Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Who Rebuilds Arnott Aldan Air Shocks  (Read 4182 times)

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
Who Rebuilds Arnott Aldan Air Shocks
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

The Arnott Aldan 13" air shocks on my wife's 2009 FLTRSE3 are leaking air and Arnott won't rebuild them since we aren't the original purchaser. Does anyone else rebuild these expensive shocks or should I just go back to stock? Thanks for any info.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

hogasm

Re: Who Rebuilds Arnott Aldan Air Shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »

Try a company that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »

PM sent.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »

Puzzled, PM sent to you.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »

Are you saying Arnot will not rebuild then EVEN IF YOU PAY THEM?
Bob

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »

YES, that's what I'm saying. And they won't even sell you just the shocks to replace bad ones, they only will sell the whole kit including pump. Of course, the shocks I have would be covered under warranty if I was the original purchaser but since they were on the bike we purchased, they won't do anything. Wife really likes the system since she's short and can lower the bike to move it but I'm not going to spend the money to buy a whole kit when their shocks went bad in such a short time. I would even like to try to figure out how to take them apart so maybe I can rebuild them myself. I just can't quite figure out how to get started taking them apart yet.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:34:37 PM by hogdooz »

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »

YES, that's what I'm saying. And they won't even sell you just the shocks to replace bad ones, they only will sell the whole kit including pump. Of course, the shocks I have would be covered under warranty if I was the original purchaser but since they were on the bike we purchased, they won't do anything. Wife really likes the system since she's short and can lower the bike to move it but I'm not going to spend the money to buy a whole kit when their shocks went bad in such a short time. I would even like to try to figure out how to take them apart so maybe I can rebuild them myself.
That is the worse case of customer service I've heard in a while! Why wouldn't a mfg offer to fix the problem at the customer's expense?
...unless their product comes as a complete system and the person you talked to didn't want to open a kit to replace the defective one(s).
Just don't make sense...maybe they don't realize their dick on the phone is pissing customers off?
These are one of the most expensive systems on the market...you'd think customer service would be second-to-none.  :nixweiss:

Bob

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »

That was what I thought too, I had talked to them previously about rebuilding them because they were too stiff for my wife as a single rider and there didn't seem to be a problem. Then shortly after that, they started leaking air (I verified it is the shocks leaking, not the air system) and called in for a return authorization, that's when they told me they only took care of warranty work to the original purchaser, and wouldn't do anything even at customer expense.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »

Arnott is changing for sure.............

They no longer want to sell parts other than replacement parts for kits that you already purchased or complete kits. This includes to us dealers also, I was told this first hand yesterday by Bill in the motorcycle division when I was dealing with a warranty issue. It is my understanding people like myself want all of the parts from the kit minus the shocks and "It is messing up our order process/inventory" is what I was told. No problem as there are several other companies out there that I can purchase air systems from. Nice knowing you... see yeah....
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »

Puzzled, another PM sent.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »

Long way around but if perhaps you know (or can locate) the original purchaser you could have him/her send in the shocks for repair.

Their customer 'no service' attitude toward you and the dealer who posted won't win them any friends here.  I've got Legends on both my bikes and while I am the original purchaser on both I have dealt with them for various parts and never had anything but first class service.  If you do have to replace the system I highly recommend Legand Air Suspension.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »

Arnot shocks are Bilsteins (google them) with an air bag wrapped around it and the rest of mfg's are simply air dampers.
The ride quality between a properly designed shock with external air assist is night and day different than just air.
Bob

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »

Arnot shocks are Bilsteins (google them) with an air bag wrapped around it and the rest of mfg's are simply air dampers.
The ride quality between a properly designed shock with external air assist is night and day different than just air.
Bob

What exactly are the Legends in that case?  I've tried them both and I'm not of the opinion that the Arnotts are anywhere as nice riding as the Legends.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »

Bob
Legends are not simply air dampers.  They use hydraulic fluid internally and external air assist as you described.  I know this first hand because after several years one of my Legends sprung a leak and I had a puddle of oil on my muffler and under the bike.  And when I contacted them they confirmed the construction of the shock.  They replaced the defective shock at no charge.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

Why couldn't you use the Monroe Shocks PUZZLED used? and mate them up to the Arnott air pump?

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.