Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Blue FXR3 Owner with a few questions  (Read 2927 times)

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 Blue Flame FXR3
New Blue FXR3 Owner with a few questions
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »

Hi everyone. I have been a lurker for a while, joined so I could see all the beautiful pictures, and now finally am a owner. I picked up my Blue 3 about 1 1/2 hours away from where I live with 6700 miles, one owner. I can honestly say that this bike is so SMOOTH unlike any other bike. I absolutely love knowing that I own one of the best bikes ever produced by the MOCO. I do have a question regarding vibrations. I have a lot of vibration spot on at 2K RPM, any gear, through the foot pegs. Is this normal? What product do you recommend to take away discoloring of the pipes. I have one major spot in the ugly bend on front pipe. Other than that, this bike is amazing. Pics will come later, I promise.

Tom

Sandmantx96

Re: New Blue FXR3 Owner with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »

There is a product that your local H-D dealership should carry in the parts dept. I cant remember the name but it will remove that heat bluing. I did find this web site that advertises a product that claims to do what you want. www.blue-job.com

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

Hi everyone. I have been a lurker for a while, joined so I could see all the beautiful pictures, and now finally am a owner. I picked up my Blue 3 about 1 1/2 hours away from where I live with 6700 miles, one owner. I can honestly say that this bike is so SMOOTH unlike any other bike. I absolutely love knowing that I own one of the best bikes ever produced by the MOCO. I do have a question regarding vibrations. I have a lot of vibration spot on at 2K RPM, any gear, through the foot pegs. Is this normal? What product do you recommend to take away discoloring of the pipes. I have one major spot in the ugly bend on front pipe. Other than that, this bike is amazing. Pics will come later, I promise.

Tom

It's called BlueJob.  The vibration could be a broken motor mount in the front lower.  Also if its an aftermarket exhaust, make sure the exhaust brackets are attached to the motor and tranny and to each other only.  Being an FXR (Rubber) mounted means that the exhaust need to vibrate with the engine. The rubber mounts do dry our and break. also oil soaks that part when the filter is changed.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

Thanks for the hints. I will definitely pick some up. The exhaust is stock head pipes with Screaming Eagle mufflers. The bike doesn't vibrate excessively at idle, so I don't think it would be a motor mount. Could it just be the pegs? Would a bad motor mount transfer that vibration through the pegs? Thanks guys.

Buck0

• '99 FXR3: SE Slip-ons, SE AC, Thunderslide Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »

Mine vibrates the same way between 1,800 and about 2,100. I have read other places that this is common on evo motors so I have not been to concerned about it.
You don't have to run faster than the hungry bear, you just have to run faster than those around you.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »

TLS,
Congrats on your new Blue!  Did you buy the one in Allentown, PA that was recently for sale?

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »

Yes, that was the one that I bought. Really great bike, still getting used to it. Have you found the same vibrations on yours James?

Tom

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:36 AM »

TLS,
Can't say that mine vibrates excessively at 1,800 rpm.  Although it does vibrate more than stock @ higher speeds, as I've changed the gearing to 3.36:1. You may want to replace the motor mounts.  Depending on how and where it was stored, they might have dry-rotted.  If not the mounts, then something internal/mechanical?  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:20:47 PM by JamesButler »

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »

original owner of my 1999 FXR3 and mine has always vibrated in that RPM Range. 

Good Luck

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

That's good to hear fxr3joe, i picked one up 2 weeks ago and it has a slight vibration man I like this chopper !!!!

ro9beam2002

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »

When i bought mine, i never noticed any vibration "wasn't looking for it"... for 180miles... that's not to say once i start riding it more it want do it....  My 2002 t-sport has an odd vibration in between  50-55mph and has always had it...i just ride through and cruise around 70mph:)

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

Alright guys, I figured out the issue. It turns out that my shifter arm was halfway off. That was causing excessive vibrations through the pegs. I also took it on a 1300mi trip last week and it performed well, except for one hiccup. A wire ended up chaffing under the tank which led to the coil. I was stranded (with others) 3 miles from the hotel. In the end, I got my bike back and absolutely loving it! Ride safe everyone.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.