Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Road Glide Spot lamps  (Read 14069 times)

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
Re: Road Glide Spot lamps
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »

I'm with TLR on this one, it's ok but, not for me. I would be interested in one that worked with the forks or something like that, that would turn the light as you turned, would have to be small and low profile, maybe mounted low. Oh ya, would have to rub my neck and fetch me beer too. hey, we can only hope.

I had the oval Harley foglamps on my previous RG.  They mount to the crash bar, and look & work great imo.  They don't turn with the fork, but I didn't see that as a problem & will definitely add them to my new RG as well.   

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:23:39 AM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

I'm with TLR on this one, it's ok but, not for me. I would be interested in one that worked with the forks or something like that, that would turn the light as you turned, would have to be small and low profile, maybe mounted low. Oh ya, would have to rub my neck and fetch me beer too. hey, we can only hope.

Larry, search for pictures of MJZ's bikes.  He's got something called "Motolights" (I think that's right) installed.  They're bright, small and mounted at the brake caliper.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 12:37:53 PM »

2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »

Try here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=24109.0

That's it.  Thanks Dave.  Their cost had slipped my mind until rereading that thread.  Mark and a few others love theirs. Now I remember never being able to quite digest $500 or more for a pair of lights though.  If anyone is interested in more just dug up the company website:  http://www.motolight.com/

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »

Motolights, the best damn aux. lighting there is available. Worth every penny!
SEE and BE SEEN!!!!
Wouldn't ride without them. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »

The Motolights come standard with a 35W Halogen, and optional 50W Halogen.  $385 + $15 for the optional 50W bulb.

The engine guard mounted fog lights from Harley are 55W Halogens.  Includes switch, relay, and wiring.  $139.95 ($127 to the front door from Zanotti's).  I've not ridden with the Motolights, but I have ridden with the Harley lights.  They are very bright -- as much as I would ever want -- and throw a nice, wide, flat beam.  .02

I like the way they look too.  pn 68913-98B

It also seems to me that a higher mount works better.  You're able to go out further without aiming up.  My riding buddies always told me I was VERY visible with them on during daylight.  Why spend more when the best is less?

Plus, I didn't want the external wiring with the Motolights.   On the HD lights, all internal wiring.  Very clean install.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:52:23 PM by PR3VS56 »

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »

Here is another view on Moto lights - i have had them on a number of my bikes over the years so i have had many miles experience with them.

PRO'S
-They are almost in-destructible
-They create a visibility for oncoming traffic like no other lights - YOUR visibility is increased many fold, particularly if you bump up the bulbs to the next wattage (which i cant seem to remember what that is right now)
-Replacement bulbs are cheap, cheap, cheap - they can be purchased at any lighting store

CON's
-They are pricey
-I am not particularly fond of the appearance on certain bikes - but that is a personal opinion
-I think they do a VERY Mediocre job, at best, in lighting up the road - they are really there to increase you being seen versus seeing things IMHO.

Will post some pictures of what i ended up putting on my SERG to increase my visibility to SEE and be SEEN.   Piaa makes a bracket and lights that fit perfectly on the crash bars.  The triangle really causes you to be seen and the lights are up high enough and bright enough to really light up the road at night.   They are spendy - in the $400-450 range but i think really do the job and fit well with the look of the bike.

Gotta charge the camera but will post some pics in a bit.

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »

Here are some pics
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 05:18:33 PM by Rickybobby »

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »

And another

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »

Sorry about the poor quality of photographs

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »

Last one

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34:51 PM »

$.02:

Jim,  the look of the driving lights is subjective and I'm sure a lot of folks will love them.  But..., Kuryakyn lists these halogen driving lights at $389!  Do they project as much light as the Xenon lights?  With Xenon, the conversion is $120 and you get a lot of light.  So much so you almost never need high beams.  Don't want to be negative but seems like a much more efficient option.  Did the Kuryakyn front signals, though.  The LED's are much brighter and match the LED tail lights better than stock... 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

$.02:

Jim,  the look of the driving lights is subjective and I'm sure a lot of folks will love them.  But..., Kuryakyn lists these halogen driving lights at $389!  Do they project as much light as the Xenon lights?  With Xenon, the conversion is $120 and you get a lot of light.  So much so you almost never need high beams.  Don't want to be negative but seems like a much more efficient option.  Did the Kuryakyn front signals, though.  The LED's are much brighter and match the LED tail lights better than stock... 

GK

What Xenon lights?  Do they replace the stock headlamp bulbs?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »

Not sure what lights you are refering to for $120. But to answer your question, do halogen bulbs compare to Xenon? No. Xenon HID lights project farther and are brighter than halogen. Like everything else out there there are 100 HID lights and 500 HID lights, digital kits and non digital kits.....all I can say is in most cases you get what you pay for. I sell HID kits, Moto Lights and Kury products. I am not promoting these Kury Akyn lights as the answer to lights just wanted to share the pics of the installed products here for members to see. For what its worth I have HID headlamp on my own bike and will never have a bike again without. 8)

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51:32 AM »

Maybe you should look at the brake-caliper-mouted MotoLights (see http://www.motolight.com/). The only downside is the price -- $545!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.