Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opening up Inner Fairing  (Read 2118 times)

bluesei2

• HD4me
Opening up Inner Fairing
« on: December 22, 2006, 08:05:44 PM »

Started a thread earlier regarding removal of the windshield and through some advise from the HD dealer (and HeadPan62), I was able to remove the offending grommet (zerk) by holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers and backing out the screw.  I find however that a couple of the other "attachment" points are not "standard" HD.  I would like to pull the inner fairing (face) back  at the top a few inches to get my hand in there.  I see a series of star bolts that I could loosen.  Can I remove these and pry the inner fairing (face) up enough to get my hand in there without disrupting the stereo, gauges, etc.?   Guess its time to buy a service manual  :).  I have the FLTRSEI2 supplement but it doesn't go into sufficient detail here.

thanks in advance,

Bluesei2

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
Re: Opening up Inner Fairing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:39:02 PM »

Started a thread earlier regarding removal of the windshield and through some advise from the HD dealer (and HeadPan62), I was able to remove the offending grommet (zerk) by holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers and backing out the screw.  I find however that a couple of the other "attachment" points are not "standard" HD.  I would like to pull the inner fairing (face) back  at the top a few inches to get my hand in there.  I see a series of star bolts that I could loosen.  Can I remove these and pry the inner fairing (face) up enough to get my hand in there without disrupting the stereo, gauges, etc.?   Guess its time to buy a service manual  :).  I have the FLTRSEI2 supplement but it doesn't go into sufficient detail here.

thanks in advance

Bluesei2

Bluesei the grommets your talking are called wellnuts do not pry on anything the outter fairing is easy to remove take the star screws you were talking about out and those nuts on the turn signals lay a towel on the fender and sit the fairing on the fender while while you unplug the headlight and your done some help your first time to hold the fairing while you unplug the headlight would be good. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:59:57 PM »

Bluesei the grommets your talking are called wellnuts do not pry on anything the outter fairing is easy to remove take the star screws you were talking about out ...                                       OTIS

The "star screws" can also be referred to as Torx head fasteners or screws. That's my contribution for the day...thank you very much! :)

djkak

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:15:10 PM »

what are you trying to acomplish bro??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 11:27:17 PM »

Thanks OTIS, djkak and HeadPan62...This is how I was hoping it worked (OTIS's explanation) but just the reverse of what how I thought it would come apart - meaning I figured the inner part would lift out rather than the outer part falling away.  I just need to be able to get my hand into the area where the wellnuts holes are so that I can remove the make-shift connectors and replace ALL 5 with the proper wellnuts and associated fasteners.  From what OTIS described, I imagine I can remove the outer shell and get to the wellnut "holes" and not have to mess with the headlight at all.   Sound about right?

Cheers,

Bluesei2

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

As Otis stated undo the screws and the front fairing will come off. After you place your towel over the fender, and undone the headlights connector. Grab the faring and lift up on it to free it from the two hooks of the inner mounting bracket by the radio.

After you have replaced the wellnuts you can put the windshield on to the fairing and you then can put the the windshield and faring back on to the mounting hooks as one assembly.

In future if you ever nedd to thake the fairing off you can do it as an assembly. Poviding you do not have to replace any bulbs.

geezerglide

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 12:39:15 AM »

Thanks GeezerGlide and cheers to you and yours...

BlueSEI2

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »

My 2 cents.

After installing my clearview windshield, I really like one of their improvements.

They added thin plastic washers behind the well nut rim and the fairing, this addition makes the installation much easier.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:10:05 AM by Scooterhair »
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 12:24:03 PM »

Scooterhair,

You beat me to my next suggestion.

I too have the Clearview with the Euro Flip, great windshiled the rubber troim is a lot better thatn the HD and the foam filler piece is a good idea.

geezerglide

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »

GeezerGlide and Scooterhair,

Thanks for the addition ideas on Clearview - sounds like a great product.  My wife however already purchased the HD windshield.  Thanks for everyone's help with this.  

Cheers,

BlueSEI2

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 09:43:18 AM »

Well, I was trying to suggest that you take one of the well nuts done to your local hardware store and get some thin plastic washers that will fit on them.

It will make life easier for you.

PS, you can buy new well nuts there too, at a much lower price than HD.

HINT HINT

Scooter
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 11:46:12 PM »

Thanks Scooter but for the record, the wellnuts were less than $1 each at the dealer.  I learned a valuable lesson when mounting the windshield that it is better to attach wellnuts to the screws through the windshield (and get the threads started) BEFORE putting the wellnuts into the fairing.  I lost a couple - got pushed through when attempting to mount the new windshield first time around.  

thanks and Happy New Year to all  [smiley=drink.gif]

BlueSEI2

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 02:40:26 AM »

Well that's what Harley life is all about. Figuring out you just _____ up and how to fix it.
I did the same thing, but the washer thing is a really good improvement over OEM.
I think I have a couple of extra, I will take a pic and post it so you can see what it looks like.
But I must say you are learning fast grasshopper.
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

bluesei2

• HD4me
Re: Opening up Inner Fairing / Taller Windshield
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »

Thanks Scooter (and all) for the encouragement and help.  I do have a related question... The new (3" taller than stock) windshield seems to vibrate more at idle and low speeds than I remember the original - maybe I notice it more because it is more in my line of sight.  Once I get up to speed it all smooths out.  I also know at idle/low speed, there is some vibration in the fairing as well.  Has anybody run across this - Scooter, might your washer trick help?

The disassembly of the inner fairing did not go as I'd hoped (didn't actually get it to drop down  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]), but I was after all the screws were loosened, able to reach in and remove the offending connectors to make way for the wellnuts and screws.  I am wondering if perhaps I retightened the bolts by the turn signals too tightly or if there is a knack to how to tight to screw down the windshield or ??

Maybe the windshield being taller is a contributor in itself.  The only other thing I noticed is that the taller windshield (an HD part) seems to be slightly thinner than the stock windshield.  

The taller windshield is working as I had hoped, where at 6'2", the wind now goes to the top of my helmet vs. hitting me square in the eyes (glasses) with the stock one.  

By the way, I did take my own earlier advice and my Service Manual is on its way  ;)

I hope you all are enjoying the weather like we are in Northern Virginia.  Riding on December 31st - works for me!!

Happy New Year...

BlueSEI2

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.