Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Daytona vs Sturgis  (Read 2747 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Daytona vs Sturgis
« on: November 01, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »

So I was watching a YouTube video recently, the guy is called professional monkey.  For the most part his videos are usually entertaining.  But he recently did a video saying 8 reasons why Sturgis is better than Daytona. Now he openly admits he has only been to Daytona Bikertoberfest once and never to bike week. His reasons were interesting.

I have only been to Sturgis once and loved it. The journey (I'm 2200 miles away) the time there and every thing I experienced. I only saw the town of Sturgis one day out of 7 being there. Now I go to Daytona twice a year (I'm only 4 hours away). And I love Daytona too.

Also let me state I love rallys. And yes some are better than others. But I like seeing the bikes, the bike shows. The vendors, the journey, the rides and oh yes the chicks.....yepper I said the chicks. 

My personal view is I don't think Strugis or Daytona or even Laconia are better or worse than the other. I think they are all different. I went to Laconia this year. The rally itself wasn't too impressive. But the riding in the northeast was amazing.

So what do you think. What are your views on the different rallys. Some better than others? Perhaps you hate the rallys? Cool let's hear it and why. What are you favorite rallys and why? Oh yeah I'll be at Leesburg bikefest in a couple of weeks too. It's a small rally but some nice riding in Central Florida.  And our weather has just now finally turned cool. In the sixties here this morning. The coolest day we've had since April.

What do you think???

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Daytona vs Sturgis
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »

I’ve only been to a couple of small rallies and it just wasn’t for me as I’m not much on big crowds, congested cities, or slow moving traffic.  Maybe the larger rallies are more interesting but I would rather ride backroads through the mountains with just a couple of buddies.  I have never been to Sturgis but when I do finally make the trip, I will plan it for a time either before or after the rally but definitely not during, JMHO.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »

Been to Daytona for 20+ years to Bikeweek and All but 2 of the Biketoberfests. Been to Sturgis twice. I am not sure how you can compare the events. In Sturgis we stayed 6 days both times in Deadwood, rode approx 1000 miles and had a great time. Did not pay the fees to enter the campgrounds so we didn't see the big headliner bands but still rode enough and saw so much history that it was a great time.
In Daytona which is only 3 hours from home we ride maybe 300 miles in the week, hit all the dealer lots and vendor locations, Main Street both during the day and at night as well as Ormond entertainment area. Have a great time and I actually enjoy it more than Sturgis.
So to each his own. Also been to Las Vegas Bikefest which we didn't care for, Myrtle Beach which I feel unless you want to barhop is a waste and Panama City both Spring & Fall which are OK but only takes a couple days to experience & Leesburg which in my opinion is a Band/entertainment event more than a Bikefest, go almost every year for a day and actually looking forward to it this year as it's hopefully going to be cooler next week.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »

I have been to Sturgis 3 times, Daytona once, Laconia once, Myrtle beach 3 times and Laughlin
Nev. rally once. I had a blast in Myrtle Beach in the early 2000's. Heard it has changed. Laconia sucked because it rained the whole time.. Yes the White mountains were a great ride. From what I hear it rains more than not during the rally. Went to Daytona and thank God we trailered. The weather is way too ify coming from the north. There was an ice storm from Tenn to Ohio on the way back. I am glad I went to say I did it. I went with friends that had been there many times and boy that helped as far as where to go and how to get there. I prob won't go back being Fla is not an exciting state to ride...Boring!. The Laughlin rally was just good timing while I was deployed to Nellis AFB. I got to meet Arlen Ness there! This would be another rally I can say at least I went. My top choice is Sturgis. To me there is no better area to ride. I like the crowds and meeting new people. You can ride for a month out there and not see the same thing. No trailer queen here, we ride the Ultra every where. (except for Daytona in March..lol)  Those are my picks.... ;D

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 08:19:53 PM »

The last time we went to Daytona was 2011 and it was ok, I think the group we went with ruined it for us. We have been to Sturgis 3 times now and will probably become our yearly vacation. It is so much fun meeting new people and the riding is spectacular. We talk about going back to Daytona but there isn’t that much riding to do, but maybe we will go back one day.

mark

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 11:45:02 PM »

Sturgis for the win and it’s not even close.  The rally is great and there’s so much to see while in the area, plus the great riding.  Daytona has the rally, but nowhere to ride, unless you want to ride on a straight road, stop light to stop light, along the beach. 

