Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: XM Reception  (Read 20376 times)

ekacsuta

• CVO for the CFO
  • Cubie Doobie Doo
XM Reception
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »

Does anyone have any trouble with the XM Satellite Radio reception? I have a 2007 SE Ultra Classic and the XM signal is absolutely horrible. It just continues to fade in and out...from 3 bars to nothing. Then no signal for long periods of time. I have taken the back in for the 1k mile service and told them. When I picked the bike up they said they did a software upgrade and the XM worked fine. Of course, I pulled away from the dealer and it works the same as when I took it in...crappy. Not sure whose bike the dealer test drive to try the XM?????? I called the dealer again ... over 2 weeks ago .... they said they had to call the problem in and would get back to me. So, since I still haven't heard from the dealer I called again. Now they are telling me that it could be because I have the Harley windshield bar on my bike and that could be interferring with the XM signal. Now I have to take the bike in again .... they are going to pull the faring and check to see if the XM antenna has moved or slipped or fallen ... and whatever.

Long story ... anyone else have this problem with XM reception? Do you have the metal bar and shield windshield trim?

XM Less in North Carolina
2007 SE Ultra Classic
Reinhart True Duals
SE Air
Power Commander

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: XM Reception
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »

Does anyone have any trouble with the XM Satellite Radio reception? I have a 2007 SE Ultra Classic and the XM signal is absolutely horrible. It just continues to fade in and out...from 3 bars to nothing. Then no signal for long periods of time. I have taken the back in for the 1k mile service and told them. When I picked the bike up they said they did a software upgrade and the XM worked fine. Of course, I pulled away from the dealer and it works the same as when I took it in...crappy. Not sure whose bike the dealer test drive to try the XM?????? I called the dealer again ... over 2 weeks ago .... they said they had to call the problem in and would get back to me. So, since I still haven't heard from the dealer I called again. Now they are telling me that it could be because I have the Harley windshield bar on my bike and that could be interferring with the XM signal. Now I have to take the bike in again .... they are going to pull the faring and check to see if the XM antenna has moved or slipped or fallen ... and whatever.

Long story ... anyone else have this problem with XM reception? Do you have the metal bar and shield windshield trim?

ekacsuta,
I have some fading problems, but only when I get in heavy foilage (lots of overhead trees and leaves) or under an overpass, etc, where the signal could be blocked.  I have the windshield bar that has the three cut-outs and the bar and shield engraved into it...and have no signal reception problems related to that.  I think my radio fades or loses signal a little more than my wifes car radio does, but that's because of the location of the antenna in the fairing, compared to being on the highest point on the roof of her car.  She gets a better line-of-sight shot no matter what direction she's driving.  I find that I get more fading, if I'm driving Northeast, because the antenna is in it's most blocked condition with the satellite signal coming from the southwest.  Hope that makes sense.  Your antenna may have to be relocated or your entire XM module replaced.  The sensitivity might not be good enough on the receiver.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:17:03 AM »

Tell them to try again...........I have the windshield trim piece and I get XM just fine and only two momentary problems on my ride from the Atlantic ocean (North Carolina)  to the Pacific ocean last June.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »

ekacsuta,

My reception experiences mirror Red's.  XM did have a major outage a week ago Monday May 21st but other than that it has been ok.

I was at Bestbuy the other day and saw that they had some antennas there that were larger (hockey puck size) and was wondering if they would improve my reception in the national forests around here (probably not).

Let us know what happens....

Mark

ekacsuta

• CVO for the CFO
  • Cubie Doobie Doo
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »

The bike is scheduled to go back in on Thursday. I will let you know what happens. And yes, Red Devil, I have the same 3 cutouts and bar & shield logo on the windshield trim. Thanks to everyone ... seems like it is a unique problem with either the antenna or a bum radio. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
ed
2007 SE Ultra Classic
Reinhart True Duals
SE Air
Power Commander

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:16:09 PM »

I had the same problem you described on my Roadglide.  I removed the antenna from above the radio (where they tell you to install it) and placed it at the intersection between the windscreen and the inner fairing.  Hardly noticeable and has worked perfect ever since.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »

The bike is scheduled to go back in on Thursday. I will let you know what happens. And yes, Red Devil, I have the same 3 cutouts and bar & shield logo on the windshield trim. Thanks to everyone ... seems like it is a unique problem with either the antenna or a bum radio. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
ed

Ed, I have the same windshield trim. I too have a problem with the XM. It occurs mainly when I'm under heavy tree cover or by tall buildings. I've taken the same route with my truck which has the antenna mounted on the roof with no problems. I think it is the location of the antenna inside the fairing. When I have the XM on my Garmin turned on with the GMX-30 antenna (Garmin's antenna) in the lower I receive reception fine. This leads me to think it is placement. I would not buy the line that the needed time to do a 'software update'. I may be wrong but I would think someone here would have known if there was an update. The only software up date is for the radio which is v8.19 and can be downloaded for free at http://www.harley-davidson.com/cp/moar/en/overview.asp . Your solution may be to move the XM antenna to a different spot on the bike. Hope this helps.

AJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »

Fortunately mine works fine.  It's in the stock location mounted on the stock bracket using the stock antenna on a bike with that same windshield trim.  So it can work that way.  Good luck.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 12:35:25 PM »

Good afternoon ekacsuta !

:welcome_005: on the CVO website !

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE.

It'll be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread "New Member Introduction"
with a pic of your bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Best regards

:vrolijk_26:  Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:30 PM »

I had the same problem you described on my Roadglide.  I removed the antenna from above the radio (where they tell you to install it) and placed it at the intersection between the windscreen and the inner fairing.  Hardly noticeable and has worked perfect ever since.   

That's exactly where I relocated mine to. Also had the same poor reception problem on a previous E-G with a XM roadie. Moved it to the outside also. Don't know why some work and some don't when they're inside the fairing. On my 03, before I moved it outside, i tried three different locations inside the fairing, but none worked. Like IROAR said, nobody had even mentioned seeing it, especially on a black bike.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »

No issues with my reception as channel 49 rocks most of the time
Now if I get along the lake where lots of overhead tree limbs are it might fade in and out a bit
Pretty sure I also have the band for windshield and fairing that you are speaking about

Also have XM in my home, work vehicle and personal vehicle with little to no issues.

jeffj

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »

Channel 46 TOP TRACKS!!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »

Channel 46 TOP TRACKS!!
Rocks.   :cherry:   :huepfenjump3:   :bananarock:   :huepfenjump3:   :cherry: 

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »

No problems with mine other than the   :soapbox: reception issues in the hills with lots of trees. Of course I prefer my IPOD and only use my XM when the juice runs out in my IPOD batteries (8 + hrs) . Hope the dealer gets it fixed or replaced for you though!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »

Had the same problem with mine...constantly fading in and out, losing the signal, reloading. Moved the antenna to the top of the radio, thinking it would have a better shot through that part of the fairing, as it's pretty much a clean uninterupted plane of material.  No difference.  Finally took the bracket out of the fairing as all it was doing was taking up space, unstuck the antenna from the top of the radio, cleaned off a place right on top center of the leather dash, and stuck it down, protecting the wire between the inner/outer fairing with a little cushion of foam tape.

Works perfectly now...the only time I lose a signal is an extended overpass, or really, really thick forest hanging over the road and I'm down in a valley.  That's where mine will stay...listen to it all the time now.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.