Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fender paint chip-quick question  (Read 7540 times)

Baranca

Fender paint chip-quick question
« on: March 03, 2004, 09:36:45 AM »

Bummer - out putting miles on the ride over the weekend and picked up a nice little paint chip on the front fender from a thrown stone. Debating whether to just leave it alone, try for a fix or what options are. Will HD sell touch up paint for CVO's? I need the starlite black.    :'(

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Fender paint chip-quick question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 09:46:31 AM »

Bummer - out putting miles on the ride over the weekend and picked up a nice little paint chip on the front fender from a thrown stone. Debating whether to just leave it alone, try for a fix or what options are. Will HD sell touch up paint for CVO's? I need the starlite black.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 09:47:25 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 10:01:03 AM »

i was told by cvo rep. at the reno street vib. that to come up with the starlight black color they mixed black and colbalt blue color( both colors avalible in touch up from harley,i,ve got 99 roadking colbolt blue)  this mix could get you close. i recall he told me they over sprayed black with the blue to come up with starlight. cheep tempory fix practice on some metal either mix color or apply one over other  $10 experiment---ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 08:39:47 AM »

You put this bike in the direct sun light and you will quickly see that it is not black, but kind of a very deep purple color with underlying starbursts of a blueish/purplish color.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Baranca

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 01:15:44 PM »

Oh well, things could ALWAYS be worse. I doubt this will be the only chip the SEEG will ever see, just the first. JCZ - Nice pics of the new ride! I'm really glad for you and that your wait is over. ENJOY!!  :)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 07:33:08 AM »

I talked to my dealer yesterday and he hasn't received any information yet from H-D on any of the '04 touch-up paints.  I find that kinda hard to believe, but I guess we'll just have to be patient.  We'll probably pick up a few more along the way, anyway :'( and then we can just hit them all at the same time.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 11:07:30 AM »

I talked to my dealer yesterday and he hasn't received any information yet from H-D on any of the '04 touch-up paints.

West Coast GTG   

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »

Hey Folks! - Just wanted to let you know if you didn't already, HD actually has a touch up kit for the SEEG - it's p/n 94231.  You'll get two (2) 1/2oz. bottles - one starlight black and the other candy cobalt.  The kit does exist in real life right now because I'm staring right at it. I assume there's a set for the orange/black available too - Retail = $15.95.  While on the subject of paint...now that I've got the paint in hand, does anybody know of a good auto body supply joint that mixes paint to sample?  HD does not release the paint formula even though I understand through my Milwaukee sources that PPG is the manufacturer. PJ

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 11:48:15 PM »

Thanks for the heads up PJ.

West Coast GTG   

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 04:52:11 AM »

Addendum: p/n for orange pearl/jet black touch up kit is 94229 and is listed as a 3-pak...wonder what the third color is? MSRP = $22.35. I'll post the SED p/ns on their thread. PJ

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 10:06:22 PM »

PJ, haven't heard from you in awhile, but if you're still out there, I wanted to say "Thanks!" for the part numbers for the touch-up kits.  With the information you provided, my parts guy was able to order the kit for me over the weekend.  Not sure he would've known where to look for the information he needed to get the job done if I wasn't able to walk in the door with the part numbers. [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 05:20:52 PM »

I bought the touch up paint several weeks ago from my dealer. It comes in a kit of t bottles ( blue and black) Ithink it was around $14. I touched up a very tiny nick on the tour pack lid edge and it matched perfectly.....
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1974 455 Firebird Formula
1977 CanAm
1989 20th anniv. Turbo Trans Am

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 07:45:18 PM »

Never used the stuff before.  A little nervous.  Is there a technique to using this, or is it just dab it on and hope for the best?  Thanks.

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 08:27:35 PM »

just dab it on in a few different coats, let it dry, sand smoothe with 2000, clearcoat, sand again with 2000 and buff-pollish with compound.......just take your time
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1974 455 Firebird Formula
1977 CanAm
1989 20th anniv. Turbo Trans Am

VIKING

• Awesome
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 10:41:51 PM »

While touring in AL back in Jan, I hit a gator and the rt saddle bag got a scab.
My dealer started to buff it out but went through the clear coat immediately.
He had it warranteed and I rec'd a new bag in 3 weeks.

FYI - A friend who is also on an FLHTCSE bought the touchup paint for both cobalt and the starlight back in December.
2013 FLTRXSE2, Atomic Orange and Grey; Rhinehart Racing Slip-ons; Fullsack Headers; Misc other
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.