Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowering [rear] suspension - question  (Read 14293 times)

RoadKingHog

• Black Diamond/Silver Dust
  • Junior CVO Member
  • May the sun shine ahead, and the wind at your back

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible
Lowering [rear] suspension - question
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »

:help:Has anyone had experience replacing rear air shocks on touring CVO for purpose of lowering the bike??  I have an 08 SERK which I'm fairly happy with (with exception of electronic throttle control lag from a stand-still.)  I've got a solo CC seat which I have had shaved and narrowed as much as the seat pan will allow.  But with a six gallon fuel tank I have to spread my legs a little wide when stopped and find myself standing on the balls of my feet.  Lowering the bike seems like my next trial and error $1000 expense.

Can someone share their experience regarding lowering the bike?  I'm considering starting with rear shocks only first but am a little concerned the overall handling may change the feel of the bike - especially if I don't also change the front slider springs to match the lowered rear end.

Is there any product (Harley or aftermarket) that seems to work best for suspension handling, installation/fit, durability??

Thanks.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dan
2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Progressive 940 Rear Shocks
Motolights
Kuryakyn Floorboard Relocator Brackets
Heel Guard

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Lowering [rear] suspension - question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »

I have lowered a lot of my bikes, some with air shocks and some with lowering kits.  Most of them to the point the handling was affected to make it worse.  The best I ever did was lower the rear only 2 inches and left the front alone.  The handling was great.

I am sure you will get all sorts of responses, this is just mine. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »

I don't know about a RK but I used the low profile touring shocks on my UC. It lowered the rear by about 1 1/2". Handling didn't seem to change any and riding solo I didn't notice any difference in the ride other than the footboards scrape a little quicker if I don't watch some of the corners. Doesn't happen very often though. Riding 2 up the ride is slightly harsher sometimes on sharp edged bumps from the shocks bottoming out from less suspension travel.

shindo

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 Inferno SG

• CVO1: 2011 Inferno/Blk SG
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »

If you want to go cheap and experiment just get a rear shock relocating kit. This will set the shock angle back a bit from stock and lower the rear an inch and some designs 1 1/2'' . It worked for my ultra and did not change the handling. I also lowered the front with progressive springs.
You can find these kits on ebay,JP cycles,Drag specialties and many more places. I may try a set on my street glide when it shows up, but an adjustable air ride system will find it's way on the bike some day .
2011 O/B SG King TP, Woods 555 cams,DD fatcat,ThunderMax with more to come.

RoadKingHog

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »

Thanks Shindo.  Sounds like a good (experimental) option.  I know a few years ago on my wife's Fatboy (at the time) we lowered her bike via shocks and it did lower it but distinctly recall it made the ride stiffer, especially over bumps.

I don't mind spending the money for a tried and proven product, but man it gets expensive to try something (parts and labor) and then find out it's not what I intended to gain.

Your suggestion sounds like there are some form of relocating mounting bracket hardware that simply relocates the OEM shocks in-place but changes the angle/travel/height.  It's a good experimental option.  I guess if the rear shock relocation mounting works, then I can always lower the front end with replaced springs.

Thanks for tip.

Dan
2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Motolights
Heel Guard

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »

The standard shock in cvo models is one inch lower in the back from the non-cvo bikes.
I am told the front is unchanged from non-cvo models. 

Two up riding and clearance will be a concern if you lower it further.  Maybe the thickness of your seat can be modified in lieu of the suspension changes you contemplate.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »

I have the legends on back and they take a little time to adjust. I am happy with the shocks but to do over again would prolly go for the Arnott's as they are less $$, but Arnott's compressor pumps up and releases much faster so might still buy their compressor and change out. Last time I checked it can be had for less than $100. I have the traxxion AK20's in the front at normal height and very happy with the their performance.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »

The CVO Road Kings and the Road King Customs already come an inch lower, not sure how much lower you want to go. I drag my floorboards and floorboard mounts couldn't imagine taking it any lower. The newer ones have the taller wheels, but with lower profile rubber, bit sure how much difference in conference there is?

I take that back the newer CVO Road Kings do sit higher than my Road King Custom, just looked up the specs. Ground Clarence on the RKC is 4.7" a 08 CVO RK is 5.50". Seat on mike is 26.1" the 08 is 27.50".

