Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: '12 Last Year for Air Cooled  (Read 5594 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
'12 Last Year for Air Cooled
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »

A salesman at one of the local dealer asked my wife if I was still interested in the SERG and she replied that it would be '13 before I was ready to look with serious intent. He told her that I might want to look at one of the new '12s because this is the last year for air cooled motors and after that they'd all be water cooled like the V-Rods.

You think this guy is really the owner of the MoCo posing as a salesman? :huepfenlol2: He seems to know an awful lot. That sounded more like a desperate sales pitch to me. Pathetic!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: '12 Last Year for Air Cooled
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »

Tell him to put up, or shut up!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »

I would love to have a water cooled HD V-Twin.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »

Ain't gonna happen yet, best that might be is water cooled heads
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »

A salesman at one of the local dealer asked my wife if I was still interested in the SERG and she replied that it would be '13 before I was ready to look with serious intent. He told her that I might want to look at one of the new '12s because this is the last year for air cooled motors and after that they'd all be water cooled like the V-Rods.

You think this guy is really the owner of the MoCo posing as a salesman? :huepfenlol2: He seems to know an awful lot. That sounded more like a desperate sales pitch to me. Pathetic!
The last place you want to get information on a Harley Davidson would be at most dealerships, I have overheard misinformation handed out as gospel, to try and make a sale. HD has applied for a patent on watercooled heads but even that might be years away.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:27:36 PM by dartman »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »

My impressions was that he was trying to scare us into an earlier purchase, "cause soon they will loose the Harley soul". I guess he thinks I'm dumber than he is. :P

If done well I told the wife that it will actually solve some of common problems of the air cooled bikes.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

Desperate measures.......that's what a couple of them were saying the past couple of years.  Time to find a new dealership.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »

Lot's of scuttle butt on the water cooled jacketed heads. We will see. Another BlackHole Release!!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »

I don't see a problem with water.........if it makes it better I'm for it. Ever be sitting in traffic(ie: Myrtle Bch) and smell your motor cooking?
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »

Ain't gonna happen yet, best that might be is water cooled heads

X2
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

gijerome

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »

I have seen that harley applied for a patent on water cooling the heads.  Also heard scuttle butt that there is a new round of emissions control to meet next year.  Wouldn't suprise me if next year some things change. www.thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/20/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »

"....it's Harley Davidson's plans to water cool the heads on their touring models by hiding the cooling system within the leg shield portions of the fairing."

Does that mean that all touring models will come with leg fairings or the water cooled heads will only be on those models with leg fairings?

And to answer that question:

"Although the patent shows and describes the cooling system installed on a Harley touring bike, the patent states:

Before any embodiments of the invention are explained in detail, it is to be understood that the invention is not limited in its application to the details of construction and the arrangement of components set forth in the following description or illustrated in the following drawings. The invention is capable of other embodiments and of being practiced or of being carried out in various ways. Also, it is to be understood that the phraseology and terminology used herein is for the purpose of description and should not be regarded as limiting.

... which basically means it can show up arranged to work on any of the bikes in their lineup."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:26:30 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

fastbikedroid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »

I think it's coming due to EU emissions regs, maybe on the 13 or the 14 models.  Fact is they did nothing on the 12's other than change the paint and add a couple of speakers to the SESG.  

Here's my uninformed list of what I think either 13 or 14 is going to bring:
* New controls like the the new BCM on the Softail
* Bolt-on water cooling like the patent that's floating around to get the emissions in check
* A larger motor than the 110

Here's what I'm pretty sure won't happen but that I'd like to see;
* Minor fairing tweaks for better air management without having to screw plastic bits everywhere (testing has come a long way in 40 years)
* Minor fairing and suspension tweaks to lower the weight and improve the handling of the batwing fairing
* A slightly stretched touring frame and some clever adjustability to accomodate taller/larger riders
* A revised radio headunit that keeps the gadgets hidden but can spit out a gps screen if we're touring.

Or maybe we'll just see new paint and some other variation of the P&A catalog ... Oh wait ... :)

-------------------
'10 BMW R1200Rt
'11 SESG / FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
Previously '10 FLSTSE

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »

The last place you want to get information on a Harley Davidson would be at most dealerships, I have overheard misinformation handed out as gospel, to try and make a sale. HD has applied for a patent on watercooled heads but even that might be years away.
That patent was approved and published in May
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

CVOfan

• 2012 FLHXSE3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: 2012 GMC Denali Duramax HD
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »

That's my opinion as well...dealer last week tried to convince me he was the only one in the country who had a 2012 SESG for sale.  That was right before he offered to sell me his for $5k over MSRP!  ....he still has the bike... >:(

V&H High Output headers
Fullsac 2" inserts
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.