Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Hydraulic Clutch For The HD 6-Speed  (Read 4772 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hydraulic Clutch For The HD 6-Speed
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2004, 01:32:23 AM »

I honestly have not a clue what the price difference might be.  But were I of a mind to change to a six speed (which I'm not) I'd go with the Baker instead of the HD unit.  Just looks to be a better unit from about every measure.

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2004, 04:57:13 AM »

I don't have the six speed on my bike.
05 Green FLHTCSE2
Vance and Hines Dresser Duals
SE performance mufflers Kerker Mikuni baffles
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2004, 03:18:29 PM »

MAS:

It's hard to find all of the prior posts on the website after time has passed. I have posted on this issue before but i can;t fing them...so here goes again.

If you go down two teeth on the trans pulley, you will have to change belts, if you could find one that fits...you won't be able to do this.

If you use the HD-6peed with the change in pulleys, ist gear will wind out like a CJ in low range.

The HD six speed is manufactured by JIMS and Baker is a much better design.

There are two ways to go...Use a Baker Overdrive unit, which comes with a higher 1st gear...(2.84) and  change your promary gearing to 24/37...or

the new Hot Setup is the Direct Drive 6-speed with new primary gearing...Talk to Baker tech about this.

I  can tell you from experience that you will not be happy with the Harley setup.

I have a Baker overdrive setup in my SEEG with 24/37 gearing. I get a 5% boost in useable torque over stock. (I have dynoed the bike both ways) and rpm at 80mph is 3050, which is just about perfect.

Once again the boys at FREEDOM CYCLE in Reno helped with this setup. Brad Yuill, (775-848-8600) came up with the gearing and it works great. Also, no hydraulic clutch issues with the Baker...they furnish an adapter with the gearset.

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2004, 06:03:48 PM »

MAS:

If you use the HD-6peed with the change in pulleys, ist gear will wind out like a CJ in low range.

The HD six speed is manufactured by JIMS and Baker is a much better design...

I have a Baker overdrive setup in my SEEG with 24/37 gearing. I get a 5% boost in useable torque over stock. (I have dynoed the bike both ways) and rpm at 80mph is 3050, which is just about perfect.

PCC,

Changing the compensating sprocket is a good call, am doing so on my Big Dog right now for more of a hole shot. Probably do not have to change the primary chain with only a one tooth difference. So, it sounds like HD's 6 speed tranny uses the same low 1st gear (3.24?) as the 5 speed? Strange, one would think they would change the gearing.
  I have a Baker 6 speed overdrive on my Big Dog and it works very well. The current gearing is 24/36 70/32 with a 2.94 1st gear and I think that would work just fine on the Seeg. I would be interested in the Direct Drive as from what I understand there is no loss of power in 6th gear as opposed to my overdrive where there is.
05 Green FLHTCSE2
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2004, 06:15:40 PM »

MAS:
...the new Hot Setup is the Direct Drive 6-speed with new primary gearing...Talk to Baker tech about this.

I went to Baker's website and now understand the options. 25 to 24 comp sprocket if you go overdrive or 28 comp sprocket if you go DD6. Interesting, I wonder what the 1-5 gearing is equivalent too with the 28 and DD6, as now 6th speed is a 1:1 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]. I am not absorbing all the numbers at the moment[smiley=laugh.gif].
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 06:44:59 PM by mstern »
05 Green FLHTCSE2
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 4.475 seconds with 22 queries.