Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Pipes on a '01 FLTRSEI2  (Read 4312 times)

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Pipes on a '01 FLTRSEI2
« on: August 06, 2006, 09:45:53 PM »

Hey guys, I'm new here and have recently purchased a '01 SE Roadglide. It's a one owner bike and still has the original pipes. I purchased a set of Vance and Hines slip on mufflers but haven't installed them yet.
I stopped by the local harley dealer and wanted to Dyno the bike before installing the new mufflers. The service manager said to beware that it might mess with the fuel injection system. I can't remember the brand of fuel injection but he pretty much made it know that it's junk.

What kind of problems can I expect with mufflers, SE aircleaner, and a power commander.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Pipes on a '01 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:51:19 AM »

First off, WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!   If you do some looking, you'll find LOTS of info to help you out.  The MM injection on the '01 was only fair, but it can do a great job on some bikes.  The power commander should help things just fine.  You may want to try things a step at a time, just to see how your FI system handles it. Some can do a good job, some won't tolerate any changes at all.  Once you get the commander dialed in, you'll really wake up that motor.  It'll run quite well with minimal mods.  You can even go headpan's route and take the FI system off and put on a carb.  He had little trouble doing it and is very pleased with the results.  The stock pipes can do pretty well if you remove the plug in the rear of each.  Opens them up some and helps flow better.  Works well with the aircleaner.  So what color do you have???
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »

I have the two tone blue w/silver eagle. I purchased / traded at a dealership but have since then contacted the original owner and he was very helpful and awarding, he still had the tourpak liner, bike cover, and the detachable backrest.

I tried removing the exhaust tips to get to the plugs but the countersunk screws weren't cooperative. I''ve purchased Vance and Hines pipes and was planning on leaving the baffles in.

I have it planned to dyno the bike before any mods and as you recommended doing one thing at a time.

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »

Eric, I have the identical twin to your bike. I bought it last august with 20,000 miles on it and have 32,000 on it now. It does have the first fuel injection system also and have not had a problem with it. I have hesitated to do any mods to it because I have heard horror stories about this injection system. Besides, it runs good and I feel if it ain't broke don't fix it ;).

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:26:44 PM »

Eric, welcome to the forum.   I also have the same color scheme but agree with Ripp that you don't see our color combination much.  Seems like I see an occasional orange, but in the 18 months I've had mine I think I've only seen one other blue.

I have 20k on mine and haven't had any trouble with the fuel injection.

I am curious about the process to remove the plugs in the mufflers as I am still sporting the fishtail tips and would like a little better performance and a little better sound...I have a lift, can I see the plugs best if I lift it up?  Where are they and what is the best way to remove them?   My bike is stock other than installing a SE air cleaner and the associated download.

Enjoy your beautiful bike......

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »

Her SERG is also blue/silver.  The counter sunk screws that hold the fishtail pipe ends on can be a bear to get loose.  I used a hand held "impact".  It's set up so when you whack the end of it with a hammer, it will forcefully twist a screw while driving the bit firmly into the screw head.  Works really well on phillips heads.  Once you get the ends off, take a dremel and cut the spot welds that hold the plugs in place.  The plugs will almost fall out, though you may need to encourage them some.  We haven't had any real problems with the FI system to date.  She's got about 23k on it so far.  It was running a little lean through most of the power band, but a race fueler helped a bunch.  I need to get it a little better dialed in, but it works great so far.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

HDBIGMAN

• THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 12:14:56 AM »

I've got a Black/Charcoal/silver 2001 FLTRSEI2 that I purchased new in May 2001, I took the fishtail exhaust tips off when I first got the bike and took out the baffles changed to a SE air cleaner and the bike runs absolutely wonderful. I think about going to a bigger engine or six speed trans but it just works so well I hate to screw with it.... there is a lot to be said for that old saying "if it ain't broke.... don't fix it".

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:39:43 PM »

Eric,
  Welcome to the Site.  That Service Manager is an idiot.  For your Bike to reach it's maximum Performance potential, contact OTIS, the Moderator of this thread.  He will gladly share with you the information you need.  Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 11:54:49 AM »

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
I've never even heard of a black and charcoal color for 2001, man that's awesome. I've seen more two tone blue and the two tone red 2000 models than anything.
I don't know if you guys would believe me or not but my bike has 60,000 miles on it from the original owner and it runs awesome, no problems.
I installed my Vance and Hines mufflers and the bike idles fine and runs good. I still need to check a spark plug.
I rode a 2000 SE Roadglide before I bought this one and it wouldn't idle and had no low end power. It had Vance and Hines pipes with the baffles removed and the owner acted like it was no big deal.

Still_on2_wheels

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:32:50 AM »

Here is the grey with Vance & Hines. I have the V&H on both my twin cams. Both are MM inj systems.

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:36:07 AM by Still_on2_wheels »
01 FLTRSEI2, 01FLHRI, 52 Pan, 51 Pan/Shovel. -->> Looking for a pair of plumbers thread panheads <<--

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:44 PM »

Well, I installed the Vane and Hines mufflers and have been riding it for 2 weeks now and the bike seems to run good but has started to run rich and the plugs are dark colored.
I don't have a high flow air cleaner yet but will it help with the rich condition or make it worse?
Is there anything a guy could do before going to a Power Commander?

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »

Yes, a high flow air cleaner will help.  I have the SERF, and have been very happy with it, though it richens the fuel - what have you done to get yours so rich versus stock?  I have a 2000 SERG with SE slip ons, SE air cleaner and SERF, just to slightly richen the mix since flowing the extra air.

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »

The bike is completely stock except for the slip-on mufflers. When I first put on the mufflers the bike didn't change at all started fine and the spark plugs looked good. But after another week the bike runs rich ( plugs are black, smells gassy) but runs good, no starting problems. It pops a little bit if you've been chugging around town but other than that no problems.
I'm stupid, please help, what is the SERF?

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »

The bike is completely stock except for the slip-on mufflers. When I first put on the mufflers the bike didn't change at all started fine and the spark plugs looked good. But after another week the bike runs rich ( plugs are black, smells gassy) but runs good, no starting problems. It pops a little bit if you've been chugging around town but other than that no problems.
I'm stupid, please help, what is the SERF?

The SERF looks like it's a typo

Should be SERT (I think)

Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner - used to reprogramme your ECM to adjust the Air to Fuel ratio for proper combustion and max power taking into account any changes you may have made (fFee Flow Air Filter, Free Flow Mufflers, etc etc )

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 04:48:11 PM »

The SERF looks like it's a typo....

Cheers

Dave
There is a Screamin' Eagle Race Fueler also. See below the information from the 2005 Screamin' Eagle Parts Catalog.

D. SCREAMIN
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »

When I had my '05 Road King, I installed a REV TECH DFO and it worked great and it only cost about$200.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 09:12:36 PM »

Yes - SERF is the race fueler, though as noted it only adds fuel.  I would guess that you're rich problem is unrelated to your exhaust swap - if it was fine, then suddenly too rich, I'm thinking it is some problem that just happened to occur after you added the exhaust.

Eric Sommer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »

I read a good artical in the Sept. issue of American Iron magazine comparing the PCIII and the SERT and it favors the PCIII. After reading the artical I'm going with the PCIII.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.