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 06:49:56 AM »

Daytona is a mere shell of what it used to be in the late 90's early 2000's.  The city has done it's best to neuter the event and make it PC.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »

I live 625 miles from Daytona and 1557 from Sturgis.  My wife and I have rode our bikes out to Sturgis 6 times.  We have rode to Daytona Bikeweek and Biketoberfest more times than I can count.

Sturgis is the one we like best for many reasons.  There is so much more to do and see in and around Sturgis.  The rally is spread out in several towns, Sturgis, Deadwood, Hill City, Custer, and Rapid City to name a few.  The riding and sight seeing in and around Sturgis are much better.  There are more Vendors.  The Bands are way better and much bigger name.  The Police are not as big a jerks as they are during Dayton Bike week.  I usually put 600 miles on the bike during the rally.  We also usually take two weeks when we do Sturgis and spend one of the weeks riding CO or WY.

FL everything is crammed in a small area.  Not much good riding or sight seeing.  Lucky if I get 250 miles on my bike during the rally.  Yet go often as we enjoy rallys and its a day ride to get there.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »

It is Literally the exact same distance to Daytona as it is to Sturgis from where I live.
I have been to every Daytona beach Bike week since 1993. I have been to Sturgis 8 times, 6 times riding out and twice trailering with my wife along. I think we both prefer Sturgis but we end up going to Daytona every year because it's still winter here in Michigan and we look forward to the better weather and getting a jump start on our riding season. When Sturgis comes around its full blown riding season here in Michigan also so it's somewhat less of a priority I guess? That being said, We look forward to going to Sturgis again.
As a side note, We really enjoy Myrtle Beach bike week in May. We have been Many times and it's always been nice.

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »

Never been to Daytona but have been to Laconia and Sturgis.  Laconia I have been to twice, once during rally time and once during riding season, fall actually.  Sturgis I have been to 3 times, twice during rally time and once during the summer.  What I will say is the rally's are fun but when it comes to riding I prefer going normal time because of the traffic during riding season and just overall less people.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »

As to which one is "better" it's very subjective & a lot depends upon
1. the weather
2. that event that particular year - some years are better than others
3. what you want to do/like to do

Still go to rallies occasionally but sometimes we go when there isn't a rally.  Some bikes there, not a lot.  Riding is better because the crowds aren't.  Am not much on walking around venues and looking at vendors unless am looking for something specifically.  If you like the crowds, the higher rates, & waiting & waiting because of traffic & all - the events are more fun.

Daytona for me was more fun before about 2000, before the city decided to ticket everyone for doing anything.  Riding for me is always better out west.  Wide open spaces, wide open roads, & in the sparsely populated areas no traffic & not many people. Can't get that at a rally, or it wouldn't be much of a rally.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 05:59:09 PM »

Just to add 2 more cents on something that was mentioned esp for those who haven't been to Sturgis.......Being there 3 times, 2 of them (with friends) have been the week prior to the actual rally. A lot of the vendors have been catching on that a good number of people go a week before so they are set up already. Yes there are less crowds and cheaper rates. We wanted to do some good riding out there and you still get the feeling of the rally. The other time I went (during the rally) with a friend it was just the 2 of us and we partied and watched some great bands. Needless to say not many miles put on the bikes once we got there..lol  I think we owned stock in the old Full Throttle before it burnt down. Great time! So there ya have it..... 8)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 06:22:41 AM »

Like some on here, I’m a regular Daytona bike week attendee because it’s a nice break from cold weather riding and a chance to relax with friends. Even though we ride down 900 miles and back, it’s more about socializing than anything.
I rode to sturgis in the 90’s for the 1st time and fell in love with the area. Since then, we’ve made a trip out west kind of a must do every 3 years or so. It takes a good 3 weeks to make it a great trip to see some part of the west. I never went back to the rally and probably never will again.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

JLR

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »

You folks that think there isn't any good riding in Florida, need to get off the interstate and Rt !.  Head inland on the Skinny roads.  There is a lot to see.  I have never been to Sturgis, but have ridden in the west and loved it.  It is different than than anywhere else in the country.  Having been born and raised  for the first 52 yrs of my life in upstate NY, I can tell you that riding in the Adirondack's over through the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire is great too.

