Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Triking a SERG??  (Read 2321 times)

Eagle_Rider

• 80K Miles and still Screaming
Triking a SERG??
« on: February 20, 2006, 04:41:23 PM »

I am giving serious thought to triking one of my SERG's.  With it's lower gearing (the thing we all bitch about while running 300 RPM hotter than the others) and it's stock 1550cc, it's distinctive looks, color, and profile, it seems like an ideal scoot to Trike.   I am looking at stock resale and it appears they are going for $17-22K, (KBB is $19,300).  This one has 7800 miles on it and is completely stock.  My other has served me well with 80k miles on it and a few creature comfort conveniences (King TourPak, seat, Ultra CB radio, EZ Pull clutch, higher windscreen, White E's slipons, etc.). I wonder if I could get much for the stock componets that will come off (bags, rear fender, TourPak and CD/radio, Fish tails and slipons) since they would come off?  Anyone have any thoughts on it???

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Triking a SERG??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »

The problem with trikes is the limited resale.  I think I'd also go to the Riudoso Golden Aspen rally either in May or September and take a test ride on a trike.  Look for Trikes & Trailers out of Oklahoma City.  They're good people and do a great job on the conversion.  You could potentially find resale for your stock stuff- we'd even potentially be interested in some of it, we have a blue SERG as well- but since there were only 1400 or so made, there's only 1400 people out there who truly light be interested.  Riding a trike is totally different than a bike.  I haven't driven a trike, but I have a side hack, so I can't speak directly to the trike; but some of the hack was better and some was worse.  Hope this helps.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Eagle_Rider

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »

I am hoping that more and more folks, like guys getting ready to hang up their chaps, and women who want their own ride, will be getting more interested in trikes.  However, by the time you do the job there is a lot of money in the bike so that alone can be limiting.  I am talking to some folks who are in fact having in depth discussions with the Oklahoma City contact.  I was at the Ruidoso rally last Sept and started exploring the idea.  I think I might also hit Sturgis this year to test ride and check out various brands.  I was under the impression that there were only 1800-2001 SERGs, 900 black and 900 blue.  Not sure if all these owners are aware that Harley has classified these bikes as VIN Restricted.  That means that they will require that you send an old part back before they will let you order the new part.  So if you need a new gas tank, they want the old one back, in any condition before they will even allow a replacement order on their books.  That really pisses me off, since there is still salvage value in the old tank they are not compensating you for, plus you get to pay shipping to get the damaged part back to Harley!  Not sure buyers of SERGs know about this secret little policy.  Most dealers do not.  Harley claims they can fine a dealer $5k for violating the policy. Anyways, the interest I have in triking the SERG versus another bike is the warranty has expired, it has a 1550cc engine and it is geared lower, all good for a trike.  The resale of the stock SERG it not really much more than what you might pay to upgrade a 1450cc bike to 95ci.  I think the only parts that would be coming off would be the bags, the tour pak with CD Changer, and the rear fender and the removable tour pak rack.  The rest pretty much stays.  Do you think there would be any interest in those parts?  The CD changer would require lots of electrical mods to make work on a standard scooter due to the switch setup and modified radio (although I am exchanging it for a CB capable model so the radio would be available).  Besides, the iPod works so much better than a CD changer and takes less room.  I did find it interesting that the HDI manual specifically states that you can not add a side car. Not sure why. Obviously Harley wants nothing to do with the idea of a trike.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »

