Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Flush Mount Gas Cap  (Read 5613 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Flush Mount Gas Cap
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:07 PM »

Never had any issues personally and I also upgraded the wife's Softail a few years ago to the LED fuel gauge with flush mount filler and it's been all good. Guess we got lucky....

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 10:53:08 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Possibly because the design is so flimsy versus regular caps on bikes or cars, I get the feeling most people don't really twist them far enough to reliably seal the cap to the filler neck.  That most likely has a lot to do with the large number of complaints about fuel and vapors coming out of the cap.

I gotta disagree here.  after a couple of people have mentioned 'clicks', I went out and torqued the bejeezus out of mine.  no matter how tight I tighten it, no click.  I have never had any leaks or vapor problems either....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »

I gotta disagree here.  after a couple of people have mentioned 'clicks', I went out and torqued the bejeezus out of mine.  no matter how tight I tighten it, no click.  I have never had any leaks or vapor problems either....

Considering the huge tolerance range for most Harley components, it wouldn't surprise me to find that one cap "clicks" when it reaches a predetermined torque value while another one doesn't.  Or perhaps they changed something in the design after 2013 to add the click feature, I can't say one way or the other although the part number seems to have changed in 2014.  I do believe, however, that a lot of people, after reading about the problems from several years ago with the pop-up part of the cap coming apart, are not cranking the cap down as tight as necessary to fully seal them.  If the cap is made correctly, there should be no way for the owner to over-torque the cap to the point of failure.  Just like there is no way to over-torque the cap on a car.  I can keep turning the caps on my four wheeled vehicles until my wrist aches, and all they do is click until I get tired of wasting my time.  That's how the cap should be on a Harley as well, IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 06:50:18 PM »

you could very well be right.  there really should be no way to 'overtorque' the fuel cap.  I know that when I tighten mine, I just snug it up, and then press down, and 1/4 turn to make the cap flush.

Hoel Motors

• CVO1: flhxse3 citrus orange,fullsac x pipe with 2.25" baffles, TTS tuner
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »

Mine don't click, never had a problem until yesterday when fueling and couldn't get the cap on right on the first two tries

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »

My 2012 owners manual states "there is no ratchet in the fuel cap, therefore it will not click"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »

My 2012 owners manual states "there is no ratchet in the fuel cap, therefore it will not click"

OK, that explains the difference.  So far, those who say their caps don't click are running 2013 or earlier models, and  those who say their caps do click are running 2014 or later models.  So that part number change for 2014 obviously is relevant.  It sure takes H-D a long time to catch up to the rest of the world, even on something as simple as a gas cap. ;)

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:43 PM »

Lol. Or revert back. My 99 softail caps ratcheted.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »

2016 no ratchet cap here

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »

2016 no ratchet cap here

:confused5:     This is getting more and more weird.  Here's an idea for those of you who hang out at dealerships often and have a curiosity about this subject:  walk around the showroom and test all the flush mount gas caps you see, and keep track of how many ratchet (click or slip) and how many don't.  At this point all I can assume is that either Harley has a huge problem with their supplier or we are getting flawed information. 

Jerry

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »

luck of the draw?  just whatever happens to be in the parts bin?....

very interesting.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.