypassed HD garage door opener "technology"

You may want to do same and save some heartache.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:14:52 AM by Glenncarp »

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 24 queries.