Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: what is the best 6 1/2 speakers  (Read 7919 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
what is the best 6 1/2 speakers
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:55 PM »

I have been running a Hawg Wired system for about a year now.  300amp w ARC Audio 6 1/2's in the lowers and HW 5.25 in the fairing.  Sounds good but now I want to upgrade to 6 1/2's in the fairing.  Ride is an 09 CVO RG.  I have looked at the Focal's, Polks, Alpines.  I want clear loud sound that has great mids and bass.  Question is, what is the best speaker for my application.  Cost is not the issue, but no sense spending more money than I need to.  Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.  Ted

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: what is the best 6 1/2 speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »

Focals are going into mine soon, the Foose are going to the Streetglide.

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide O/B
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

Focals in mine also. Love them.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »

Focals in mine also. Love them.  :2vrolijk_21:

Looks like a nice speaker. They look deep. Got any specs? I'd like to see if they'll fit in the Dragonfly TP Speakerpods I have the Polk Component 6-1/2's w/separate crossovers in there now! Thanks! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »

Forcal's web site. http://www.focal-america.com/
and the adapter rings. www.throttleupindustries.com
I am using Focals CVX 165 speakers.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »

I had the Titian 6.5" speakers with the biketronics 150w amp. I was not happy with them because there was little bass and the highs were ear piercing. I had to turn the treble way down. I replaced the with the Infinity 6" x 8" model 682.9  speakers using the rideloud adapter kit. The adapter was good but I added another screw in the outboard position were there was one previously. This helped pull the speaker tight and flush. The sound let me tell you is fugging Awesome! I love it and highly wrecked a mend this setup!   :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.rideloud.com/

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=Infinity+Kappa+682.9cf&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17103613848305256971&ei=KvlFS9z7Ho7AlAepjL0U&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »

That is a nice setup. When upgrading speakers look at the ohms. The infinity speakers are 2 ohms and the Focals are 4 ohms as I will be adding two more speakers soon. So if you wanted to add more speakers ,depending on the amp you might not be able to, because it could damage the amp if it is not rated to go below 2 ohms. For more info on this go to. http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »

Bazooka amp also allows 2 ohm speakers ( as well as 4 ohm ) and powers 200 watt .
My setup :  Bazooka with the 6"x8" infinitys and ride-loud adapter and damping in the fairing.
Sound is pretty good with the -3db pushed switch, and the gain at lower than half .
 Ground at fairing-mount and power at cigarette-lighter , no problems but a very small sizzle when radio is off .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »

some good info here.  I am at 4 ohms now and dont want to drop to 2 ohms.  Still struggling with speaker choice.  I like the Focals but am concerned that at speed, they wouldnt sound any better than the ARC's. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »

Forcal's web site. http://www.focal-america.com/
and the adapter rings. www.throttleupindustries.com
I am using Focals CVX 165 speakers.

Thanks, but......Whoa! Nice looking stuff, but THE WORST WEBSITE EVER!!!! Try getting info from there! I can't even determine which ones are waterproof, let alone get specs on anything. I hope they design their speakers better than their website! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »

That is a nice setup. When upgrading speakers look at the ohms. The infinity speakers are 2 ohms and the Focals are 4 ohms as I will be adding two more speakers soon. So if you wanted to add more speakers ,depending on the amp you might not be able to, because it could damage the amp if it is not rated to go below 2 ohms. For more info on this go to. http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

I understand about impedence however my researh before purchasing found these facts on the speakers. So far they play loud and clear  :2vrolijk_21:
By the way electronics is my profession for the last 31 years   :coolblue:

My source:

http://signature.crutchfield.com/S-BSHMwFj0Iid/s_1086829CF/Infinity-Kappa-682-9cf.html?search=Infinity+Kappa+682.9cf&ssi=0

Infinity built the latest Kappa speakers with improved technology and high-end materials to provide you with outstanding sound reproduction. The low-impedance design makes these speakers very efficient, so you'll get great results powering them with a factory or aftermarket stereo.

The Kappa 682.9cf 5"x7"/6"x8" speakers feature light, but stiff woven glass-fiber woofer cones that won't flex or distort. The Plus One design offers a larger surface area for improved low-frequency output and efficiency, while longer voice coils produce tighter, snappier bass. Large magnets keep the woofers running cooler by placing more steel close to the voice coils to act as a heat sink.

Infinity uses the same Metal Matrix Diaphragm tweeter found in many of their popular home speakers, so you'll hear the music the way it was recorded with minimal coloration or distortion. The dome tweeters pivot, allowing you to adjust them for better stereo imaging.

The computer-optimized outboard crossover networks employ audiophile-grade components to separate highs and lows, so that the woofer and tweeter work together perfectly. Pre-wired crossovers eliminate a time-consuming step in your installation, and terminals at the end of the crossover wires screw directly to the speakers, leaving no chance for incorrect wiring.