Craig
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:45:07 PM by Talon »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

The standard shock in cvo models is one inch lower in the back from the non-cvo bikes.I am told the front is unchanged from non-cvo models.  

Two up riding and clearance will be a concern if you lower it further.  Maybe the thickness of your seat can be modified in lieu of the suspension changes you contemplate.

Not ALL CVO's are lowered and inch...the SEUC and the SERGU are standard height suspension.  I'm pretty sure the SERK('07 model, not sure about the '08) is and I know the SEEG ('04/'05's)are already an inch lower, front and rear.  The new SESG is lower in the rear, but may be standard in the front...I'm not sure about that one.  
To the OP....I'd be careful about lowering the rear end much more...you need to consider that there is a wiring harness that runs on the inside top of the rear fender, and if the suspension is too low, the tire can rub that harness from time to time and cause some real problems.

As mentioned, if your main concern is getting it low when you have to walk it around to park, back up, etc, then something like the Legend Air or the Arnott system works best.  I had to put Legends on my '06 SEUC, and now put them on my SERGU...I have a 29" inseam...perhaps 28.5", so getting the bike lower was a real concern for me, but I did NOT want to give up the suspension travel on either end when just riding, or typical stop and go situations.  If needed, I can drop the rear a bit in redlight to redlight riding conditions, but then raise it back up when I don't need to be as concerned with having my feet flatter on the ground.  If I need to, I can drop the rear end 3", but only do so when parking the bike, or situations where I must have my feet as flat on the ground as is possible for me.  Though neither the Legends or the Arnott's are the BEST shock out there, they do serve to get you lower when needed, and the actual shock itself is much improved over the stock crap.  This is my opinion on what I would do if I were in your shoes:  I'd have the front forks rebuilt with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges to normal, full travel, then put the Legends or Arnott shocks in the rear, again using full travel (13" from eye to eye) shocks.  For the front, you could also take a look at the Progressive Monotubes, but I'd still put the bike back to full suspension travel, rather than an inch lower.  This would give you full suspension travel, better clearance for cornering, and better load capacity.  Again, this is my opinion, but having full travel on suspension is important to me for handling purposes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:54:57 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »

As noted by others, the SERK was already lowered in the rear from the factory, and further lowering should be done only after making certain you won't affect safety.  You really don't want floorboards digging into the pavement and levering the tires off the ground, for instance, nor do you want the tire rubbing inside the fender.  And don't forget that you will also sacrifice comfort with shorter shocks, since they have less available travel.  Harley offers a front end lowering kit that can be used with your stock Profile lowered rear shocks, btw, and that might help some.  It claims to lower the front 1", which would probably translate to 1/4" -1/2" where your feet hit the road.

I know you mentioned already having the seat modified, but how about your riding boots?  Find some boots with thicker high traction soles; it made a world of difference for me.  If you're determined to go with further lowering, at least make absolutely certain of your tire clearance and consider raising your floorboard mounts in the frame holes (there are three holes, front and rear, for vertical adjustment). 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RoadKingHog

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »

C'mon man!!  You want me to wear lifts!??  I'm not that short.  (5ft 7 1/2 with a 29 -30 inseam.) 

I really do appreciate your input.  The central theme by everyone is to be careful not to lower too much which may affect tire/fender clearance or floorboard mount clearance which may affect cornering clearance, etc.

That's why I posed the question on this site so folks with previous similar experience can share their pros & cons.

I think I may put the OEM seat back on and see how high it feels.  The problem I may be experiencing may not be in height, rather width of the seat at the thigh area.  I had Chuck at CC Seats (California) re-shape (lower and narrow) the seat as much as possible, limited by the pan.  I really like the seat, stitch designed to match the saddle bag design and I do like the way it cradles and indexes me into the seat - especially when riding in places like the Dragon.  The OEM bench seat makes me feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike - sliding around.

Oh well, life is good.

Thanks again.
2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Motolights
Heel Guard

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »

:) :) :)

Progressive makes both the Monotube and ultra touring rear shocks which will lower the entire bike by two inches and leave the handling the same (except for ground clearance).

I have the monotubes on my 11 CVO Road Glide and love the new ride.  Over 2500 miles and the bike handles great.

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 22 queries.