Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with run/brake light modules  (Read 2203 times)

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
Problems with run/brake light modules
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:20:58 PM »

When I took delivery of my '06 FLHTCUSE I had the dealer install the run/brake light module, so that the rear turn signals would act as brake lights when the brakes were applied.  My thought was the more brake lights the better to be seen.  I had had several people tell me that my turn signals looked like the brake light was on all the time.  I decided to go with the Radiantz LED lights for the brake light and turn signals.  When I made the change, the problem was even more visible, (looking like the brake lights are always on, on the turn signals)  Anyway, I talked to the tech guy at Biketronics, and he told me that he had encountered a problem with the HD run/brake module.  He said he had heard there was a recall on some of these modules because they don't make much of a distinction between run and brake, and it appears that the brakes are always on!  I ordered one of their run/brake modules and will install as soon as I get it.  I'm expecting to see a big change.  I will post the results as soon as I get it later this week.  The folks at radiantz have been great to work with, and hopefully if any of you are experiencing this same problem, I may have found the solution for you.  Will let everyone know the results.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Problems with run/brake light modules
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »

HH04,
I had a similar problem the first day in Daytona. I had been running the module w/ Kuryakan LEDs. When I put the turn signal on the light would flash rapidly like a light was out. It worked fine for a while but after getting wet, the fuse kept blowing. I removed the module and no more blown fuses. AJ

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »

HH04,
I had a similar problem the first day in Daytona. I had been running the module w/ Kuryakan LEDs. When I put the turn signal on the light would flash rapidly like a light was out. It worked fine for a while but after getting wet, the fuse kept blowing. I removed the module and no more blown fuses. AJ

AJ,

I never had a problem like you described, only the really bright turn light.  I got my LEDs from Radiantz, and hopefully with their new module, all will be fixed.  Should have it this week and will post to let everyone know.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »

HH04, I know of the problem that you are talking about. Unbalanced has the same set up as you (I think). While riding behind him, because he has done all that engine work to make him go faster  :orange:  ;)  :orange:, I noticed how bright his turn signals were. It appeared that he was on the brakes even though he wasn't. They are bright.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 03:15:52 PM »

Well, I got the module from Biketronics, (Radiantz) last night and installed.  I removed the HD module, and there is definitely a difference when the lights are on vs the brake light.  I am still concerned that the rear turn lights seem almost like the brake is on when it is just in the run mode.  I know LEDs are brighter, but I still think it shouldn't be so bright.  Has anyone else had these problems and come up with a solution? :nixweiss:  Has anyone used any other LEDs and didn't have any issues?  Appreciate any feedback.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »

Well, I got the module from Biketronics, (Radiantz) last night and installed.  I removed the HD module, and there is definitely a difference when the lights are on vs the brake light.  I am still concerned that the rear turn lights seem almost like the brake is on when it is just in the run mode.  I know LEDs are brighter, but I still think it shouldn't be so bright.  Has anyone else had these problems and come up with a solution? :nixweiss:  Has anyone used any other LEDs and didn't have any issues?  Appreciate any feedback.

H...do you have the Radiantz LED's in turn signals and in tailight?  Red lenses or did you keep the smoked with Red LED's?  If smoked lenses were kept on, that could be part of it, and if there's still an 1157 in the tailight, the contrast is pretty dramatic.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »

H...do you have the Radiantz LED's in turn signals and in tailight?  Red lenses or did you keep the smoked with Red LED's?  If smoked lenses were kept on, that could be part of it, and if there's still an 1157 in the tailight, the contrast is pretty dramatic.

Terry,
 I went with the Radiantz LEDs for both the turn signals and the tailight.  I have red lenses on the turn signals.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »

Terry,
 I went with the Radiantz LEDs for both the turn signals and the tailight.  I have red lenses on the turn signals.

H...was just curious.  I've considered doing this, but decided against it, partly for the reasons you guys are describing, but mostly because I think the amber turn signals make it more clear of my intentions to those behind me.  IMO, the single most effective thing those of us who own the SEUC's can do is to put that strip of LED's on the tourpak...gets the light up where people can see it easily.  I guess people thinking you're on the brakes until they see them operate a couple of times is better than not... :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rhino

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »

I picked up the Kuryakn smartwire and the addl load circuit. Addl load for future LED use in the ass end. Took about 47 seconds to install.  In the future, about 30 minutes later, I then found 2 1156 LED's at Autozone and popped them in the turn sigs w the stock smoked lens.  They are bright, and modulate per Kury, and brighter yet when hittin the brakes.  Bright is a good thing, and brighter yet is even better.

After watching AJ blow them fuses, he needed to add an additional load device, becsue his LED's did not draw enough power. Symptoms include the alarm light to remain lit on 07 SEUS's. Fixed with a load however. The Kury cost me 59 in Daytona and 29 for the extra load.  Overpriced, and simple, but do the job well.

Rhino

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.