Like many of you, I don't really care that much for the rally's unless I'm looking for something. 

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 06:16:11 PM »

Wow there are some great responses here. Like some of you I don't call one rally "better" than another. I see them as all different.

Sturgis is a great rally. Amazing topography all around the black hills. Tons of great riding and so so different from any thing on the east coast.

Laconia was an interesting rally. The rally itself didn't do much for me but that's just me. Now the surrounding area and all the mountainous riding was way way cool.

Now I do love Daytona I guess because it's in my back yard. I love the races, the beach, the freaks on main Street (yes I consider my self one too). And I guess I have to defend Florida a bit. For those that say there isn't good riding. Like another member said.......get off the interstate. Get on that ride planner and see some great back country of Florida. Yes it's flat but no its not straight.

I was just at the Leesburg bikefest and plotted a ride through the Ocala national forest. Wow what a ride. I, by design, hit every little backward tiny little road I could ride and it was awesome. And hell, that's just one area.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I love the rallys for several reasons. A good destination,  lots to see going to and coming home. And tons of cool stuff to see while there. As well as how vastly different this beautiful country is from corner to another.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

FLHXHS

• 2020 FLHTKSE
    • BC

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE [traded - I miss her]
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 09:45:50 PM »

Rallys - More like motorcyclist gatherings... [So some rally riders told me...]

I've been to Sturgis 3.5 times [one was an early one.] -2013, 2014[e], 2015, 2019.
I went to Daytona in 2019.

I prefer Sturgis. I live in Western Canada. 13, 14, 15 rode from N. Alberta to Sturgis. 2019 was on a "sabbatical" and took in both that year.

Daytona had some cool aspects to it, but it was definitely "Trailer Week." It is different for sure, and the beach vibe is cool. The downtown strip has lots to see, as many are breaking away from winter.

Sturgis, being the middle of summer, you're in the thick of ridin' season. Great roads, usually great bands, lots of fun. I think a lot of non-riders are going now to get the music festival vibe. More twisty roads, and elevation

I've not done the other big rallys, but we did do the 113th Anniversary in Milwaukee for 2013. Great bands also, and lots of Harley-Davidson experience.

If you can, ride. I get not having time, nor the stamina to trailer, but leave a few "I rode mine" patches for those that did - ha ha.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 07:39:14 AM »

Rallys - More like motorcyclist gatherings... [So some rally riders told me...]

I've been to Sturgis 3.5 times [one was an early one.] -2013, 2014[e], 2015, 2019.
I went to Daytona in 2019.

I prefer Sturgis. I live in Western Canada. 13, 14, 15 rode from N. Alberta to Sturgis. 2019 was on a "sabbatical" and took in both that year.

Daytona had some cool aspects to it, but it was definitely "Trailer Week." It is different for sure, and the beach vibe is cool. The downtown strip has lots to see, as many are breaking away from winter.

Sturgis, being the middle of summer, you're in the thick of ridin' season. Great roads, usually great bands, lots of fun. I think a lot of non-riders are going now to get the music festival vibe. More twisty roads, and elevation

I've not done the other big rallys, but we did do the 113th Anniversary in Milwaukee for 2013. Great bands also, and lots of Harley-Davidson experience.

If you can, ride. I get not having time, nor the stamina to trailer, but leave a few "I rode mine" patches for those that did - ha ha.

