Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need GPS  (Read 2492 times)

Josh

Need GPS
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »

I am looking to get myself GPS this season. I wanted to find out what the consensis is out there on which unit is best. I do not want to get the one built in to the radio by HD, but if I am going to make the investment I would like a portable unit so I can take it with me in my truck when I am not riding. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Josh

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Need GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:51 AM »

Morning Josh,

My suggestion would be to go w/ the Zumo. It is a Garmin product which has the best mapping ability. It can be used for both the bike & car and has buletooth for your phone.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »

Hi Josh,
I agree with hard10 with the Zumo by Garmin but also like the Garmin 2820 unit. I have the older 2720 unit by Garmin myself and have used it for a year on my bike and truck with no problems.  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »

With what is available at this point in time, the Garmin Zumo, or the Garmin 2820 are the best choices, IMO.  Both have very similar features...Bluetooth, MP3, etc.  I would recommend that you read some of the threads here on the Zumo/2820 comparisons, go to the Garmin site and pull them up side by side, and choose one of the two based on features and which one you think "looks" better to you.  Once you get one of these, you'll wonder how you've lived without it for so long!!

Then you'll get into the whole mounting thing...that's another topic....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 03:11:11 PM »

I am looking to get myself GPS this season. I wanted to find out what the consensis is out there on which unit is best. I do not want to get the one built in to the radio by HD, but if I am going to make the investment I would like a portable unit so I can take it with me in my truck when I am not riding. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,
  If you follow this link: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php/topic,10679.0.html, it will take you to a previous thread I posted when I got my Zumo 550.   I have been riding with this GPS since Dec, and really love the ease of using and ease of seeing it.  Check it out and good luck!  If I can answer any questions, fire away.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:31:55 PM »

Can't tell you about the Zumo.  Never seen one but from the photos it looks like a really nice unit.  I run a Garmin 2720 and am very happy with it.  See that www.costco.com had the 2730 (same as the 2720 but also has XM radio) for special price of $499.99.  That, imo, is a great deal.  Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Garmin units.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Josh

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:38:06 AM »

Thanks for all the feed back. I guess I will look at the units side by side and make a decision. I think I am leaning towards the Zumo. I was not sure if I should go with the 550 or the 450?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »

Thanks for all the feed back. I guess I will look at the units side by side and make a decision. I think I am leaning towards the Zumo. I was not sure if I should go with the 550 or the 450?

Personally, I would not go with what amounts to a downgraded unit in the 450, unless you KNOW for SURE that you will never use the Bluetooth or MP3 functions.  If you want to run the voice commands through the stereo system on your bike, you will find the MP3 player a nice feature to have.  JMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Josh

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »

Well I just ordered My GPS this morning. I got the Garmin Zumo 550. I wanted to see if there was any other things that I am going to need other than a different mount.

Thanks,

Josh

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:03:38 PM »

Well I just ordered My GPS this morning. I got the Garmin Zumo 550. I wanted to see if there was any other things that I am going to need other than a different mount.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

Congratulations!  I think you will love your choice :2vrolijk_21:  I would recommend the techmount system for mounting; looks great and works even better.  Here is their web site: http://www.techmounts.com/    Great people to deal with :bananarock:  Let us know if you have any questions.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.