Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaking Front Left Fork???  (Read 1871 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Leaking Front Left Fork???
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:12:51 AM »

During our trip this past weekend, I noticed a thin filmy oiley mist all over the left side of the engine and up near the front fork and on the lower part of the inner fairing....the part that follows the contour of the fork.  I am at 28K miles right now and had the fork oil changed at 15K or 20K.

I also have to admit that at times the bike handled pretty bad especially sweepers at 75-80 and the bumps were worse than usual.

I am thinking that my front left fork is leaking somewhere.  I have not had time to get a flashlight and look really close.  Are there anythings I can look for or telltale signs?  I really don't know anything about the front suspension.

I will be calling the shop tomorrow but would like to know what to say/tell/describe about the problem.

No pics yet but will try when I get home tonight.

/Bill
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 09:14:59 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Leaking Front Left Fork???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:34:57 AM »

During our trip this past weekend, I noticed a thin filmy oiley mist all over the left side of the engine and up near the front fork and on the lower part of the inner fairing....the part that follows the contour of the fork.  I am at 28K miles right now and had the fork oil changed at 15K or 20K.

I also have to admit that at times the bike handled pretty bad especially sweepers at 75-80 and the bumps were worse than usual.

I am thinking that my front left fork is leaking somewhere.  I have not had time to get a flashlight and look really close.  Are there anythings I can look for or telltale signs?  I really don't know anything about the front suspension.

I will be calling the shop tomorrow but would like to know what to say/tell/describe about the problem.

No pics yet but will try when I get home tonight.

/Bill

Bill, I would assume the upper fork seal is leaking since that's about the only place it can get out the top. Not super hard to fix, more of a pain since the leg needs to come out.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:46:47 AM »

Feel between the cowbell and the lower leg, If its wet there the it is most likely the upper seal. When you had your fork oil changed what weight oil did they use? It is possible they overfilled it which would make it ride poorly, It could also have blown the seal.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 06:14:45 AM »

Feel between the cowbell and the lower leg, If its wet there the it is most likely the upper seal. When you had your fork oil changed what weight oil did they use? It is possible they overfilled it which would make it ride poorly, It could also have blown the seal.

Thanks!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.