My wife and I rode to the 110th Anniversary in Milwaukee for 2013.  I rode my 2013 CVO Road King, 110th Anniversary edition up to Milwaukee.  I was fortunate enough to get to carry the HOG Chapter Flag in the 110th Parade on my 110th Anniversary bike.

I really had a good time in Milwaukee.  From there we went North to see the Apostle Islands. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »

I would pick Sturgis.  After two days of vendors, crowds and drunks you'll probably want to get away and ride.  In that vein Sturgis offers better places to ride.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 07:00:22 PM »

I would agree with Dave. As far as Daytona being trailer week. Us up here north of KY don't have much of a choice but to trailer because of the weather lol....When I went in 14' there was an ice storm in Tenn and Ky on the way home..... :(

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »

I’ve been to Sturgis 15 times as we only live 650 miles away. It used to be a day ride, now I split it into two because I’m retired and can. Usually spend one day at vendors looking, then getting T-shirts for the grand kids. Love getting up early and beating the crowds for rides. Such beauty in the hills.
Haven’t been to Daytona. So can’t compare. Would like to get there some day.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 11:11:44 AM »

Been 5 times to Sturgis two of those cheating with the Toyhauler since the wife was along and most importantly my favorite person my DOG.  We have a local rally in Washington State called the Oyster Run which was started several years back by a local Bandito chapter. It was killed by the China Virus this year.  It began as a Sunday only and grew in to unofficially three day event.  Even though it was canceled by the city they're were in several solo riders and groups showing up.

Sturgis and the riding getting there from here and staying off i90 is a good three to four day ride.... in no particular order The Big Horn Mt's, North Cascade, Yellowstone etc...

Was there last year and thinking of going back again this summer....

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 11:43:59 AM »

Over the years my wife and I have attended

Sturgis (2) and at least 3 other times not during rally
Daytona  (2)
Myrtle Beach Bike Week
Laconia (1/2) bike accident on way put an end to that trip (all okay with us and new ride though)
Americade (4)
Rolling Thunder
Love Run
Street Vibrations (2)
Port Dover Friday The 13th (too many to remember)
Numerous Provincial & State rallies
A few National rallies - CA & US
Obviously we trailered to Daytona but road to the rest from home accept The Love Run - trailered to Las Vegas then rode to LA

The one we missed and regret it is Laughlin River Run, but safe to say, we are rallied out!

To answer your question, which is best Sturgis or Daytona?  IMHO, it is Sturgis hands down, without a doubt, and absolutely!  For the riding alone, but I must say we enjoy it so much more in July or September without all the traffic, and as I say , we are rallied out.

ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

FLHXHS

• 2020 FLHTKSE
    • BC

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE [traded - I miss her]
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:18 PM »

My wife and I rode to the 110th Anniversary in Milwaukee for 2013.  I rode my 2013 CVO Road King, 110th Anniversary edition up to Milwaukee.  I was fortunate enough to get to carry the HOG Chapter Flag in the 110th Parade on my 110th Anniversary bike.

I really had a good time in Milwaukee.  From there we went North to see the Apostle Islands.

The 110th was quite the experience. Hoped to, but didn't make the 115th. Hoping the 120th is as big of an event as the 110th. Maybe WE can connect and have a beer, Dave..?

H

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 08:43:36 AM »

The 110th was quite the experience. Hoped to, but didn't make the 115th. Hoping the 120th is as big of an event as the 110th. Maybe WE can connect and have a beer, Dave..?

H
My wife an I have been thinking about going for the 120th.  So it may be a possibility 

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »

I live in Deltona, and as far as I'm concerned, the riding is great because we have only 2 seasons, and a huge area to ride in. I like Sturgis, mainly because it's a great area to ride, and visit places that I don't see frequently. Laconia, Lake George areas are great also. Hey, if you enjoy riding as much as I do, anywhere is a home run  ;).
John
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:49:07 PM by johnsachs »

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 06:27:35 PM »

Hey Dave do have any intel on the 120th? I went to the 105th and like you had a blast....

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 07:37:05 AM »

Hey Dave do have any intel on the 120th? I went to the 105th and like you had a blast....

No, haven't heard anything yet.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.