Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Helmet Life?  (Read 3134 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Helmet Life?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »

Whoa, hold on there guys. Taking the cop-out excuse of it's only your head doesn't add anything to the discussion. Nobody said to purposely extend the life of a helmet needlessly and knowingly past the point of safe usage?

The question was, WHAT exactly degrades, how, and how does mixed, or very limited usage effect the safe life of the helmet.  Saying to buy a new helmet every couple of years, when you wear it twice a year, does nothing to answer the question.  You cannot tell me a 5 year old helmet that is used every day offers the same protection as one that's been used once or twice a year over the same span.

The point is, 5 years might even be too long in some cases, so the question again is, WHAT exactly degrades, and WHAT can you do to inspect the helmet to detemine it's condition, and perhaps even maintain it to enhance it's life?  I don't think there is anything whatsoever wrong with informing yourself on the matter. And further, looking for a little scientific backup on the matter?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »

Mrmagloo...There's really no way to answer your question fully.  There are simply too many variables involved.  Certainly, if you wore a helmet a few times a year, kept it stored in a dry, temperature regulated environment, never sweated inside the helmet, etc...it would likely last longer than 5 years.  Snell recommends every 5 years...that's a statistical "average" based on their testing methodology.  If you wear a helmet almost every day, they recommend replacement every 3 years.  This is the quote from the Snell Foundation:

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

And this is from the Webikeworld site:

It's difficult to know exactly when a helmet should be replaced and there are varying opinions on this topic. Some helmet manufacturers (e.g., Shoei) provide a free inspection service where you can send the helmet to their representatives for a free inspection.

Rule of thumb is generally around a 5 year max life expectancy, but this can depend on usage, wear or helmet quality. Also, helmet technology, styling and comfort features change fairly regularly over time, so 5 years would be about max for me anyway and at that point, I'd consider buying a new helmet.

For example, my Arai Quantum II was my regular "go to" helmet but after 4 years it started to look a bit seedy and the liner felt like it was becoming compressed, so I replaced it even though it had never been dropped or damaged.

If the helmet has been dropped or if it is damaged from chips, cracks, etc. on the outside, then it may need replacement. But the most important part is the liner and especially the EPS. The EPS balls deflate on impact, essentially giving up their life to dissipate energy. If the EPS is at all damaged, compressed or feels loose, it is definitely time for a new helmet.

Want more? We asked Shoei about the "5-year helmet life" rule and here's what they told us: "The service life on our helmets is five years from purchase date or seven years from manufacture date, whichever comes first. The warranty covers the helmet for the same period.

Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation.

Petroleum-based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance.

Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards.

Thus, the recommendation (for 5 year) helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy."

Says basically the same thing.  Although the Snell Foundation is paid to test helmets for manufacturers, from my understanding the fees are the same for all, so that leads me to believe that the testing is about as unbiased as it could be.

So...the answer is:  It Depends.  Not being a smart azz, but my 5 year old computer may still work, but can a new and improved version do a "BETTER" job?  In all probability.  So, advances in technology would probably pursuade me to purchase a new helmet at least every 5 years, if for no other reason than to get something lighter, better ventilated, better visual characteristics, etc.  But I doubt seriously if my helmet is REALLY worn out after 5 years...but I'm tired of it and want a new one, so I get one, if money allows.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:50:44 PM by Midnight Rider »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

Considering the fact that the typical person on this web site spends more on mods and chrome doodads and Harley T-shirts per year than even a fairly high priced helmet costs, I don't understand why this is such a big issue.  An excellent Snell approved helmet can be purchased for $200 - $400, depending on style and personal preference and features, and that works out to $40 - $80 per year over five years.  Two new tires for a late model Harley will set you back $500 or more, a dyno tune $300 - $500, a new seat $600 and up, new shocks $500 - $600 average, etc.  Why is replacing the helmet every five years a big deal? 

Try this approach.  When you buy a new helmet, get a different color so it feels like you've made a big change.  I see guys on this site drop many thousands of dollars when they trade a one year old bike for the new version just because they like the new color better or they like the new seat better or whatever.

Jerry

btw, the reason they put out a simple five year recommendation is very easy.  The customer can't tell by looking if the shock absorbing material has deteriorated or the retention system (straps, anchors, buckles) has been weakened, or in many cases if the comfort padding and lining has compressed too much.  Don't forget, even the so-called comfort foam and lining plays a part in the safety of the helmet.  The helmet needs to fit snug to keep it properly oriented and to reduce any acceleration of the head relative to the shock absorbing liner.  Think of it like the second collision in a car crash, when the human hits the now slowed or stopped interior of the car.

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.