Important Note: These Infinity Kappa speakers use a low impedance design to pull more power safely from your car stereo or amplifier. This design is compatible with virtually all factory and aftermarket stereos.
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »

I could not find any information whether the Infinity Kappa speaker is ok to be used by a rider who rides in a variety of weather conditions... are they water proof?

I understand about impedence however my researh before purchasing found these facts on the speakers. So far they play loud and clear  :2vrolijk_21:
By the way electronics is my profession for the last 31 years   :coolblue:

My source:

http://signature.crutchfield.com/S-BSHMwFj0Iid/s_1086829CF/Infinity-Kappa-682-9cf.html?search=Infinity+Kappa+682.9cf&ssi=0

Infinity built the latest Kappa speakers with improved technology and high-end materials to provide you with outstanding sound reproduction. The low-impedance design makes these speakers very efficient, so you'll get great results powering them with a factory or aftermarket stereo.

The Kappa 682.9cf 5"x7"/6"x8" speakers feature light, but stiff woven glass-fiber woofer cones that won't flex or distort. The Plus One design offers a larger surface area for improved low-frequency output and efficiency, while longer voice coils produce tighter, snappier bass. Large magnets keep the woofers running cooler by placing more steel close to the voice coils to act as a heat sink.

Infinity uses the same Metal Matrix Diaphragm tweeter found in many of their popular home speakers, so you'll hear the music the way it was recorded with minimal coloration or distortion. The dome tweeters pivot, allowing you to adjust them for better stereo imaging.

The computer-optimized outboard crossover networks employ audiophile-grade components to separate highs and lows, so that the woofer and tweeter work together perfectly. Pre-wired crossovers eliminate a time-consuming step in your installation, and terminals at the end of the crossover wires screw directly to the speakers, leaving no chance for incorrect wiring.

Important Note: These Infinity Kappa speakers use a low impedance design to pull more power safely from your car stereo or amplifier. This design is compatible with virtually all factory and aftermarket stereos.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »

I could not find any information whether the Infinity Kappa speaker is ok to be used by a rider who rides in a variety of weather conditions... are they water proof?

There as waterproof as your stock ones were  :nixweiss:
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

Ok...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »

I have a SERK and it did not come with anyaudio whatsoever. I added a KTP with Dragonfly speakerpods and Polk Audio WATERPROOF MARINE speakers. Don't know what HD uses, but I'll bet they're JUNK anyway! But I'd only install waterproof speakers in the KTP pods, since they face forward and will get soaked when moving in the rain. So how do you navigate that site to find out if they have waterproof speakers or get the speaker specs? Thanks.

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »

Not sure if the Focals are water proof, don't think they are, but will find during the first shower. I had the Bazooka amp but was not happy with it, so I switch to the Biketronics 380 watt system and Sony head unit. A great improvement over stock.  :2vrolijk_21:

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

Tlr, the Focals sound great at speed at 75-80 nice and loud.  :2vrolijk_21:

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »

Not sure if the Focals are water proof, don't think they are, but will find during the first shower. I had the Bazooka amp but was not happy with it, so I switch to the Biketronics 380 watt system and Sony head unit. A great improvement over stock.  :2vrolijk_21:

Which amp is that? I ask as I have the BT480 which is loud but lacks base through the 5 1/4" Titans. I only use the speakers for town use as I use my Ear Inc. earphones for highway use. I'm willing to give the Focals and the 6 1/2" adapters a shot if I can get a little base out of it.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »

Ordered the 6 1/2" adapters from Throttle-Up Industries, $43.95 to my door.  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.throttleupindustries.com/speaker_rings.html
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »

All of them are good speakers at that price point. At 75mph they will all sound the same. What matters is that you are happy with the amp you have. Hoist gave you the best advise on a marine speaker if they are going in a tour pack speaker pod. In the fairing I have JBL 6x8s with the ride loud adapters and Im very happy with the sound. Any of the 6 1/2s listed are top notch speakers and would be a great choice because of the environment you are using them in. Dont over think that one, pick the one that sounds the best to you at the store and run with it  :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »

All of them are good speakers at that price point. At 75mph they will all sound the same.
Bazooka with the 6"x8" infinitys and ride-loud adapter and damping in the fairing
also sounds good enough at 90mph and a Clearview standard height GT shield.

911Hawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »

I will throw this in..... It also depends on the quality of the recorded disk or download. I am also using the Biketronics BT 480 system and love it. I am picky about my music , it has to be just right.  :2vrolijk_21:

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 05:44:58 AM »

Me too , i also do not hear classic-concerts on the bike , just a little dubiduu and lalalala and boomboom .

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »

What about these. Custom Made for the Road Glide. Guaranty Crystal Clear. Cal me at 1-877-888-2788 or 1-323-540-HAWG for a video.  :orange: :mango: :apple:
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »

Here them in action. Send me a email and I will send you the video.
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.