Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Android Auto  (Read 656 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Android Auto
« on: November 22, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »

I see a good bit of posting about Apple car play but not much about Android auto.

So here is my experience with Android auto. Funny it's very similar to Apple car play.

Android auto is very very glitchy to say the least. It constantly drops out and then will reconnect.......sometimes. Quite often I'll get the " an error has occurred " message and I have to unplug phone and replug it in. Sometimes this works and sometimes no.

Just recently it was working good. For say a couple of weeks maybe more. Less drops. Able to send and receive text and what's app messages. Waze working good etc. Then out of nowhere for some reason it went back to being almost worthless.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times to no avail. I can't test it on my truck cause my truck is a 2015 Android auto not available. But it does work great on my girlfriends car. So I'm guessing like apply car play, it doesn't wanna play nice with the Harley stuff. But I have no way of proving that.

Maybe some of you guys have a secret with Android auto I haven't tried yet?

It can be very frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Glenncarp

Re: Android Auto
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 09:19:23 AM »

I see a good bit of posting about Apple car play but not much about Android auto.

So here is my experience with Android auto. Funny it's very similar to Apple car play.

Android auto is very very glitchy to say the least. It constantly drops out and then will reconnect.......sometimes. Quite often I'll get the " an error has occurred " message and I have to unplug phone and replug it in. Sometimes this works and sometimes no.

Just recently it was working good. For say a couple of weeks maybe more. Less drops. Able to send and receive text and what's app messages. Waze working good etc. Then out of nowhere for some reason it went back to being almost worthless.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times to no avail. I can't test it on my truck cause my truck is a 2015 Android auto not available. But it does work great on my girlfriends car. So I'm guessing like apply car play, it doesn't wanna play nice with the Harley stuff. But I have no way of proving that.

Maybe some of you guys have a secret with Android auto I haven't tried yet?

It can be very frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

I had the same issue then switched to the cable that comes with phone and it worked. I think the issue was the non factory cable was not making correct contact in phone socket, but that is just my stupid theory.

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:36 AM »

Thanks. I'll try a factory Samsung cable. Sure can't hurt anything.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 10:00:02 AM »

Thanks. I'll try a factory Samsung cable. Sure can't hurt anything.

Please report back. I only used it 2 times and had no issues, would be nice if this was def the fix

RustyBrainpan

• SC

• CVO1: 2020 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »

I use Android Auto constantly in my truck, cars and on my scooter with the GTS.  99% of the time if there is an issue with AA it is always the cable.  I have a terrible time with cables from Amazon and use mostly high quality USB3 cables that I have gotten with external SSD drives or the original Samsung cables for my phones.  With these cables I have 0 issues with AA, any other cables there will be constant disconnects, odd behavior with the mapping functions and drop outs in media playback.  Most any problem in this thread I have had at one time or another and always solved by going back to the original Samsung cable or a high quality one from an external SSD.

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 05:32:55 PM »

OK so here is the deal. I did in fact get a Samsung cable. It seems as though Android Auto is working for probably 95% of what it's suppose to do.

My issue is with the mic dropping out. I can receive text and what's app messages. Android Auto will play them for me. And ask if I wanna respond. When I try and reply the mic goes dead. It will not pick up my voice. I can click the little microphone button and say send text message to John doe. It will reply OK John doe what's the message. That's when the mic goes dead. I am never able to send a message.

It works for phones calls, waze, podcasts, weather, GPS etc. Just can't make the mic stay hot for follow up for texts.

Oddly it was working great until about 2 weeks ago. Then it just stopped and I have no idea why.

I'm at a loss.

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.