With the trikes I've seen Ron do (Trikes and Trailers Ron- he's a pretty good freind of mine), they use the tourpak on all the Ultras.  The only stuff removed is the Rear fender, wheel, swingarm(on most conversions) and saddlebags.  I've found most every owner of the limited bikes knows that they need a vin to get bodywork, but most are not willing to buy something for a "rainy day".  Unfortunately, unless you find the one person looking for the blue saddlebags and fender, you'll only be able to sell them for what any used painted part is likely to go for- in spite of the fact they are limited pieces.  On the flip side, you'll probably have a hell of a time getting the correct paint on the trike bodywork.  I've never even seen a SE triked, much less a SERG.  Even though the last time I was in Sturgis was '99, I don't remember any trike vendors there.  The Golden Aspen Rally is the one Ron talks about having better trike displays.  This past year he took several for demos.  If you need any info from him, either let me know or call him direct- he's alway ready to chat trikes.  His number is (405)495-7822.  They're usually there from about 10-6 CST M-F and 10-3 or 4 on Saturday.  Just off I40 on the west end of Oklahoma City.  I guess I've seen 4 HD trikes done there, all Ultras.  They all looked pretty good.  Some good friends of mine just bought an Ultra trike from a HD dealer in either Memphis or Nashville.  The dealer does the conversions.  They paid about what I've seen Ron asking for his, but the dealer had better financing available.  Anyhow, if you need any info, just ask.  When my better half gets back in town- sometime late tommorrow, I'll put a bug in her ear about extra parts!!  Maybe I can help- who knows.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Eagle_Rider

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:33 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I knew about VIN restrictions where in HDI requires a VIN number which is fine.  My problem is their requirement for the old part shipped back.  Since I would loose the bags, I would install a King Tour Pak, the shorty is worthless.  The bags have about the same storage as the trunk of the trike. My understanding is that the rear fender gets cut, it is still required for the seat on most conversions. I agree that I would probably not get any premium for selling the takeoff components. I have a photo of an RG converted to a Motor-Trike, which is what I think Ron represents, and it looks pretty cool!  I believe the frames for an FLHT and FLTR are the same (at least the back end) so I do not know why it would be a problem to convert an RG.  I have 2 FLTRSEI2's and I have already had one painted due to some hit a deer a couple of years ago.  I found the PPG color codes on this site.  I had the Fairing repainted, no damage to the Eagle graphic so the painter just masked it off, the front and rear fenders, a new King Tour Pak and a Saddle Bag.  The fact that I could get the PPG paint is the other reason I find the HDI VIN restricted program to be BS. Can not get the Eagle on the fairing or the graphic on the tank, but everything else is easy for the paint shop.  Thanks for the contact info on Ron, I am planning to do the "Ride For The Wall" in May so I may drop in while passing through.  My wife rides an 05 Ultra but is really interested in the Trike idea.  I actually think it would be kind of cool to see the stock SERG and a triked SERG traveling together:)

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 10:49:11 AM »

Eagle Rider,

To help you out on this, go take a look at the General CVO Discussion section and goto page 6, you will find a post called : Poll, trike vs sidecar.

Their are some photo of my trike and my new one that is just about done.

All of the trikes are priced from $12,500 to 15,500 as conversion done on your bike.

Our DFT kit is the one at $15,500.

The best advice I can offer you is to demo ride all the MFG kits and you will than know how each one rides, stops, and how much you can get into the trunk.

To see ours you can goto www.dfttrikes.com and see them.

We will be at Sturgis at Rapid City H-D dealer doing demo's all week. And our demo rides's are 10-15 miles so you get to know what ours can do. Not a ride in a parking lot only!

If you have any questions on trikes after you look at the other post let me know.....

Dean Nelson
2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 11:57:10 AM »

That would be pretty neat to see the combo traveling together.  If you plan on stopping in May, let me know, I'll have the better half ride up with hers so you guys can compare notes.  If you need any local info, I get what ever I can for you.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 10:57:09 AM »

2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 10:57:32 AM »

2023 CVO Road Glide

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »

Puzzled welcome to the site. I,am a moderator for SERG section if there is any thing I can help you with let me know, your black Road glide looks great.

OTIS [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:10:38 PM by otis »
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »

Here is another Trike Co. that is out of Canada and recently (1-2 years ago) put a plant in Spearfish, SD (20 miles west of Sturgis).  http://www.lehmantrikes.com/  Good luck.
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.