Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Cam Chain Tensioners  (Read 6480 times)

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Cam Chain Tensioners
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

I haven't ridden very much lately cause of work and the weather. I heard a whining noise last time I rode the SERG and stopped at Scooters house to have him listen to it. He didn't want me to ride it home, so I left it. He finally had some time to pull cam/crank cover, suspecting cam chain tensioner noise. This is what we found. He wants me to put an oil pump with the new style tensioners, so I recon I'm down for a little while longer. I wish I could afford the gear drive set-up with new cams, but I can't right now. Car sales have been SLOOOOOW the last couple of months and I don't think we will do much here today, thunder, lighting. freezing rain, sleet and 27 degrees (pics to follow). I probably  have only heard the whinning noise for the last couple hundred miles very lightly, then the last time I rode it seemed to get worse. If I had checked it sooner, maybe I could have gotten off a little cheaper, on the other hand I'm glad I wasn't on a road trip and clogged the oil pump and burned down the motor. Life is good and good ridin weather will soon be here.    :2vrolijk_21:

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Cam Chain Tensioners
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:39 AM »

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »

how many miles on those tensioners?? and what kind of oil are you running??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:18:18 AM »

Cary, the tension you can't see is usually worse than the one you can.

Gear drive and a cam upgrade are nice.  New oil pump and lifters can make the heart go pitter pat.  But hell, it ran good before.  It'll run good again.  New tensioners and off you go.  Check it again in 20-25k and keep on keeping on.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:18:33 AM »

I haven't ridden very much lately cause of work and the weather. I heard a whining noise last time I rode the SERG and stopped at Scooters house to have him listen to it. He didn't want me to ride it home, so I left it. He finally had some time to pull cam/crank cover, suspecting cam chain tensioner noise. This is what we found. He wants me to put an oil pump with the new style tensioners, so I recon I'm down for a little while longer. I wish I could afford the gear drive set-up with new cams, but I can't right now. Car sales have been SLOOOOOW the last couple of months and I don't think we will do much here today, thunder, lighting. freezing rain, sleet and 27 degrees (pics to follow). I probably  have only heard the whinning noise for the last couple hundred miles very lightly, then the last time I rode it seemed to get worse. If I had checked it sooner, maybe I could have gotten off a little cheaper, on the other hand I'm glad I wasn't on a road trip and clogged the oil pump and burned down the motor. Life is good and good ridin weather will soon be here.    :2vrolijk_21:

Hobo

Hey Cary, to convert to the new stlye hydraulic tensioner system, would cost about as much as a gear drive cam setup. You can use your stock pump, with the Bypass Shim, and convert to gear drive with new cams and gears. To convert to the new system, I believe you need the new OP, the camplate and all tensioners, gears and chains. Look at it both ways. You might be surprised. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »

Life is good and good ridin weather will soon be here.    :2vrolijk_21:

Hobo

...been waiting for that dreaded sound myself, hope everything works out for you. Took this pic yesterday, thought it might warm you up. Doc

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

Hobo,
Well you caught it just in time. How many miles on the bike? I heard the new cam tensioner are made of different material now. You should be able to replace the tensioner and be up and running in no time.

I changed over to S&S gear drive this winter. I'm running a 570G with roller lifters, roller rockers and the Screamin Eagle billet cam plate and high volume pump.

Still waiting for Spring!
Frank
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »

I got 39,000 out of my first set ,and they looked way better then hobos,,got like 20,000 on the 2nd set,,checked-em at 10,000 ,,looked fine
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »

how many miles on those tensioners?? and what kind of oil are you running??

30,000 miles and using Moble One oil. I know I should have looked at them sooner!

Hobo

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »

Cary, the tension you can't see is usually worse than the one you can.

We did get a look at the inner tensioner and it is still in pretty good shape.

Hobo

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »

...been waiting for that dreaded sound myself, hope everything works out for you. Took this pic yesterday, thought it might warm you up. Doc

Man that lake looks great, I wish I was there. Spring is just around the corner---I'm ready!

Hobo

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 11:04:06 AM »

Hey Cary, to convert to the new stlye hydraulic tensioner system, would cost about as much as a gear drive cam setup. You can use your stock pump, with the Bypass Shim, and convert to gear drive with new cams and gears. To convert to the new system, I believe you need the new OP, the camplate and all tensioners, gears and chains. Look at it both ways. You might be surprised. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I'm gonna check into my different options, kinda depends on the extra cost above going with stock parts (except new style tensioners).

Hobo

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »

hobo, do you pull a trailer??..lotta wear compaired to mine @ 40,000,,there are pics in an earlyer thread of mine,I use mobil 1 also, with a quart of lucas added each oil change,(exept in the winter)
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »

hobo, do you pull a trailer??..lotta wear compaired to mine @ 40,000,,there are pics in an earlyer thread of mine,I use mobil 1 also, with a quart of lucas added each oil change,(exept in the winter)

Headpan-Yes I do pull a trailer, probably 5,000 miles of the 30k I have on the bike have been pulling the trailer. Scooter and I have been using Lucas in the engine and the trans. I espically like it in the trans, makes it shift noticably smoother.

We got about two more inches of ice last night, lots of trees and limbs down, but not near as bad as the Jan 07 ice storm. Power went out at the dealership around 1:00 pm yesterday and we finally left around around 3:00. This morning main roads are clear but back roads are still ice covered and pretty slick. A couple of the guys in the shop couldn't get in today becouse of downed trees across their roads.

Hobo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.